Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

"Comes a Horseman" (1978) on TCM Sat. night/ Sun. morning

4 posts in this topic

I've heard a bit about this movie but never seen it - hope to record it tonight:

*Comes a Horseman* (1978) 2:45am ET

Rival ranchers battle over oil rights.

Cast: James Caan, Jane Fonda, Jason Robards Jr., George Grizzard Dir: Alan J. Pakula C-119 mins, TV-MA

Anyone here familiar with it? :)

Saw this when it first came out. It is a beautifully shot film with wondrous vistas. The actors are all top notch, especially Richard Farnsworth who got an Academy Award nomination got supporting actor if I remember correctly He was a stuntman who started out in 1937 doubling for Gary Cooper in "The Adventures of Marco Polo" He is a pleasure to watch.. But the film fell flat for some reason at least for me., the script was good as was the direction. I know a lot of people loved it, but it just didn't do it for me....

Although I am not much a fan of Jane Fonda, I am a fan of James Caan and also Jason Robards. And the director too, is one I esteem. So I'd consider myself a fan of this movie. I rate it somewhat like "China 9, Liberty 37" from the same circa. The cinematography in both is very fine. But this particular flick goes in more for use of camera and lighting and scenery to give a 'gravitas of the American West' than does its rather meager storyline. In the writing, it's almost like an episode of 'Gunsmoke'. Just three characters in the foreground. Fonda plays a hard-bitten prairie woman who detests the ways of men. She's forced to accept the good-intentioned help from hired-hand James Caan when Jason Robards grabs her land. Its set in the 1940s; is one thing odd about it.