Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Your Favorite "Rat Pack" movie?

27 posts in this topic

Over the last few days, I engaged in a mini-marathon of the main "Rat Pack" movies - Ocean's Eleven (1960), Sergeants 3 (1962), 4 for Texas (1963) and Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964).

Do you have a favorite Rat Pack movie, and if so, which one?

Threads dedicated to more detailed discussion of each can also be found in the genre forums:

*Ocean's Eleven*

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=151534

*Robin and the 7 Hoods*

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=151524

*Sergeants 3*

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=127472

*4 for Texas*

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=151551

Also, just for the sake of completeness, I guess I should mention that even though these are the four movies included in the "Rat Pack Ultimate Collector's Edition" DVD boxset, there are also other movies considered "Rat Pack" films according to Wikipedia:

Rat Pack films

* *Some Came Running* (1958) (Sinatra, Martin, and MacLaine)

* *Never So Few* (1959) (Sinatra, Lawford, and initially Davis)

* *Ocean's Eleven* (1960) (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Lawford, and Bishop)

* *Sergeants 3* (1962) (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, Lawford, and Bishop)

* *4 for Texas* (1963) (Sinatra and Martin)

* *Robin and the 7 Hoods* (1964) (Sinatra, Martin, Davis, and initially Lawford)

* *Marriage on the Rocks* (1965) (Sinatra and Martin)

* *Texas Across the River* (1966) (Martin and Bishop)

* *Salt and Pepper* (1968) (Davis and Lawford)

Interesting. I just read that Bing Crosby was brought in to play the Peter Lawford part, after Sinatra and Lawford's falling out.

I think he's still good in it, especially when he sings and dances with Frank and Dino. :D

Five Down, None to Go. :D

Dean Martin also changed his name, and the case of Peter Lawford's

name is its own unique and weird story.

I like the "Rat Pack" films (although I was never able to finish SERGEANTS THREE.

But they're all like a two-hour long in-joke.

To some degree, that's exactly what they are. Though I think some of their movies can be enjoyed even if you don't appreciate or care for the "in-joke". But to me, mostly, they're an icon of their time, and I've been enjoying their movies even though I was never a huge fan of them.

Holly: Thank you for the list. Robin and the Seven Hoods and Texas Across the River are laugh riots. I have yet to see Sergeants 3 but want to. (who didn?t love Ruta Lee back then?) Most of those movies were well made; Some Came Running was a multi-Oscar nominee. While I liked the Clooney remake of Ocean?s Eleven, it didn?t match the original. I?ve not seen the rest.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Mar 13, 2010 11:35 AM

You're welcome, wouldbestar, don't forget to check out the Ocean's Eleven and Robin and the 7 Hoods threads in Gangsters/Film Noir, I'd love to hear from everyone who likes the Rat Pack! :D

I don't have a favorite movie because I was never a Frank Sinatra fan so my opinion is subjective.

Robin and the Seven Hoods showed the talent of the big three, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis, Jr.

There is a scene where all three are on stage dancing and singing. Davis is the most talented then Martin with Sinatra a distant third.

> {quote:title=immoviefan wrote:}{quote}

> I don't have a favorite movie because I was never a Frank Sinatra fan so my opinion is subjective.

>

> Robin and the Seven Hoods showed the talent of the big three, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis, Jr.

>

I think I may have mentioned this earlier, but Peter Lawford was originally supposed to be in Robin and the 7 Hoods - his part went to Bing Crosby instead, after Lawford had a falling out with Sinatra.

I believe Lawford's falling out with Sinatra resulted from JFK's staying at Crosby's place during a California visit rather than Sinatra's. Sinatra blamed Lawford for this. Ironic that the very same Crosby replaced Lawford in the film.