Sign in to follow this  
CineMaven

The Underrated...

20 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Helen Twelvetrees just doesn't get the credit she's due.

True. She is better than a dozen other actresses.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Helen Twelvetrees just doesn't get the credit she's due.

>

Is she 12 times better than Dorothy Tree?

Dorothy Tree actually is fine in the just-shown CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY and everything else I've seen her in. Another title that comes to mind immediately is HERE COMES THE NAVY (1934) in which she's a blonde.

I just watched my first Helen Twelvetrees film last week - Millie. I thought she was surprisingly good and couldn't figure out why I hadn't heard so much more about her than I have. I'd like to see some more movies with her in them.

Sally Eilers was a pretty darn good actress and so was Ann Dvorak ... Neither get enough credit ...

I saw Helen Twelvetrees in "The Young Bride" ... Some of that movie is so, so naughty. This is the one where Arline Judge wiggles her backside and says "Boop-boop-be-doop" ...

Just saw the great Dvorak in "Heat Lightning" the other morning. She doesn't have much to do, but when she has her meltdown in this movie....aaaaaah Dvorak's tops!! A more current discus-

sion on this film appears elsewhere on this Message Board.

I'd like to see more of LaPlante, too; I'm mostly familiar with her silent films (CAT AND THE CANARY and THE LAST WARNING, natch). But she didn't stick around at Universal for very long after the coming of sound. Right after KING OF JAZZ she went to Warner Bros (I think) & then made a few films for them in England before retiring (TCM has shown at least one: THE CHURCH MOUSE), though she did do a few more film & TV appearances after a 10 year hiatus.

"Corsair" and "Alibi" can still be had if you look around. I think kino released them in the past. These are two of the rarities Roland West made. Ya know, Roland West. The guy who punched Thelma Todd in the mouth, knocking her out, and then started her car while it sat in her garage and then locked her in for good measure ... Yea that guy ...

i'll second the comment that Ann Dvorak doesn't get much love these days. A very good actress. I*f Love Is a Racket* runs again, be sure to check it out, it's a very good movie.

• Like 1

i'll second the comment that Ann Dvorak doesn't get much love these days. A very good actress. I*f Love Is a Racket* runs again, be sure to check it out, it's a very good movie.

In the Warner Brothers Pre-Code special TCM showed last Friday,   Ann was mentioned.   It was interesting that they said her career was never the same after the pre-code era.     Ann really was able to push and convey a lot of emotions especially as it related to certain topics and with production code restrictions watering down those topics,  it put too much of a damper on her unique talents.

At least we can view her in these pre-codes!  

• Like 1

this is quite sad, if true.     smh.gif

i just looked up west's name in my library's dvd catalogue,

there's another movie (horror) that he directed called 'the bat whispers' (1930).

it stars chester morris and una merkel.   i'm gonna reserve it.

Ya know, Roland West. The guy who punched Thelma Todd in the mouth, knocking her out, and then started her car while it sat in her garage and then locked her in for good measure ... Yea that guy ...

• Like 1

Hi!  I love Pre-Code films too.  A lot of our famous actresses of the Golden Age (Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Myrna Loy, Sylvia Sidney, etc.) were just wonderful in them!  Under-rated actresses Sally Eilers, Arline Judge, Aline McMahon, Ann Dvorak, Madge Evans, Marion Nixon, etc. are not heard of much.    I am glad that we are finally seeing the films of the very talented Marion Davies!

It is wonderful to converse with other discerning classic film fans!  Most of my friends are not aware of these great films and look blank when I mention the ones I like best. 

But I have the same problem about classic rock music though before my time.  I have recently discovered another world before the 60's!  There were many fine rock groups that seem to have faded from the the public view.  Fortunately I have found them on-line!)  I am starting to know the names of many, as I am now more familiar with our wonderful actors and actresses of the Golden Age. 

Just saw the comments about one of my favorite Pre-Code actresses, the beautiful and talented Helen Twelvetrees.  I have many of her films but am hoping too that we will get a copy of The Cat Creeps!  I think I read somewhere that it is a remake of Cat and the Canary '27.  Speaking of Laura LaPlante, I too enjoyed her performance in The Cat and the Canary.  I have several of her films.

Florence Bates, a very talented actress of the 40's and 50's  is highly underrated.  She was an excellent Mrs. Van Hopper in Rebecca '40.  Whether a forbidding wealthy snob or a gentle person (The Second Woman) she turned in a fine performance.  She was great in Saratoga Trunk as well.

I love to collect 30's and 40's films, which are my favorite film decades, though I wasn't born yet.  Also, I enjoy many 50's and 60's situation comedies which are also underrated.  My sister and I loved The Honeymooners,  Our Miss Brooks, Topper, The Life of Riley, My Little Margie, etc.  Though we enjoyed I Love Lucy we also watched many of these other programs growing up in the 50's and 60's.  Some of these programs are released on DVD, but I am still waiting for others; The Life of Riley,  Our Miss Brooks, Mr. and Mrs. North, etc.