Sign in to follow this  
CineMaven

Good Neighbor Sam

8 posts in this topic

B'cuz of this film, I've loved eating macaroni which is the first time the use of food in a film influenced me in real life. Jack Lemmon...boy he could do it all: comedy, drama, and eat.

It seems like there was a very small window when Romy was working in films in this country, so Jack was indeed lucky to snag her. She was always one of my favorite "exotic" imports. She died in her forties, as I recall, which is tragic. Back to the movie...Yes, it's fun. I think this one got it right where "Under The Yum Yum Tree" got it wrong.

"Good neighbor Sam" is great fun. Jack Lemmon is as terrific as always. And Dorothy Provine is perfect as the wife. So beautiful and talented, but after a few Disney comedies, she sort of disappeared. I don't understand why. Anyone have information on her?

Terrence.

I thought it to be a marvelous comedy. The cast is sensational as is the script.

At first I was confused and felt you were talking about the Cooper \ Sheridan movie Good Sam.   That movie had a fine cast also but it wasn't very good.    The two stars never really clicked in that one.  I haven't seen this Lemmon movies so I hope TCM shows it soon.

At first I was confused and felt you were talking about the Cooper \ Sheridan movie Good Sam.   That movie had a fine cast also but it wasn't very good.    The two stars never really clicked in that one.  I haven't seen this Lemmon movies so I hope TCM shows it soon.

Hi james,

It still hasn't aired since you posted your comment a year ago. But when it does turn up on TCM again, I think you'll enjoy it. It's overlong in parts, but a lot of the comedy works thanks to Lemmon's efforts.