Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Your favorite movie scenes?

17 posts in this topic

What are your favorite movie scenes?

Mine would probably make for a pretty long list. I think the first one that comes to mind is the airport scene at the end of Casablanca, that pretty speech Rick gives Ilsa, and that astonished but loving look in Ilsa's face. Plus, Rick giving Strasser what he deserved all along. And Renault quickly instructing his officers to "round up the usual suspects". Priceless. :)

The one that pops to my mind and gives me a tickle is from Born Yesterday, the scene in which Broderick Crawford and Judy Holliday (brilliantly getting under his skin) are playing gin rummy.

William Powell (Godfrey) sitting Carole Lombard (Irene) into the shower and turning it on. Then Irene joyfully jumps out, "Godfrey loves me, .... ". from My Man Godfrey.

When Margaret Hamilton gives Bonita Granville well-earned a slap in the face in "These Three," then drags her by the arm upstairs.

When Lionel Barrymore gives Freddie Bartholemew a well-earned slap in the face in "Captains Courageous." I love it when Harvey says, while still stinging from the slap, "You hit me!"

Brats getting their comeuppances...

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

> Moses parting the Red Sea...AWESOME!!!

There's a scene you just don't forget, especially if you've seen it in a cinema.

Poinciana, mrrroberts, desertviewer - those are all great scenes, too! :D

The scene in Woman of the Year with Hepburn perched on the edge of her desk, pulling up her stocking and all that leg is exposed and Tracy comes in. The look on his face is hilarious.

The "party" scene in the Pullman compartment in Some Like It Hot with all those girls crowding in the bunk with Jack Lemmon.

Hattie McDaniels climbing the stairs with Melanie near the end of GWTW, explaining how Mister Rhett won't let them bury Bonnie--always makes me tear up.

Bette Davis hooking the skirts of her riding habit up over her crop before striding into her party in Jezebel.

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." then the cut to Davis sitting at the piano, maudlin and drunk, forcing the pianist to play "Liebestram" (sp) over and over again in All About Eve

A Foreign Affair the scene in which Deitrich's character gets Jean Arthur's prim and proper Congresswoman drunk and arrested, before telling her that they both want the same man

James Stewarts' drunk scene from The Philadelphia Story

Cary Grant following Hepburn out of the restaurant, the two of them pressed together and walking in step to hide her ripped dress, Grant in Hepburn's negligee and Hepburn doing her gangster's moll impressionation in Bringing Up Baby

A few:

Cary Grant pushing Kate Hepburn to the ground in the first few minutes of *The Philadelphia Story* is a hoot!

When Cary Grant and Sophia Loren are dancing at that outdoor/garden party in *Houseboa*t - that scene does something to me...so much chemistry between the two of them, Grant looked like he was ready to rip her clothes off. WOWSER!

Cagney performing the title song in *Yankee Doodle Dandy* - that was some serious hoofin'!

Creepy Mitchum in *Cape Fear* pointing out the "jiggle" on a woman to Gregory Peck - that scene was supposed to be super perverse for the time, but it cracks me up every time

A scene???????? I can't possibly, there are too many for this old brain to remember. Perhaps every scene in The Wizard Of Oz and Casablanca, the two most perfect movies ever made.

Born Yesterday, the scene in which Broderick Crawford and Judy Holliday (brilliantly getting under his skin) are playing gin rummy.

is a brilliant one. Her musical riff is priceless.

I guess Jean Harlow's brief conversation with Marie Dressler in Dinner At Eight comes to mind -- Marie's double take and her comment to the point that what Jean has will NEVER be taken over by machinery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zQe-lVm7L4

Maybe if given time I can think of another scene, but Barbara Stanwyck & Henry Fonda getting " close " aboard the Ocean Liner in The Lady Eve.

Edited by: arlenemccarthy on Mar 29, 2010 6:01 PM

Henry Fonda throwing the Captain's "stinkin palm tree" overboard in Mister Roberts. And Jack Lemmon coming back to see Fonda and William Powell after the laundry room explosion. All covered in soap suds.

Henry Fonda throwing the Captain's "stinkin palm tree" overboard in Mister Roberts. And Jack Lemmon coming back to see Fonda and William Powell after the laundry room explosion. All covered in soap suds.

After browbeating Mary Pilant on the witness stand the Assistant Attorney General from Lansing, Claude Dancer gets his when he squeezes out of Mary that the man he's accusing her of being the mistress of was, in fact, her father Barney Quill.

Anatomy of a Murder

Last post a good one. Anatomy Of A Murder is a favorite of mine. On another thread a long time ago I mentioned Ethel Merman slipping on a banana peel at the end of Its A Mad Mad Mad World.

Call me Mr. Sentimental, but when Hannibal Lecter is listening in rapture to the Goldberg Variations, and the guards bring in his meal, and then -- well, it just gets me misty-eyed.

I guess he didn't like the way they prepared his lamb chops.