Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

"Kiss Me Deadly" (1955)

12 posts in this topic

I couldn't find any threads for this noir within the last year, so here we go - it's on TCM this Saturday, March 20th at 8:30am ET

*Kiss Me Deadly* (1955)

Detective Mike Hammer fights to solve the murder of a beautiful hitchhiker with a mysterious connection to the Mob.

Cast: Ralph Meeker, Albert Dekker, Paul Stewart, Juano Hernandez Dir: Robert Aldrich BW-106 mins, TV-PG

KissMeDeadly.jpg

*Kiss Me Deadly* is great, sort of a neo-noir, while noir was still being made. I can't recall which filmmaker, but a French new wave director credited it with being the inspiration for French New Wave films... or, at least they were greatly influenced by it. It had lots of good actors, I'm a Ralph Meeker fan, and Paul Stewart, Jack Elam, ...

Possibly... If I were to guess, it would be Godard, or perhaps Truffaut.

But, I did a bit of poking around, and discovered it was then-film critic Truffaut, in the French film magazine Cahiers du Cinema.

The high level of violence and the amorality of the hero in KISS ME DEADLY also make a direct line to POINT BLANK, just as Aldrich's western VERA CRUZ takes us directly to Sergio Leone. KISS ME DEADLY is really well directed, although the script has holes you could drive a truck through. Perhaps with a star more charismatic than Ralph Meeker, it might have made a bigger impact in its day.

gee ralph meeker was good in this film as well in the st valentine's day massacre

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote} Perhaps with a star more charismatic than Ralph Meeker, it might have made a bigger impact in its day.

I like Ralph a lot, and he's great in this film. He has just the right attitude.