hlywdkjk

The Old PostER Road To Hollywood

119 posts in this topic

h3. The Old Post(er) Road To Hollywood

*A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival*

_Because Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Big Images_

Copy of SomeLikeItHot1959LRG_40x60

Rare 40"x60" One Sheet Poster

(Click Through On All Images To Access Large Versions)

To be screened with an introduction by Classic Film Festival Special Guest Tony Curtis

Sheesh! How'd this thread get buried that fast? Strange that Monroe gets top billing. A gorgeous poster, Kyle, and another great theme idea. Can't wait to see more.

*"Sheesh! How'd this thread get buried that fast?"* - patful

Just happens, I guess.

I was sitting on the fence on whether I should incorporate this series into the other thread so it would be better seen but thought this celebration deserved a thread all its own. I am sure it will grow in popularity over time.

*"Strange that Monroe gets top billing."*

I bet it was to shift the emphisis off the cross-dressing of the other two leads. "A Curtis/Lemmon cross-dressing movie co-starring Monroe" doesn't sound as much fun as a "Marilyn Monroe movie with a cross-dressing Lemmon/Curtis." But maybe that is just me.

*"A gorgeous poster, Kyle, and another great theme idea. Can't wait to see more."*

Thank you. I almost opted for the film's equally rare "six-sheet" poster but thought this image was more "fun".

I'm glad you like the theme. I wanted to highlight the screenings at the Classic Film Festival without overwhelming the other thread. And this way, attendees have access to some visual aids to add to their scrapbooks - digital or otherwise.

This thread will last until the start of the Classic Film Festival on April 22nd. Or maybe a little beyond. It all depends on whether there are even more surpises to be announced to the Film Festival line-up. But there is definitely more coming.

I only wish I could locate large image files for certain rare titles. I have a *The Story Of Temple Drake* but it is slightly smaller than the standard size for the other thread. (Same for *Sunnyside Up* and *No Orchids For Mrs. Blandish*.) Maybe I'll add them at the end.

Kyle In Hollywood

Chief,

A wonderful idea and the kick-off poster is an absolute delight. Now I have two reasons each day to visit this forum!

h4. A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival

*Because Great Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Great Big Images*

MidnightCowboyLRG_GER

*Midnight Cowboy* (1969) Germany

A _"Vanity Fair's Tales Of Hollywood"_ screening featuring a discussion with Classic Film Festival Special Guest Jon Voight

ImitationOfLife_LRG

*Imitation Of Life* to be screened with appearances by Classic Film Festival special guests Susan Kohner and Juanita Moore.

When I saw *Imitation of Life* listed on the festival's program, I assumed it was the Colbert/Beavers version. Do I sound disappointed? :-) Still a nice poster.

AllAboutEveLRG_3sht

3-Sheet Poster

*All About Eve* Screens tomorrow evening in New York City at the historic Ziegfeld Theater as part of TCM's _"The Road To Hollywood"_ Classic Film Festival roadshow with appearances by Robert Osborne and Elaine Stritch.

I am enjoying seeing these posters on all the forum threads. I can remember when they were in front of or along side of the box office at all the theaters. They seemed to be big deals then. I know they still have them but somehow it just doesn't seem the same now. Thanks, folks!

Nothing beats looking at old movie posters and/or lobby cards in a movie theater _today_, if you happen to have a good repertory theater in your town that occasionally plays classic movies on the big screen. ;)

Copy of GoodEarthThe_Belg

*The Good Earth* (1937) Belgium

*The Good Earth* screens with a live introduction by "Best Actress" winner and Classic Film Festival special guest Luise Rainer.

InALonelyPlace1950_30x40SilkScreen

Rare 30x40 Silkscreen Poster

*In A Lonely Place* screens as part of the Classic Film Festival's _"Hollywood On Hollywood"_ series of films.

Cleopatra1963LRG_FREN

*Cleopatra* (1963) France ("Double Grande" Poster)

A _Vanity Fair's "Tales Of Hollywood"_ screening featuring a live discussion with Classic Film Festival special guests Martin Landau and Tom Mankiewicz.

Have you ever seen the original version of this poster? It was originally just Taylor and Burton, to capitalize on all the scandal going on at the time. Rex got miffed, and who can blame him, so it was revised to include him. He does look sort of like an afterthought, placed off to the side.

*"Have you ever seen the original version of this poster? It was originally just Taylor and Burton, to capitalize on all the scandal going on at the time."* - DougieB

I hadn't really paid attention - so I went searching. I did find the image below that is Harrison-free - and with no trace of his ever having been in the main artwork.

4462629360_873e91cc3d.jpg

I don't know what type of poster this version might be. From the "dimensions", it could be a 24-Sheet poster or it could simply be a display card for counter tops. But it is in this image that Harrison REALLY seems to be an afterthought sticking him, as it does, in a box in the upper corner.

Kyle In Hollywood

Beautiful posters and a great idea for a special thread, Kyle. Thanks!

P.S. I hope you do include those smaller images as well.

Kyle, I just saw this second poster this evening. In this one, try following Burton's eyeballs! It's even clearer in the largest version of the first one you posted, with Rex eyeing Burton and Burton eyeing Liz. I'm getting excited about the Festival and I'm not even going!

> 4462629360_873e91cc3d.jpg

One thing's for sure, Burton's preoccupied and it's not by Rex Harrison or even Liz but more by her, shall we say, assets.

To quote "Dragline {George Kennedy } in "Cool Hand Luke"...."Please Lord don't strike me blind now"

Copy of Safety-Last_2d88e046

*Safety Last* to be screened with a live introduction by Classic Film Festival special guest Suzanne Lloyd Hayes, Harold Lloyd's grandaughter.