hlywdkjk

The Old PostER Road To Hollywood

119 posts in this topic

*"Oh, Kyle - the Lloyd one is breathtaking! Just gorgeous."*

Glad you like it. I tried to "tweak" the color and contrast to improve it - but the original image was just too muddled and poorly scanned to bring out all the details I was hoping were there.

And I will make a point of adding the "small" poster images to the thread at some point. If I forget, please remind me.

Kyle In Hollywood

h3. The Old Post(er) Road To Hollywood

h4. A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival

*Because Great Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Great Big Images*

(Click Through On All Images To Access Large Versions)

BigTrailThe__24sht

24 Sheet Poster

An 80th Anniversary screening of *The Big Trail* restored by The Museum of Modern Art with support by The Film Foundation and Bartos Film Preservation Fund.

Very pretty poster. Where would a collector display a 24-sheet, an indoor billboard? :-)

*"Very pretty poster. Where would a collector display a 24-sheet, an indoor billboard?"* - patful

I think it is pretty nice too.

I'd need a private billboard to display one as I don't think I have a wall that measures 20 feet in uninterrupted length.

Is this the first time I've posted a "24 Sheet" poster image? Could be, I guess. I've come across just a few in this "size". As you might expect, few posters for use on a billboard survived. And it seems only a few posters of *The Big Trail* have survived. (Or they are just not archived online.)

Funny thing though. Many (most?) studio releases had a 24 Sheet poster available for exhibitor's purchase. I've seen "pressbook" ads promoting all avalable poster sizes and nearly every one has a 24 sheet for sale - like this page in the *Stagecoach* pressbook.

ChristmasStocking97

(Would love to get a good look at THAT 24 sheet.)

or these three different posters for *Wings*

PosterAdWings1927

Yep. The "billboard" poster cost a whopping $2.40.

A "24 Sheet" measures 104" X 232". (Approx. 8 Feet by 20 feet?) I guess that was standard dimensions for billboards "back in the day." But they may have been used on windowless exterior walls also. Like in this visual representation...

jazz_singer_1927

I do have some more 24 sheets to share. Maybe I'll do a special series of them one of these days. Oh. I _will_ be posting one more in this thread over the next few weeks. It was "just added" to this set as there are some new additions to the Film Festival line-up just announced this week.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks for the info, Kyle. I'm pretty ignorant on the topic. I sure didn't know the theaters had to rent or buy the posters. I thought the studios sent them out for free. I wonder if any theaters ever returned them? I figured the theaters gave (or threw) them away when the movie's run ended.

*Is this the first time I've posted a "24 Sheet" poster image?*

I remember some British 12-sheets, but not a 24-sheet. A gallery of the big ones would likely be incredible. Thanks.

WoW Chief!

Those posters are incredible. I love how beautiful *The Big Trail* is and how art deco is used to hype *Stagecoach*.

Throwing in *Wings* as a bonus and you made my day!

*"Thanks for the info, Kyle. I'm pretty ignorant on the topic."* - patful

Turns out, I was pretty ignorant too. The image for *The Big Trail* wasn't labelled as being a 24 sheet - I just made that assumption. It is the most "common" for posters of that size or dimension. But I think I was wrong.

I looked at the height vs width ratio of the image for *The Big Trail* and the ratio for the 24 sheets of *Wings* and knew something wasn't right. *The Big Trail* was much "narrower" or wide in length than the *Wings* images in the pressbook advertisement. So it had to be something other than a 24 sheet. So...

Even more unique than 24 sheet billboard posters are printed muslin banners meant to hang under marquees or other areas of heavy foot traffic. They measure 24" X 81" and have been produced from the '20s until the '80s (mostly). They had grommets in the corners and along the top and bottom - which also explains the "dark circles" in the upper border of *The Big Trail* image.

For an definitive banner image to compare in size to the image for *The Big Trail* - and which also sticks to the topic of "The Old Post (er) Road to Hollywood", here's a banner for *Some Like It Hot*.

SomeLikeItHot_Banner

(Click Through On Image To Access Larger Versions)

Glad I got that straightened out. Sorry for the confusion, everyone.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh, that Big Trail poster is sublime!

I love the beauty and style of the earlier posters, the ones from the 20's and early 30's. The colors are so vivid on some of them, and the detail is striking.

*Sorry for the confusion, everyone.* - Kyle

I thrive on confusion. :-) Thanks for the correction, though. Still a lovely image, whether seven feet or twenty.

I didn't even know I was confused, Kyle. But thanks for putting in the work to figure it out - that stuff is really interesting.

Copy of LeaveHerToHeaven1945LRG_02

A screening of *Leave Her To Heaven*, a Film Foundation Restoration, with a live introduction by Classic Film Festival special guest Darryl Hickman.

Wow, these are all just amazing artwork, Kyle... I noticed a lot of beautiful drawings and paintings in the Once in a while thread lately too.

*"Wow, these are all just amazing artwork, Kyle... I noticed a lot of beautiful drawings and paintings in the "Once in a While" thread lately too."* - JackFavell

Even without Victor Mature?

One of these days I am going to post a series of posters not related to the TCM schedule made up only of awesome artwork. I've already a nice cache of images set aside for that endeavor.

But it would have to come after the other series saluting "The Italians", "Silent Faces" and special set of Silk Screen posters from Fox.

Oh...And I just promised a 24-Sheet series to 'patful'. It may be a while.

Kyle In Hollywood

I wonder what happened to 'mvblair' for whom who I posted all those really nice window cards? I hope he found something he liked.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Mar 28, 2010 10:49 AM

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> *"Wow, these are all just amazing artwork, Kyle... I noticed a lot of beautiful drawings and paintings in the "Once in a While" thread lately too."* - JackFavell

>

> Even without Victor Mature?

Even without Vic's lovely eyebrow. :)

I hope you will eventually get to include The Most Dangerous Game poster that was so beautiful - I think it was in your file somewhere when I clicked for a larger image... it's a poster I just love. All greens and oranges. Of course that would be after all the other specials you have to do on your list..... I'll be around, unless I get reported too many times. :D

*And I just promised a 24-Sheet series to 'patful'.* - Kyle

No, sir, I believe you said "maybe", so I won't hold you to it. Take your time. You deserve a break. :-)

*"No, sir, I believe you said "maybe", so I won't hold you to it. Take your time. You deserve a break."* - patful

I've been thinking about a "Super-Size Format" series for awhile. British Quads. 40 X 60s. 6-Sheets. 24-Sheets. Banners. Anything that isn't the usual one-sheet.

But it would be my pleasure. And I don't need a break. I've got thousands of poster images to post. Being able to get a few more off the hard drive would be a blessing.

If it keeps me from joining in on the goings on in other Forums, that's probably a good thing.

Kyle ("Among the other teams, it's pretty anonymous.") In Hollywood

NorthByNorthwest1959_BELG

*North By Northwest* (1959) Belguim

Screening tomorrow evening in Chicago at the landmark Music Box Theater with appearances by Robert Osborne and Eva Marie Saint as part of TCM's _"The Road To Hollywood"_ Classic Film Festival roadshow.

Also screening in Hollywood with a discussion by Eva Marie Saint and Martin Landau.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> h3. The Old Post(er) Road To Hollywood

>

> h4. A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival

> *Because Great Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Great Big Images*

> (Click Through On All Images To Access Large Versions)

>

> Copy of LeaveHerToHeaven1945LRG_02

>

> A screening of *Leave Her To Heaven*, a Film Foundation Restoration, with a live introduction by Classic Film Festival special guest Darryl Hickman.

Nice poster!

Gene Tierney played such a stinker in this one!

CarmenJones1954_LRG

*Carmen Jones* screens with an introduction by Classic Film Festival special guest Donald Bogle, author of Dorothy Dandridge, A Biography.

Copy of Breathless_FREN

*Breathless* (1959) France

TCM presents a 50th Anniversary Screening of the recently restored New Wave Classic with an introduction by Classic Film Festival special guest Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Brushing up on my French, "A Bout de Souffle" translates to "Breathless" and souffle translates to blow. Odd name for a food.

Nice image of Seberg, except they cut off the top and bottom of her head! Thanks, Kyle.