hlywdkjk

The Old PostER Road To Hollywood

119 posts in this topic

h3. The Old Post(er) Road To Hollywood

h4. A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival

*Because Great Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Great Big Images*

(Click Through On All Images To Access Large Versions)

WomansFaceA_LRG

*A Woman's Face* screens with an introduction by Classic Film Festival special guests _Casey LaLonde_, Joan Crawford's grandson, and _Illeana Douglas_, Melvyn Douglas' granddaughter.

Apologies to all visitors to this thread. I forgot to change the 'flickr' settings on the poster for *The Good, The Bad and The Ugly* before posting on Monday. This didn't allow one to access the larger versions. That problem has been rectified. Click away and view the poster in all it beautiful bigness.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Apr 13, 2010 6:30 AM

Wow, that poster for A Woman's Face is really cool, somehow bridging thirties sophistication with a little forties noir. And boy, would I like to be at that screening to hear what the grandkids have to say!

KingKongLRG

*King Kong*, stunning in a restoration completed just this month, "returns" to Grauman's Chinese Theater, the same theater that hosted its West Coast Premiere in 1933.

And a repost of materials from the program for the West Coast Premiere of *King Kong* that happened at the Chinese Theater, March 24th, 1933.

ChristmasStocking91

ChristmasStocking93

ChristmasStocking92

ChristmasStocking90

As the Classic Film Festival is one week away, I better step it up.

It's Double Time!

=================

SunnySideUp1929_SWED_LRG

Sweden

The TCM Classic Film Festival presentes the World Premiere of the Museum Of Modern Art restoration, with support from the Film Foundation and the Franco American Fund, of the pre-code musical *Sunny Side Up*.

TopHat1935_SPAN01

*Top Hat* (1935) Spain

*Top Hat* is presented as part of the "Essentials" series of film screenings.

Love the *Top Hat* poster, and *King Kong* is superb. You can't go wrong with legs and airplanes in the same poster. But I must say I find those disembodied heads in *Sunny Side Up* frightening. :-)

*"...King Kong is superb."* - patful

Thank you. I am glad to hear someone likes it. I thought it was one of the best *King Kong* posters I've ever seen online. (At least one that was available in a large format.)

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> h3. The Old Post(er) Road To Hollywood

> h4. A Celebration for the First-ever TCM Classic Film Festival

> *Because Great Classics on the Big Screen Deserve Great Big Images*

> (Click Through On All Images To Access Large Versions)

>

> _*Fragments (1916-1929)*_

>

> Three-Weekends_3sht

> (1928)

>

> Copy of HappinessAhead1928

> (1928)

>

> PatriotThe1928_2sht

> (1928)

>

> The Motion Picture Academy Of Arts And Sciences Archive and the UCLA Film Archives present fragments and trailers from a selection of "lost" films. Hosted by members of the AMPAS Film Archive.

Wow! Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't know that any of Clara Bow's *THREE WEEKENDS* or Colleen Moore's *HAPPINESS AHEAD* had survived. Not to mention THE PATRIOT. Are these the lone fragments, or are there more than what is being screened? Are they running the Technicolor clips from another Clara Bow feature *RED HAIR?* I think that's all that there is of this film that's ever been found.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Wow! Thanks so much for posting this. I didn't know that any of Clara Bow's *THREE WEEKENDS* or Colleen Moore's *HAPPINESS AHEAD* had survived. Not to mention THE PATRIOT. Are these the lone fragments, or are there more than what is being screened? Are they running the Technicolor clips from another Clara Bow feature *RED HAIR?* I think that's all that there is of this film that's ever been found.

>

I believe for "The Patriot" all that survives is the trailer (I've seen it). That probably is what they'll be showing.

But I WOULD be very interested to know what survives from "Happiness Ahead" and "Three Weekends".

Yeah, I've see the Trailer for *THE PATRIOT* too. This at least gives me a little bit of hope that they might be getting to one of those Colleen Moore films that have been sitting around, and sitting around for years.

Incidentally, I have confirmed information that a complete 35 Millimeter brint of *ORCHIDS AND ERMINE* resides at the British Film Institute. Technically though the film is not really public domain I don't believe. This despite several versions probably all dupes from the Kodascope that are floating around. Here are some notes from David Pierce, and an important link.

*"ELLA CINDERS and ORCHIDS AND ERMINE* were released in 16mm by the Kodascope Libraries, expertly condensed to 5 reels each. Both very high qulaity transfers.

Unlike *ELLA* though, *ORCHIDS AND ERMINE* also survives in the full-length 35mm release version, preserved long ago by the BFI National Film and Television Archive, and shown in Pordenone in 2002 as part of their FUNNY LADIES series."

http://www.cinetecadelfriuli.org/gcm/ed_precedenti/edizione2002/Funny_Ladies2.html

David Pierce

As the Classic Film Festival is less than one week away, I better step it up.

Now it's Double Time!

=================

SinginInTheRainLRG_6sht

Reprise Posting Image / 6 Sheet Poster

Classic Film Festival Special Guest _Stanley Donen_ introduces *Singin' In The Rain* as part of the _Hollywood On Hollywood_ series of film screenings.

=================

DamnYankees1958_3shtLRG

3 Sheet Poster

Classic Film Festival Special Guest _Tab Hunter_ introduces *Damn Yankees* as part of the "Essentials" series of film screenings.

*"Are these the lone fragments, or are there more than what is being screened? Are they running the Technicolor clips from another Clara Bow feature RED HAIR? I think that's all that there is of this film that's ever been found."* - gagman66

This is all I know-

From the Classic Film Festival website -

http://www.tcm.com/festival/#/films/fragments

_Fragments (1916-1929)_

Running Time: 1 hr., 30 min.

35mm

Academy Film Archive and the UCLA Film Archive

Sunday, April 25 ? 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM

Mann's Chinese 6 House 3

Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Archive will present a selection of rarely-screened fragments of great lost films. *Red Hair* and *Three Weekends* (both 1928) showcase the comic talents of actress Clara Bow. *The Village* (1922) is an early film by director John Ford. Also included are four additional fragments from the Academy archives: *Happiness Ahead* (1928), a Colleen Moore film; *Polly of the Follies* (1922) starring Constance Talmadge; *A Lover?s Oath* (1925) showcasing actor Ramon Navarro; *The Chance Market* (1916), with prolific actor King Baggot. The event concludes with a selection of trailers for lost films, provided by UCLA and Academy Film Archive, which includes *On Trial* (1928), *The Last Warning* (1929) and *The Patriot* (1928)?the only Oscar?-nominated performance that is lost. (d. Various, approx. 90m, 35mm). Hosted by members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Archive.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Apr 16, 2010 7:09 AM

Wow... this, to me, is the most interesting part of the entire festival. I'd dearly love to see that clip from The Village, as well as the others.

Edited by: JackFavell on Apr 16, 2010 10:54 AM

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

>

> _Fragments (1916-1929)_

> Running Time: 1 hr., 30 min.

> 35mm

> Academy Film Archive and the UCLA Film Archive

>

> Sunday, April 25 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM

> Mann's Chinese 6 House 3

>

> Members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Archive will present a selection of rarely-screened fragments of great lost films. *Red Hair* and *Three Weekends* (both 1928) showcase the comic talents of actress Clara Bow. *The Village* (1922) is an early film by director John Ford. Also included are four additional fragments from the Academy archives: *Happiness Ahead* (1928), a Colleen Moore film; *Polly of the Follies* (1922) starring Constance Talmadge; *A Lovers Oath* (1925) showcasing actor Ramon Navarro; *The Chance Market* (1916), with prolific actor King Baggot. The event concludes with a selection of trailers for lost films, provided by UCLA and Academy Film Archive, which includes *On Trial* (1928), *The Last Warning* (1929) and *The Patriot* (1928)the only Oscar?-nominated performance that is lost. (d. Various, approx. 90m, 35mm). Hosted by members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Archive.

>

Okay, now I REALLY wish I was going!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Wow... this, to me, is the most interesting part of the entire festival. I'd dearly love to see that clip from The Village, as well as the others.

>

> Edited by: JackFavell on Apr 16, 2010 10:54 AM

AMC ran the fragment of THE VILLAGE BLACKSMITH when they ran John Ford films during their Festival of Preservation about 8 or 9 years ago. What survives is the final reel of the film.

AMC also ran the existing fragment from Ford's MOTHER MACHREE (1928) as well.

Scottman,

Yes, but *THE LAST WARNING* is not a lost film. So that one has me a bit puzzled. It was in 1999 or 2000 that the old AMC ran the Ford Silents.

Did you see the link that confirmed *ORCHIDS IN ERMINE* survives in a complete 35 Millimeter print at the BFI? Besides *HAPPINESS AHEAD,* I wonder if there are any fragments of *"OH KAY!"* at all?

Also wanted to mention that Robert Israel and his Orchestra are scoring Harold Lloyd's *AN EASTERN WESTERNER* and *SAFETY LAST* live! I haven't heard Robert's score to *SAFETY LAST,* as Carl Davis Thames Silents score carried over to the New-Line/Warner Home Video DVD edition of the 2002 authorized Lloyd Trust version. Robert has played to the film several times in the past, but I don't think a recorded score has emerged.

Hey Jeffrey,

That's good news about ORCHIDS AND ERMINE. FYI, The silent film that the LA Chamber Orchestra will be accompanying this year at UCLA is THE CAMERAMAN (1928). Timothy Brock composed a new score for it and the orchestra will play it on May 23rd.

Scottman,

*HER WILD OAT* is screening at Catalina Island Next month too! I will try to get more details and post them here. This from the guy at the Colleen Moore project.

Wow, I love all five of those! Even Colleen Moore's head is captivating. As for *SITR* , I don't think I've ever seen so much going on in one poster. Thanks, Kyle.

As the Classic Film Festival is less than one week away, I better step it up.

Now it's Double Time!

=====================

Copy of TreasureOfSierraMadreB_ITAL

*Treasure Of The Sierra Madre* (1948) Italy

Reprise Posting Image

The TCM Classic Film Festival presents _The Hustons: "A Hollywood Dynasty"_, with Special Guests _Angelica Huston_ and _Danny Huston_ presenting three of the family's films beginning with *Treasure Of The Sierra Madre*.

======================

Dirigible1931

Reprise Posting

Frank Capra's *Dirigible* is presented with an introduction by Classic Film Festival special guests _Tom Capra_, Frank Capra's son, and _Frank Capra III_, Frank Capra's grandson, as part of the Classic Film Festival "Discoveries" series of film screenings.

Chief,

This is the first opportunity I have had this week to really look at this thread. The *Kong* poster and bonus ephemera is boffo! I also really like the *Sierra Madre* poster though the yellow background which I'm guessing is supposed to represent the "treasure" seems a tad over the top, especially with the faces in it.

The *Dirgible* poster makes me glad I tivo'd this one when it was on TCM so as not to miss it!

Thank you again for all your hard work on this gallery and the regular *Censored* gallery.

BadAndTheBeautiful_LRG

Reprise Image Posting

*The Bad And The Beautiful* screens with an introduction by _Cheryl Crane_, Lana Turner's daughter, as part of the Classic Film Festival's _"Hollywood On Hollywood"_ series of films.

=======================

Copy of SunsetBlvd_LRG

*Sunset Boulevard* screens with a special introduction by _Nancy Olson_ as part of the Classic Film Festival's _"Hollywood On Hollywood"_ series of films.

Chief,

I LOVE the *Sunset Blvd* poster. It captures the mood of the movie exactly!