MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

I had a thread going on this topic a while ago, but it's past its "expiraton date" for posting and I thought I'd bring up a new one, because, along with old movies, I love to watch vintage TV shows. Especially when they bring on a special guest who happens to be a classic movie star, which happened rather frequently.

So, what are your favorite shows, genres and particular episodes?

My Favorites:

1. *The Dick Van Dyke Show*

Favorite Episode: "Draw Me a Pear"

2. *Alfred Hitchcock Presents*

Favorite Episode: "The Hitchhiker"

3. *The Twilight Zone*

Favorite Episode: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet"

4. *The High Chaparral*

Favorite Episode: (still going through the series so I'm not sure yet! :D )

5. *That Girl*

Favorite Episode: "It's So Nice to Have a Mouse Around the House"

6. *The Rifleman*

Favorite Episode: "The Most Amazing Man" (Sammy Davis, Jr., guest star)

7. *Have Gun, Will Travel*

Favorite Episode: "Lady on the Stagecoach"

8. *Gunsmoke*

Favorite Episode: "The Badge" (Season 15)

9. *The Mary Tyler Moore Show*

Favorite Episode: "Love Is All Around"

10. *I Love Lucy*

Favorite Episode: "The Diet"

I'm sure that in the previous thread there was mention of "Our Miss Brooks" with Eve Arden. The humor was more droll than some of the other sitcoms of that era, and the action not as frantic. I haven't actually seen any episodes in many years, but I remember what a pleasure it was to watch the comic timing of this old pro. The supporting cast was so fun too.

Mention shoud be made of the whole genre of similar "private detective" shows which were the rage from about 1959-1962, namely, "77 Sunset Strip", "Hawaiian Eye", "Surfside 6", and "Bourbon Street Beat".

Yeah. And those shows were a breeding ground for a whole generation of teen idols that Warners went on to exploit in feature films.

Two I remember fondly come from "The Dick Van Dyke Show." They both involve babies. One is titled "That's My Boy." Rob is convinced they brought home the wrong baby from the hospital. The other, "Where Did I Come From?" is when Laura is going to give birth to Richie. Rob is nervous and priceless. (It looks like you can watch full episodes of the show on imdb.)

There is an episode from "Soap" (which I think is one of the funniest comedies) where Billy Crystal (Jodie) is taping a cereal commercial with people dressed up as fruit in the cereal. Nothing works and there is nearly a drowning. Milk is involved.

A "Law and Order" episode from the first year called "Sonata For Solo Organ." Someone makes an unauthorized kidney removal for a transplant.

Nowadays you don't get episode titles.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Mar 24, 2010 1:19 PM because I found the episode title.

Wow! I see you're a Texan through and through with those westerns on your list, MissG. You've given me some food for thought and I'll have to go into my memory banks (a little soggy right now after last nite's cocktails) to think about it. I might not know favorite episodes, but I'll hand over a list of programs I enjoyed. Some are similar to yours, but so as not to duplicate...

I was a real tv fanatic as a kid. In fact, other kids used to test me b'cuz I was a veritable walking tv guide:

"Hey T, what show comes on channel seven at nine o'clock on Thursday night?"

And I could name it. Anything. Anyday. Anytime.

Scary huh? The kids didn't think so.

In fact, my mother made one of the best edicts in all her years of parenting. My sister and I shared a room and as I've mentioned, I used to turn the tv volume down and the brightness off to simulate a turned off television. We used to fight like cats and dogs over what show to watch. So my mother stormed in our bedroom one day loaded for bear. She looked at us yelling:

HER: "I'm sick of this!! I'm going to take the tv outta here."

US: "Mommy!!!! Noooooo."

HER (looking at me): "What's your favorite show?"

ME: "The Big Valley."

HER: "What day does it come on?"

ME: "Monday nights."

HER: "Okay! You have the tv Monday, Wednesday and Friday." (Looking at my younger sister): "You have the tv, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. And on Sunday you can kill each other!"

And she stormed out of our bedroom, leaving my sister and I silently blinking at each other.

Another time I'll tell you folks how I had to bribe my sister by giving her one of my "tv days" in order for her not to rat me out to my parents when I did something wrong. So for me, the first tv show on my list would be:

1. "THE BIG VALLEY."

Loved Linda Evans, loved Peter Breck. Stanwyck? Interesting old lady. Who is she? She made movies? "Daddy, who is she?"

I think my mis-spent youth of tv shows and old movies paid off. I'm one of fifteen lucky people.

One of the most notorious and best episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents was,

if I recall the title correctly, Lamb to the Slaughter starring Barbara Bel Geddes

as the wife who kills her cheating husband with a frozen leg of lamb, which she then

serves to the police officers who come to investigate the death of hubby, thus getting

rid of the murder "weapon." Priceless. Chiller TV had AHP on a few years ago,

but they kept repeating the first three seasons, so they never got to that one. :(

> {quote:title=DougieB wrote:}{quote}

> I'm sure that in the previous thread there was mention of "Our Miss Brooks" with Eve Arden. The humor was more droll than some of the other sitcoms of that era, and the action not as frantic. I haven't actually seen any episodes in many years, but I remember what a pleasure it was to watch the comic timing of this old pro. The supporting cast was so fun too.

Hi Dougie,

I have never seen this show though I've heard so much about it, and now I can because some of the shows are on YouTube! I can easily see Eve being a great fit for television.

Here is an episode called "Home Cooked Meal"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfgceHQFWw

> {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> One of the most notorious and best episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents was, if I recall the title correctly, Lamb to the Slaughter starring Barbara Bel Geddes as the wife who kills her cheating husband with a frozen leg of lamb, which she then serves to the police officers who come to investigate the death of hubby, thus getting rid of the murder "weapon." Priceless. Chiller TV had AHP on a few years ago, but they kept repeating the first three seasons, so they never got to that one. :(

That sounds like a pretty good episode, I'd love to watch that one some day. :D

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> Two I remember fondly come from "The Dick Van Dyke Show." They both involve babies. One is titled "That's My Boy." Rob is convinced they brought home the wrong baby from the hospital. The other, "Where Did I Come From?" is when Laura is going to give birth to Richie. Rob is nervous and priceless. (It looks like you can watch full episodes of the show on imdb.)

>

I love those, too! When Rob drops the phone down his pants (Buddy's pants) I can't stop laughing!! Or the way he sleeps in his suit and keeps the hat on the shelf behind his bed so he can reach it quickly. So funny.

> There is an episode from "Soap" (which I think is one of the funniest comedies) where Billy Crystal (Jodie) is taping a cereal commercial with people dressed up as fruit in the cereal. Nothing works and there is nearly a drowning. Milk is involved.

>

I've never seen "Soap" but that one sounds hilarious.

> A "Law and Order" episode from the first year called "Sonata For Solo Organ." Someone makes an unauthorized kidney removal for a transplant.

>

I've never watched that one, either. What a scary idea about the transplant. I bet it happens more than we think.

> Nowadays you don't get episode titles.

>

> Edited by: movieman1957 on Mar 24, 2010 1:19 PM because I found the episode title.

:D

Hi, Big Valley Maven!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Wow! I see you're a Texan through and through with those westerns on your list, MissG. You've given me some food for thought and I'll have to go into my memory banks (a little soggy right now after last nite's cocktails) to think about it. I might not know favorite episodes, but I'll hand over a list of programs I enjoyed. Some are similar to yours, but so as not to duplicate...

>

I can't wait! Now I know you're the TV Addicts Whiz Kid, I'm sure it will be an enlightening list! I also hope to see people talk about their favorite genres and peformers, so it's not just a "list thread".

> I was a real tv fanatic as a kid. In fact, other kids used to test me b'cuz I was a veritable walking tv guide:

>

> "Hey T, what show comes on channel seven at nine o'clock on Thursday night?"

>

> And I could name it. Anything. Anyday. Anytime.

>

> Scary huh? The kids didn't think so.

>

That's terrific! It means you have a great memory, something I sadly lack. I had to look up _all_ the episode titles except "The Hitchhiker" (with our own Inger Stevens) and "Draw Me a Pear".

>

> HER: "Okay! You have the tv Monday, Wednesday and Friday." (Looking at my younger sister): "You have the tv, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. And on Sunday you can kill each other!"

>

Hahahahaaaaaa! That is a great story, worthy of Bill Cosby himself. My Mom did eventually relent enough to allow me to have a small, portable tv in my room when I was around 15 or 16. Of course, she wouldn't let me watch it after a certain hour so I would sneak it under my covers.

>

> Another time I'll tell you folks how I had to bribe my sister by giving her one of my "tv days" in order for her not to rat me out to my parents when I did something wrong. So for me, the first tv show on my list would be:

>

> 1. "THE BIG VALLEY."

> Loved Linda Evans, loved Peter Breck. Stanwyck? Interesting old lady. Who is she? She made movies? "Daddy, who is she?"

>

I never saw this show until about five years ago! And now I have "The Barbara Stanwyck Show" in my Classicflix "queue", as well. You liked Peter, I think Coopsgirl does, too. I like Richard Long.

> I think my mis-spent youth of tv shows and old movies paid off. I'm one of fifteen lucky people.

It surely did. :)

We were talking about Russell Johnson (The Professor, on "Gilligan's Island") on another thread and I just found this image of him in western gear:

russell_johnson01.JPG

In the accompanying excerpt found via the link below, it says he had his own western tv series at one time called "Black Saddle". I never knew this! Anyone ever see it? The article also mentions that Johnson grew up in an orphanage and dreamed of becoming an officer (he became a bombardier in WWII) and an actor. Who knew the prof had it in him. :D

http://www.wildestwesterns.com/russell_johnson.htm

Russell as The Prof:

russell_johnson.jpg

> {quote:title=HollywoodGolightly wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=sineaste wrote:}{quote}

> > One of the most notorious and best episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents was, if I recall the title correctly, Lamb to the Slaughter starring Barbara Bel Geddes as the wife who kills her cheating husband with a frozen leg of lamb, which she then serves to the police officers who come to investigate the death of hubby, thus getting rid of the murder "weapon." Priceless. Chiller TV had AHP on a few years ago, but they kept repeating the first three seasons, so they never got to that one. :(

>

> That sounds like a pretty good episode, I'd love to watch that one some day. :D

From your mouth to YouTube's ears. Just watched it on YT. What a cozy little suburban house

for such murderous doings. Tsk Tsk. This was also one of the few episodes Sir Alfred directed

himself. As usual, we learn in the epilogue that crime didn't pay. I wonder if Barb ever felt, if just

for a fleeting moment, like doing the same thing to Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo. ;) And this gives

the old slogan Meat is Murder a whole new meaning. The Hitchhiker, at least the one starring Inger Stevens, was a TZ episode.

I think my favorite of all the classic TV shows has to be...drum roll please...Green Acres. Let's face it, it's really wacky, and I can't get enough of Eva Gabor, and....I love it!

EvaGabor.jpg

DREAMY!

I feel so bad for Russell Johnson, being an orphan and all, I just want to cradle him in my arms....

I always liked the comedies.

I liked Petticoat Junction because of the dog.

I loved the DIck Van Dyke episode with Laura's toe stuck in the tub faucet and he tries to break the door down in his smoking jacket because they have tickets to Camelot. There is also one where he was trying to come up with a sketch for the show, and he finally thought of one where he was drumming a pen in his hand but it wasn't a pen it was a pen-knife instead, and he stepped in a wastebasket and on and on with the slapstick.....

I don't remember getting the TV too much as a kid, so Captain Kangaroo and Wonderful World of Disney were probably the only shows I could watch and have the TV to myself. God I loved Mr. Greenjeans. And Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit.

Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett were always the ones we watched. I remember a really funny episode of MTM where Mary had a bump in her hair and was sick. Her clothes didn't come back from the dry cleaners in time and she had an awards show to go to. Hilarious.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 24, 2010 5:32 PM

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> DREAMY!

>

> I feel so bad for Russell Johnson, being an orphan and all, I just want to cradle him in my arms....

>

It does endear me to him, too. I'll never look at the Professor the same. Say---did they ever reveal his character's name on the show or was he always just "The Professor"??

> I always liked the comedies.

>

> I liked Petticoat Junction because of the dog.

>

petticoat_junction.jpg

I love their dresses!

I know I've seen PJ but I can't remember any of the episodes. Of the "rural" type comedies, I remember watching "The Beverly Hillbillies" as a kid. When TV Land was worthwhile, I later discovered "The Real McCoys" and "Green Acres" (love Eva Gabor).

> I loved the DIck Van Dyke episode with Laura's toe stuck in the tub faucet and he tries to break the door down in his smoking jacket because they have tickets to Camelot. There is also one where he was trying to come up with a sketch for the show, and he finally thought of one where he was drumming a pen in his hand but it wasn't a pen it was a pen-knife instead, and he stepped in a wastebasket and on and on with the slapstick.....

>

Lol, yes, those were hilarious! I think the one about slapstick featured veteran character actor, Jay C. Flippen (who was in all those John Wayne movies and tons of others).

2068_117859372718.jpg

What kills me about the faucet episode is Rob drew on a David Nivenesque mustache with a laundry marker, lol! Oh, and Kathleen Freeman shows up once again to play the sarcastic maid! :D

kathfree3.jpg

I don't remember getting the TV too much as a kid, so Captain Kangaroo and Wonderful World of Disney were probably the only shows I could watch and have the TV to myself. God I loved Mr. Greenjeans. And Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit.

>

Oooh, I absolutely adored "Captain Kangaroo"! Bunny Rabbit was my favorite.

captain.jpg

> Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and Carol Burnett were always the ones we watched. I remember a really funny episode of MTM where Mary had a bump in her hair and was sick. Her clothes didn't come back from the dry cleaners in time and she had an awards show to go to. Hilarious.

>

Ha, I remember that one, too! She is such a terrific comic actress. I love Bob Newhart and Carol, too. They never fail to make me laugh, especially Bob's neighbor, Howard.

marytylermooreshow1.jpg

bobnewhartshow.jpg

fJkM0WOSYvNeeHM.jpg

Some of my favorites are I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I miss when these type of shows were shown all the time on Nick at Nite & TV Land.

I also adore classic game shows. I really like the old B&W *Password* episodes. They actually had some interesting celebs on like Jimmy Stewart. And of course *What's My Line*. I can spend hours on youtube looking up the special guest portion of that show. There were so many wonderful classic stars on.

And finally one of the things I am really obsessed with is *Match Game 7X*. They don't have a lot of big movie stars but they do have a lot of great TV stars from the 60's & 70's on the panel. And speaking of *Eva Gabor* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-cyTCey0Y

Some of these aren't "classics," but they are my favorite shows of all time.

10. The Phil Silvers Show

Favorite episode: The Horse

9. Police Squad!... in color!

Favorite episode: "A Substantial Gift (The Broken Promise)"

8. Mystery Science Theater

Favorite episode: "Space Mutiny"

7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Favorite episode: "Fog Closing In"

6. The X-Files

Favorite episode: "Paper Hearts"

5. Bosom Buddies

Favorite episode: "Kip and Sonny's Date"

4. The Dukes of Hazzard

Favorite episode: "Duke vs. Duke"

3. Batman

Favorite episode: "The Joker is Wild - Batman is Riled"

2. Three's Company

Favorite episode: A Camping We Will Go

1. The Simpsons

Favorite episode: Homer's Enemy

Hi Kinokima!

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Some of my favorites are I Love Lucy, Hogan's Heroes, Bewitched, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I miss when these type of shows were shown all the time on Nick at Nite & TV Land.

>

Oh, so do I. It's a travesty on that network now.

> I also adore classic game shows. I really like the old B&W *Password* episodes. They actually had some interesting celebs on like Jimmy Stewart. And of course *What's My Line*. I can spend hours on youtube looking up the special guest portion of that show. There were so many wonderful classic stars on.

>

I have seen some of those YouTubes with the stars on "What's My Line", too! They're really cool. I can't believe some of the people they got to come on.

I've never seen any of the others, but I remember when I was little watching "Hollywood Squares".

> And finally one of the things I am really obsessed with is *Match Game 7X*. They don't have a lot of big movie stars but they do have a lot of great TV stars from the 60's & 70's on the panel. And speaking of *Eva Gabor* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-cyTCey0Y

Hahahahahaaaa! I've seen that show, too! The Match Game and Hollywood Squares were the two I remember most. I think I only got to watch them if I was home sick or it was a school holiday.

Hi, Bela :P

> 10. The Phil Silvers Show

>

> Favorite episode: The Horse

>

I've never seen this show yet. This is the one with Bronxie's "Duane", right?

> 9. Police Squad!... in color!

>

> Favorite episode: "A Substantial Gift (The Broken Promise)"

>

hahaaaa! That intro is pretty funny. Never saw the show.

> 8. Mystery Science Theater

>

> Favorite episode: "Space Mutiny"

>

I have a few of these on DVD, thanks to a certain kind gentlemen from Texas, but have yet to watch them and see what they are about.

> 7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents

>

> Favorite episode: "Fog Closing In"

>

I'm surprised you like that one so much.

> 6. The X-Files

>

> Favorite episode: "Paper Hearts"

>

I've never seen that show, either. I was not really into too many Sci-Fi shows, except I remember loving this one because I had a crush on the star:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO8kFHCXiEg

> 3. Batman

>

> Favorite episode: "The Joker is Wild - Batman is Riled"

>

I did watch this show, without too much enthusiasm except when Catwoman came on. Robin always annoyed me.

> 2. Three's Company

>

> Favorite episode: A Camping We Will Go

>

> 1. The Simpsons

>

> Favorite episode: Homer's Enemy

:P

Hi, Bela

:P

I've never seen this show yet. This is the one with Bronxie's "Duane", right?

Yes. This is a terrific "Doberman" episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCHFoUx3Fo

I have a few of these on DVD, thanks to a certain kind gentlemen from Texas, but have yet to watch them and see what they are about.

What?! You?! You'll hate it.

I'm surprised you like that one so much.

It's psychological at its best.

I've never seen that show, either. I was not really into too many Sci-Fi shows, except I remember loving this one because I had a crush on the star:

I used to watch Buck Rogers when I was kid. I liked Erin. The X-Files is a mix of sci-fi and horror. It's the horror I like.

I did watch this show, without too much enthusiasm except when Catwoman came on. Robin always annoyed me.

:D The villains were fantastic and Adam West kills me.