MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

Hard to believe its almost 20 years since Johnny signed off. Still waiting for a worthy replacement.

I've been watching The Jack Benny Show on my local Retro TV network on Sunday nights (sadly, last night is the last one they're going to show for a while.) Anyway, last night Jack & Mary go to Rome for some reason (and at least part of it was filmed on location at Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steppes) and their taxi driver was none other than Sean Connery, Scottish accent and all. I noticed at the end it was filmed at Pinewood in England in 1956!! Connery wasn't convincing as an Italian but it was funny to see him pop up.

oh my gosh, Helenbaby! I would love to see that show.... I am a big Jack Benny Show fan, and also would love to see Sean at that stage of his career. Woof. I am gonna check and see if it's on youtube.

TVLand aired one of my favorite "Bewitched" episodes today,

"The Girl Reporter". Here it is on YouTube, only it's colorized ( :( ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12V4H-WSQNg

Watching the young bruiser who plays the jock, i was reminded

of Troy Donohue, only this kid has personality and is funny. I wonder

why Troy made it and not this guy?

the actress who plays Liza Randall also played the same exact

kind of character on "The Dick Van Dyke Show". Cute girl, I wonder

what became of her.

Does anybody know Encore Westerns began running Wagon Train this week between The Virginian and Have Gun, Will Travel? They are running in sequence starting with the pilot. I barely remember these early episodes so this is like a new show for me. The three I've seen are definitely "adult Westerns" which is how they were pitched back in 1957. There are established stars, future ones on their way up, and good character actors. I've got another reason to be home by 5:45. Thought some of you might want to know.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Jan 6, 2011 3:32 PM

They've been running "Have Gun Will Travel" for at least a year and we have had discussions about it. It is well liked around here. True enough, "Wagon Train" just started and with it being that recent there isn't much yet but there has been some general favorable comments.

Hum, is this favorite when we were younger, or now that we are older?

Younger:

Mr Lucky

77 Sunset Strip

Hawaiian Eye

Route 66

Star Trek (original)

Now:

Frasier

Father Knows Best

Twilight Zone

Bob Newhart Show (Chicago Therapist)

Newhart (Vermont Innkeeper)

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> Does anybody know Encore Westerns began running Wagon Train this week between The Virginian and Have Gun, Will Travel? They are running in sequence starting with the pilot. I barely remember these early episodes so this is like a new show for me. The three I've seen are definitely "adult Westerns" which is how they were pitched back in 1957. There are established stars, future ones on their way up, and good character actors. I've got another reason to be home by 5:45. Thought some of you might want to know.

I watched the marathon on Saturday and have been enjoying the show so far. I never saw it before. It's great seeing Wardy, though he doesn't look in the best of health. Love his "dadblasteds" and "That'll be the day's..." :D

It's fun anticipating the guest stars, they were wonderful, and as you say, intelligent storylines. Have to give Wardy some credit, as he apparently worked hard to make the show a success. He was involved in every aspect of story, casting, dialogue and production.

I really liked the one with Agnes Moorehead, which is yet to come up in the evening slot. It brought a tear to my eye.

He must not have been in good health as he died of a heart attack at the end of season three or four. That's how John McIntire ened up leading the train for the rest of the run.

Look for an episode titled The Coulter Craven Story. John Ford directed it and Michael Morrison-better known as John Wayne-was a guest star. I think this was just before Bond died; if not I'm sure FredC will correct me.

I've had "The Colter Craven Story" on my wish list for years, so I can't wait till it comes on. One biographer rated it very low (for Ford) but I'm a "completist" when it comes to his stuff.

It's from the fourth season so I don't think it will air any time soon.

looks like those of us who never got to see what all the fuss was about

*Ernie Kovaks* can soon catch up:

http://www.classicflix.com/ernie-kovacs-collection-p-10740.html

The "Ernie Kovacs Collection", 6 discs of his television shows, is due in April.

Shout Factory usually put out a good quality product, too.

MissGoddess, you will laugh until your sides hurt your eyes have tears of joy. So will those of us who saw them the first time around. I want a set.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> MissGoddess, you will laugh until your sides hurt your eyes have tears of joy. So will those of us who saw them the first time around. I want a set.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they're all about!

From April 1957, Elizabeth and Mike Todd talking to Murrow on "Person to Person." It's mostly a Mike interview, but Elizabeth is a vision.

Mr.Todd says at one point that Raintree will be Elizabeth's "last picture for a long while ." . . hmmm . . .

Part 1 runs 10:58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7WGjkMCHSM

Part 2 runs only 1:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWB515pbe5E&feature=related

Wouldbestar: She certainly was radiant. A fun lady, I'm sure.

LuckyDan: I love that interview. It was the first time I really got to see what Mike Todd was like and I immediately understood why she was so smitten. He was very charismatic.

>LuckyDan: I love that interview. It was the first time I really got to see what Mike Todd was like and I immediately understood why she was so smitten. He was very charismatic.

I'm not sure I've seen him prior to that, either, aside from photographs. Though he seems a tad out of his element in that interview, he still lives up to his billing as a Type A kinda guy.

I just read he was the son of a rabbi and was first married at 17, to a girl he was too shy to approach at first. He definitely had some assertiveness training somewhere along the line.

>LuckyDan: I love that interview. It was the first time I really got to see what Mike Todd was like and I immediately understood why she was so smitten. He was very charismatic.

I'm not sure I've seen him prior to that, either, aside from photographs. Though he seems a tad out of his element in that interview, he still lives up to his billing as a Type A kinda guy.

I just read he was the son of a rabbi and was first married at 17, to a girl he was too shy to approach at first. He definitely had some assertiveness training somewhere along the line.

my faves:

The X Files

La Femme Nikita

The Wire

Bewitched

The Golden Girls

The Big Valley

The Steve Harvey Show

Beverly Hills 90210

Sex And The City

The Twilight Zone

A Different Word

Hart To Hart

Living Single

Remington Steel

I Love Lucy

Cheers

Amen

Martin

Night Court

I've found another gem! In the dollar DVD bin at Sav-a-Lot was a Dragnet with 16 episodes from the early 50's with commercials. I've only seen 2 so far but one had a very young "Marty" Milner-15 years before Adam-12 and another a blonde "Caroline" Jones. The M.E. is Olan Soule. The sound is not that great and the picture is rather dark but they are worth it just to enjoy the show. I had the fun of telling the cop on shoplifting duty and too young to have seen it that it's what Badge of Honor in LA Confidential really was. He loves that movie and said he was getting a disk after he got off to see the original. One dollar well spent; how often can you say that?

Hi *TampaTeddy*,

I see several excellent shows on your list. My eyes popped at "Celebrity Bowling"...it sounds like a riot! I never heard of that one, I wonder who some of the celebrities were. I like seeing some of the old time game/variety shows they have on YouTube.

Hi *wouldbestar*,

I saw "Dragnet" for the first time years ago when TVLand used to air it (back when it really was about classic TV shows). I enjoyed it, even if it made me giggle sometimes. I like Jack Webb a lot, even in the movies. And I bet seeing some of those commercials was fun, if they were vintage to that era.

Thanks for dusting off this thread, folks. My own classic TV "fix" lately has been the western shows on Encore Westerns. I wish I had some of the newer Cable "sub channels" out there that are showing many of the old favorites. Unfortunately, TimeWarner in Manrattan is severely limited. Thank goodness for Netflix and YouTube!

Dragnet

dragnet-2.jpg

The F.B.I.

fbi.jpg

Adam-12

adam12.jpg

Car 54 Where Are You?

kwBuuQM0xo1S8iF.jpg

Highway Patrol

bcrawford.jpg

I've been re-watching these shows lately for some reason:

Bob Newhart Show