MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

I really like the first three. "M*A*S*H" and "The Bob Newhart Show" were favorites of my father and "I Spy" is a show I recently "discovered" when it used to air on cable a couple of years ago. I loved the international locations.

Last week on a lark I watched the pilot to "Mission Impossible." I remember when I was young and used to really enjoy it. I remember them as having little dialog but built tension on whether they would get caught.

Steven Hill, having spent so many years on "Law and Order" stars as the head of the group. Martin Landau and a slinky Barbara Bain come along. (She comes to use her attributes to be a distraction.)

But for the pilot, and I'm not so sure how many more the most unusual cast member was, of all people......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ20jEjGFPp7XvU5ErINTs

Wally Cox.

Edited by: movieman1957 on May 4, 2011 11:21 PM

If you get RTV, you're in for a treat. They've begun running Police Story, Starsky & Hutch, The Saint, Naked City, Movin' On, and Route 66. These shows span three decades-50's through 70's-and many won or were nominated for all types of awards as were a lot of the actors, writers, and directors involved. I thought Christmas only came in July or December. Enjoy!

>If you get RTV, you're in for a treat.

It showed up on my cable system a few weeks ago. I've gotten a kick out of watching Peter Gunn at 11:30 p.m. I remember watching it as a kid, but now I notice that Craig Stevens seems to be doing a dead-on impersonation of Cary Grant, less the British accent.

I also watched a few minutes of The Naked City this afternoon, and noticed Eli Wallach as a guest star. It also looked like Peter Falk had a cameo in the beginning, as a hood gunned down by Wallach.

On Saturday nights, they show "Off Beat Cinema," with a few people dressed as beatniks who introduce crappy films (you know, the ones I adore).

The Bob Newhart Show. I am a movie watcher and the only show I ever liked was that show. I loved him even before he started on the show when he would perform his one sided telephone conversation act.

The shows they have on today are stupid. I was watching that show "Friends" on t.v. once because I just turned it on accidently and it was a rerun and I was 47 at the time.(8 yrs ago) The character on Friends mentioned she would rather kill herself than turn age 30. I became irate, throwing my popcorn at the t.v. screen and yelling,"WHAT?! Some people would KILL just to BE 30 again and YOU want to die because you are TURNING 30??" Can you imagine the reaction of a 57 yr old woman? (me in two yrs) She would throw empty beer cans at the t.v. screen. And heaven forbid a 67 yr old woman watch that show...because HER beer cans would be FULL. And if a 77 yr old woman were to watch it? She'd toss the t.v. out the window.

The Bob Newhart Show. I am a movie watcher and the only show I ever liked was that show. I loved him even before he started on the show when he would perform his one sided telephone conversation act.

The shows they have on today are stupid. I was watching that show "Friends" on t.v. once because I just turned it on accidently and it was a rerun and I was 47 at the time.(8 yrs ago) The character on Friends mentioned she would rather kill herself than turn age 30. I became irate, throwing my popcorn at the t.v. screen and yelling,"WHAT?! Some people would KILL just to BE 30 again and YOU want to die because you are TURNING 30??" Can you imagine the reaction of a 57 yr old woman? (me in two yrs) She would throw empty beer cans at the t.v. screen. And heaven forbid a 67 yr old woman watch that show...because HER beer cans would be FULL. And if a 77 yr old woman were to watch it? She'd toss the t.v. out the window.

Hey April!

I'm so glad you created this thread. :)

I LOVE Classic TV Shows; I have so many favorites but I'm gonna have to say *I Love Lucy* is my all time favorite. No matter how crappy my day is, if I just pop in an episode of *I Love Lucy*, it makes me feel 100% better. They're especially best to watch when laying in bed sick or something, lol. I don't know why, but it just makes me so happy :)

Oh! There's another one, too, but I don't know if it's very well known. It's called *Life with Elizabeth.*

It stars Bette White. It's so funny! I was wondering if anyone else was familiar with it...

I haven't watched it yet, but a best-of program of one of my favorite 70s TV shows, PBS' The Great American Dream Machine just showed up on one of the sub channels of one of the three PBS stations I can get on cable. I thought I'd never get to see any of it again!

Hi Mrs C! I'm so sorry I did not seen your post until now! I didn't have this thread on a "Watch" and am just getting back to it.

I can think of many times Lucy brought me up from the blues...and it doesn't matter how often I've seen her shows. It's interesting too, how you can see the influence of "I Love Lucy" on television down to this day. Plots show up in recent sit-coms, transformed and recycled but still recognizable. My favorites are the early episodes, when Lucy was constantly in money troubles. :)

I never heard of "Life with Elizabeth"...was that something Betty did following "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"? It's great the way she keeps working to this day.

Steve Allen and Jack Paar were originals. The current crop (especially Leno and Letterman) is pathetic.

I've been renting the first season of Laverne & Shirley. It's non-stop funny. The chemistry between the stars is perfect. And Lenny and Squiggy? ROTFL!

Bob Newhart I can always watch,MASH I can always watch even though I've seen them all at least twice. One that inches these out was The Carroll Burnette shows, Their take on GWTW was hysterical!!!!

The whole cast was sooo funny and it was even better when they would start to laugh on set at each other(and this happened a lot)

:^0 I just saw your post. *Life with Elizabeth *was from the early 50's when Lucy, Joan Davis and the Nelsons were all doing domestic comedies. 60 years later Betty is still at it at 90 and up for an Emmy for *Hot in Cleveland.* Some things really never change and in this case that's good.

I really like "The Bob Newhart Show" and I think the theme music is actually kind of groovy!

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}:^0 I just saw your post. *Life with Elizabeth *was from the early 50's when Lucy, Joan Davis and the Nelsons were all doing domestic comedies. 60 years later Betty is still at it at 90 and up for an Emmy for *Hot in Cleveland.* Some things really never change and in this case that's good.

Thank you wouldbestar...guess what? Some episodes are on YouTube:

She sounds exactly the same (I never pictured her as a brunette, though!)

When I watched the documentary on James Dean the other night-if you've not seen it do-he starred in The Hound of Heaven with John Carradine that was an early version of *The Twilight Zone's* The Hunt. They played the scene where the old man finds out from the angel that his dog has saved him from Hell. I'm not certain which version was better but am leaning towards the *TZ* one because I love Arthur Hunnicutt. There were many clips of early 50's TV with popular actors of the time in their youth. My jaw just kept dropping. It's amazing how much work he did before those three movies.

Right now the Boomerang tv channel is showing The Munsters and The Addams Family starting at 7 pm est. I watched both as a very young kid in 1964/65. Even then I liked The Addams Family more, now as an adult its no contest, The Addams Family was a far superior show. Let the debate begin.

Hi, MrR...are you referring to the Boomerang channel that shows (used to show) classic cartoons? I'm going to add it to my favorites, then...that's great!

I admit I'm a "Munsters" gal, but that's probably because I saw that show first. I love Grandpa. I didn't see "The Addams Family" until just a few years ago, in fact. It never seemd to be re-run as frequently as TM.

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}When I watched the documentary on James Dean the other night-if you've not seen it do-he starred in The Hound of Heaven with John Carradine that was an early version of *The Twilight Zone's *The Hunt. They played the scene where the old man finds out from the angel that his dog has saved him from Hell. I'm not certain which version was better but am leaning towards the *TZ* one because I love Arthur Hunnicutt. There were many clips of early 50's TV with popular actors of the time in their youth. My jaw just kept dropping. It's amazing how much work he did before those three movies.

I'd love to see that "Hound of Heaven" if only for John Carradine. He was in a particularly creepy TZ episode playing an old religious monk who had "the devil" locked up in his dungeon.

When the new season started up last month the station that had been providing us with RTV replaced it with Me TV as some of you reported had happened in your areas. I was miffed at first but am now glad they did. There is much more variety in the programing and the reception is a big improvement. It's becomming rather addictive.

What is Boomerang? Our cable group also replaced American Life with some junk that combines old shows with viewer videos and is a mess so I'm open to new stuff.

My understanding that Boomerang is a network geared towards kids or those who used to be kids. They show old cartoons, (Hanna Barberra, etc.) and old shows that were geared towards the young 'uns.

I believe that the only non-cartoon shows currently on Boomerang are the original shows of The Munsters and The Addams Family. They have also been showing the very earliest episodes of The Flintstones which include the original opening and closing segments to the show. I hadn't seen those bits in many, many years.