MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

the Bob Newhart show. wow. what a show. I always loved Bob Newhart and was watching him when he was still famous for doing his one sided telephone conversation act which ofcourse made him famous.

the Bob Newhart show. wow. what a show. I always loved Bob Newhart and was watching him when he was still famous for doing his one sided telephone conversation act which ofcourse made him famous.

Hi, theoldieslover...I enjoyed "The Bob Newhart Show", too. Love Bill Daily.

1275591727_1.jpg

I finished watching the first disc of season 1 of "The Barbara Stanwyck Show" last night. It's an anthology series along the lines of those done by Robert Montgomery, Ronald Colman, etc. I was suprised to see that Barbara herself starred in all of them (so far). Some have interesting behind the camera talent like Jacques Tourneur and Nick Musuraca. It's a very classy show, Barbara looks fantastic and her energy is quite awesome, considering she was also working in movies. She won an Emmy, I believe, for the show.

I actually liked Bob Newhart's second show , *Newhart* , more than the first (which was still very good IMO) . The third show he did , *Bob* , was also very good but it never caught on and was only on a short time. We sure could use a "Newhart" type show on tv today.

She did win her first Emmy for this show, just after it had been canceled. It became a running joke; any other actor in the same boat usually commented on the great company he/she was in.

Unlike the Oscars, Emmy voters gave her two more, for *The Big Valley* and *The Thorn Birds.* I'll never forget her classy reaction to the last one which everybody-including Ms. Stanwyck-thought was Ann- Margaret's. She said "oh, no!" several times before going up to the stage and all but apologized to Ann-Margaret while still being grateful for the award. I've read several negative things about her recently but always balance them with this.

Hi wouldbestar...three Emmys...that's not bad. I thought Barbara was great in "The Thorn Birds". Check out "The Barbara Stanwyck Show" if you ever get a chance. It's pretty good.

On another note, it looks like Encore Westerns will be adding "Laredo" and "Rawhide" to their lineup in January. They may also be introducing the very first season of "Gunsmoke", when it was only a half hour format, judging by the clip they show in a promo.

I look forward to those, though I hope they don't bump "Have Gun, Will Travel" or "Wagon Train".

According to a comment on the Starz website it looks like "Cheyenne," "Maverick" and "The Virginian" may be gone. Early "Gunsmoke" episodes may show up. (One complaint about too much "Gunsmoke.") And, of course, those you mentioned.

I've seen the first two discs of "Rawhide" and thought it was pretty good.

Thanks, Cowboy Chris!

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> According to a comment on the Starz website it looks like "Cheyenne," "Maverick" and "The Virginian" may be gone. Early "Gunsmoke" episodes may show up. (One complaint about too much "Gunsmoke.") And, of course, those you mentioned.

>

I can never get enough "Matt" and "Miss Kitty". :) I wonder if the half hour episodes will replace the hour long ones, or be in addition?

I'm sorry to see "Cheyenne" and "Maverick" go. I think I've seen just about all "The Virginian" episodes at least twice. I don't like the later seasons nearly as much as the first one.

> I've seen the first two discs of "Rawhide" and thought it was pretty good.

>

I've only seen a handful of them. They seemed very well done. And that theme song has to be one of the most famous! "Laredo" is new to me.

LAREDO?!! Believe it or not, that was my show as a kid! I was a faithful watcher. Loved big ol' William Smith and handsome Peter Brown and Robert Wolders.

I have been watching episodes of F Troop (1965-1967) and Nanny and the Professor (1970-1971). I like both of them very much.

If you get MeTV, the original *Gunsmoke* episodes, *The Rifleman, The Big Valley,* and *Rawhide* are running now. Retr has *Maverick* on Saturday night. *The Rifleman* is on AMC as well. Encore does need to change the lineup and these are classics. I'd like to see* Wanted, Dead or Alive* and the *Zane Grey Theater* again. *Laredo* is a comedy as was *F-Troop.* Yehaw!

*F-Troop* often gets knocked as a stupid show, like so many other sitcoms of the 60's. As a kid I really enjoyed those shows. They were just mindless fun, entertaining shows. Its a shame there can't be a few shows like that on TV today for kids (and adults). At least we have reruns.

I do not have access to either MeTV or Encore.

I have tried to watch many serious western movies and television shows. They do not suit me. I have a distinct sense of them being fake because of the way they handle their horses. This takes me out of a suspension of disbelief. This is not a factor with movies and shows which are not meant to be serious. To see a comedy western has been revealing and entertaining.

I have been placing hints that I wish the DVD set of The Muppet Show for Christmas. That is a show I have only been able to see in snippets on YouTube.

Wouldbestar, I'm so disappointed I don't get any of those channels you all talk about like Retro, Me TV or any of those "sub-channels" they now have that sometimes run classics. I don't know why New York is so limited as to cable channels. It's unbelievably barren. So, I rent the DVDs, if available.

I saw "F-Troop" on reruns as a kid. I didn't know "Laredo" was a comedy.

Sans-fin, is it the western style saddle that looks off to you? Because actors like Ben Johnson, Gary Cooper and Joel McCrea rode before they could walk and are wonderfully relaxed on their horses. I'd recommend their westerns if the riding style is that much of a distraction. They're a thing of grace and beauty and were often given long shots just to show off their riding ability, especially Johnson.

I didn't know about any of those stations until a few weeks ago when I stayed at my wife's godparents house in Palm Springs. I got to see a lot of classic TV that the So Cal stations in the OC do NOT have.

I can see why a retirement area like Palm Springs carries these stations. I guess I have to go stay at their house more often! Of course I go there to hike and not sit and watch TV but after a long day it is nice to see Perry Mason reruns or other classic TV shows.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Sans-fin, is it the western style saddle that looks off to you?

It is that the horses act very different from what I expect. My father's parents farmed with horses. I came to know also horses from neighbors' farms when I stayed on the farm during some summers.

If you were to swing quickly into the saddle and drop your weight onto any of them I am sure the next moment you would be on the ground with a hoof on your chest. It is the same as you would expect if you hit a person across the back with a heavy sack: they would not be happy.

It is not only when a character leaps into the saddle for dramatic effect. It is in every movie and television show I have watched that actors do not gently settle into the saddle.

There are many other little things in the handling of horses and their reactions which do not ring true to me. The seating is only the first obvious one which I can call to mind.

I am sure it is my perception as I did not grow up with horses trained to accept such behaviour that it looks to me to be unnatural and staged.

Edited by: SansFin on Nov 19, 2011 10:38 PM

COMBAT! was the BEST show of all...great, realistic t.v. show....acting was phenomenal not to mention how incredibly sexy, macho Vic Morrow was in that show. 45 year old show - and still holds up well today.

i agree that "combat!" was one of the best old tv shows! good acting...vic morrow...etc. i also enjoyed "the wild wild west." fairly good acting (robert conrad and ross martin were great) but a lot of action! haha.

A terrific show. I've been going through the seasons courtesy of Netflix. Morrow was good but he had a great supporting cast of, what were then and still mostly are, unknowns. They were also very good at getting quality guest stars.

After watching them fairly close together the two things that become apparent is how often they got hurt and that you didn't want to be the new guy in the squad.

Wouldbestar, I am sooo excited that we now get MeTV in Vegas. I can't pick just one but among my favorites are The Bob Newhart Show, Perry Mason, Taxi and on and on. I don't like that many of today's shows and am sick to death of these so called "reality" shows because I could care less about the Kardashians, or any of the Housewives.

Off topic but can anyone name the first reality show (name and creators)?

I adore *the Bob Newhart Show* and *Newhart.* The characters were priceless...

>*Hello, my name is Larry, This is my brother, Darrell, and my other brother Darrell...*

Bonjour, Miss G! My cable Mystery Channel now runs back-to-back episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour every week, and last night they ran a pip -- one I'd never heard of, let alone seen -- starring Joan Fontaine as "The Paragon" (eppy title) with Gary Merrill as her long-suffering husband. Oh, mama! Joan plays (to perfection) a meddling control freak who is ruining the lives of her entire family. She makes June Allyson in THE SHRIKE look positively harmless, lol. Every time Joanie stops by for a "friendly" visit, they either bolt, or quake, or inwardly rage. "My dear", she lectures her sister-in-law, "Your button is missing. That shows a lack of character". Joan is plagued by nightmares in which she sees strange, dark forms enveloping her bedroom curtains, but in the daylight she ignores these ominous dreams and continues blithely on her undermining way....

That was a great ep. Joan's hair do was, well, as out there as she was. I was hoping for some twist that would put her out of everyone's misery, but leave Gary Merrill free from legal problems.

I think the channel was called Encore Mystery, but it is now called Encore Suspense, at least on Comcast. I've watched several of these, and DVRed the rest. I lost one to the dreaded 'black screen." I'm hoping it repeats.

They have been showing them all in original release order, with a very few repeats. They did skip one ep, which I hope they pick up later. There are three seasons. I'm hoping they air them all. Maybe if we're lucky, they'll do another marathon over the holidays!

Hi Lady BG! I saw "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" last night, too! Wow, Joan almost made me grateful I don't really have a family.