MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

Could you believe Virginia Vincent and beautiful, chic Joan were sisters? Maybe they had different fathers, lol. Virginia seemed to take after the mother. I also saw (on YouTube) the "Sybilla" episode, with Barbara Bel Geddes playing the most understanding wife in all creation. Alexander Scourby, of all people, seemed SO miscast as the suspicious, neurotic husband. It's a part that cried out for Vincent Price.

Can you steer me (get it, lol?) to where everyone (but me) was discussing GIANT? I think it was in your Rambles. but I can't hone in on the posts. I need to refresh my memory of what was said. I know everyone's moved on from that movie, but the eyes of Mom and myself are upon it, and we'd like to weigh in.

I haven't seen "Sybilla" was that Sybill's unreported personality? :D

I tried to find the discussions on *Giant*, there was my aborted on in "Rambles" and, I think, the other more recent one was in "The Frank Grimes Torture" thread but they only let me search so far back and then up comes nothing but blank pages. I'm afraid when they "upgraded" here at TCM, some of the longer threads got cut off at the knees. :( I also did a search and nothing came up.

If you want to post in "Rambles" about *Giant* or the *Torture* thread, please do. I look forward to it.

Ha! It's interesting that this Sybilla is the same name as Joan Greenwood's character in KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS; also, a diary is involved, as well as a murder plot.

Merci beaucoup for trying to find the GIANT discussions; I came up empty (not unusual for moi) but will look in Torture. I hate to review the movie in a vacuum, not knowing what other posters have insightfully contributed.

You're right about the *Combat* cast not becomming known for much else but during its run Pierre Jaubert, who played Caje, turned up on an old episode of Art Linkletter's *People are Funny* where he profiled computer dating. Jaubert was the male member of the matched pair. It was one of those "who knew" moments and I saw at how quickly things can change for an actor.

I don't know if this would qualify as a "reality show" but how about *You Asked for It* which was often parodied on *Happy Days* as You Wanted to See It? I think the now famous-or infamous-jumping the shark scene was part of one of these episodes.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Nov 27, 2011 5:50 PM

Cage was played by Pierre Lambert in the COMBAT t.v. series. He was an olympic skier for Canada prior to getting the role in COMBAT. I think the actor who played Littlejohn, Dick Peabody, was a radio announcer before getting the role in COMBAT. Vic Morrow and Rick Jason were the only established actors on that show - and yet, the whole squad acted phenomenally in this terrific show.

CasablancaLover you probably already know this bit of trivia but the last episode of Newhart was the most watched last episode of a TV show ever and still holds the record.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}Which is how it should be. This ending was a total surprise I doubt anybody saw coming. I wonder if poor Bob ever got out of Emily’s doghouse for dreaming about a blonde wife.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Times New Roman}{font}{font:Times New Roman}{font:}I’m sorry about the large type. Some computer “updates” scrambled my internet and I’m lucky I can post. I can’t access the smiley faces now and the type on the posting is very small. I overcompensated doing a cut and paste from Word. This should be better. I certainly don’t think my points of view are bigger than anyone else’s.{font}{font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Dec 1, 2011 7:18 PM

{font:}{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}That’s a big 10-4!{font}{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}*{font:}This {font}*{font:}runs it every Tuesday-Saturday mornings at 5:00 EST. I catch it if I’m awake as I loved it too.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Thank you for telling me where it was filmed. The narration hints at and it looks like most small towns across America did then and I always wondered where they were. The actors looked and sounded like real people and the stories dealt with positive things like rescues as well as capturing criminals. At various times the uniformed officers include Stuart Whitman, Gregg Palmer and Guy Williams and you can see Barbara Eden, Peter Breck and Leonard Nimoy early in their careers. Art Gilmore was a well-known voice and that gave it a sense of reality as well. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}For me it’s the cars; every make of the big 3 companies show up and back then they were all different. I can pick out the Buick from the Chevy, Olds or Pontiac; the Chrysler from the Dodge, Dodge or DeSoto or the Ford from the Mercury. Twenty years later each was putting the sane two or three covers on all their makes and you had to guess which was which.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}Did anyone ever see the *CHIPs* episode where Ponch stops Broderick Crawford for speeding and is so floored he can barely give him a ticket because the show made him want to be a patrolman? It’s a riot. {font}

Unlike Dragnet, which told you it was based on the Los Angeles police department, Highway Patrol used the California Highway Patrol as a model but avoided any direct reference to the state, so by being generic the show could represent any state police force. The closest that any actor in the series came to being a costar to Crawford was William Boyett who later would be the precinct sergeant in Adam 12 . Quite a few future stars made appearances on Highway Patrol including Clint Eastwood, Robert Conrad, Dyan Cannon, and perhaps the most startling , Joe Flynn (Capt Binghamton on McHale's Navy) as a ruthless thug who holds a old couple hostage in their house. And yes I love the cars (modeled after each years CHP cars) , especially the D 500 Dodge sedans .

How many seasons was "Highway Patrol" on the air? I recall episodes of most of the '50s shows, but I don't recall ever watching HP. What day and time was it on? Maybe past my bedtime.

Highway Patrol was on for 4 years starting in the fall of 1955. I don't know what day or time slot the show was first broadcast. It was a popular syndicated show (reruns) in the 60's which is when I first saw it. In the Philly area one of the 3 major stations (3, 6, or 10) had it on Saturdays in the morning or early afternoon. In those good old days the only stations we could get were 3, 6, and 10. Until one day my dad got a converter box and antenna and we could watch uhf channels 17, 29, and 48. One of those independents may have also aired HP at times.

*<span style="color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">Highway Patrol*<span style="color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";"> was never a network show but always syndicated. The stations that carried it chose when to broadcast it.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}<span style="color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">This was not unusual. Most of the *ZIV* produced series were done this way and many are classics. *Sea Hunt* and *Tombstone Territory* were others although I think *Sea Hunt* might have graduated to a network. There were nearly as many shows made and sold directly to affiliates as there were network offerings and many just as good. I remember many fondly.

I have no idea what is going on here. I tried to edit the message and all this gibberish showed up. I hope you all get the idea.

<span style="color: black; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";">

{font:Calibri} {font}

Edited by: wouldbestar on Dec 11, 2011 1:39 PM

Edited by: wouldbestar on Dec 11, 2011 1:42 PM

On Saturday mornings in the sixties, all the neighborhood kids, including myself, were generally playing in a shuffleboard little league. No wonder I never saw it.

You mean you never got sick or had a bad weather day? You lucky kid, for me it seemed like I always was well and had nice sunny days Monday - Friday, but on the weekends there was horrible weather or I got some sort of flu bug or the measles, or whatever. Never got the breaks. ;)

A delightfully creepy episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" aired

tonight on Encore Mystery and I just found it is available to view at

Hulu.com.

It's called *Thanatos Palace Hotel* and stars Angie Dickinson. This is

not your typical resort hotel...more like hotel of last resort. :)

Miss G., I'm watching all the Hitchcock Hour episodes on Hulu! I'll get around to Thanatos Palace Hotel, which I saw many years ago. I remember it being creepy, yes! I don't know if I have the nerve to revisit the one with the nurses being killed off, what's that title, The Unopened Window? Scary! Another one that really chills me is Consider Her Ways.

Hi Duchess!

Oh yes...the Window episode...that is definitely one of the scariest ever. I still can't get over that twist ending....wow!

I don't know if I've seen "Consider Her Ways"...I've seen only about five or six of the hour long shows. I look forward to catching the rest online or on Encore. I eat them up.

I'm such a wuss, lol.

You've got to see Consider Her Ways. Talk about a nightmare scenario....(it's got a great creepy twist as well)

Happy viewing!

Ah!!! Enjoy! It's very atypical I think, for a Hitchcock episode, being more in a sci-fi vein. Adapted from a story by John Wyndham, who also more famously gave us the tale of The Midwich Cuckoos, upon which the movie THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS is based.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 18, 2012 1:46 AM

I've been watching them on Encore. So far it seems that in the third season, they are definitely stepping into scifi,and the paranormal on a regular basis. I also liked the one starring James Caan, Walter Koenig, and Tony Musante, Memo from Purgatory. It was written by Harlan Ellison, and directed by Joseph Pevney, who directed several eps of ST:TOS.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}Ah!!! Enjoy! It's very atypical I think, for a Hitchcock episode, being more in a sci-fi vein. Adapted from a story by John Wyndham, who also more famously gave us the tale of The Midwich Cuckoos, upon which the movie THE DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS is based.

>

> Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Jan 18, 2012 1:46 AMI thought the one with Angie was also very Twilight-Zonish, more than what I associate with Hitchcock but the two shows do kind of overlap in their story territory, I suppose.

Goodness, that "Consider Her Ways" was terrifying...it almost seemed like a premonition of the world today, lol. "Where are all the men?"