MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

I think I might have seen it on PBS a long time ago. It is available

on YouTube, though one video has Spanish subtitles and the other

has an added soundtrack. YT also has the version that appeared

on Alfred Hitchcock Presents which is different from the TZ one,

though it is based on the same story by Ambrose Bierce.

The Encounter episode is also on YT, co-starring Sulu, who has been

reduced to mowing lawns. Anything to get away from Captain Kirk.

That sounds like a good one. I'd sure like to see it. But, it is not the one I'd heard about, which was never shown at all.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}

> The people turning into pigs at the end one is undoubtedly 'Eye of the Beholder' (with its famous 'people with pig-faces' reveal).

>

No, I know Eye of the Beholder very well. The ep I read about was never shown anywhere. Possibly, Rod wrote the script, but it wasn't shot. I think it was shot, but I read about it in the 60s, or 70s, so I don't remember for certain. Also, it was a whole southern town that turned into pigs, because of their racism, and ran squealing through the streets. That's very different than EotB.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on Feb 22, 2012 2:10 AM

According to The Twilight Zone Companion (First Silman-James Press edition 1992) there are four episodes that are not in syndication. They are "Miniature," with Robert Duvall, which was the only hour-long episode never put into syndication due to copyright litigation (though it was aired in 1984); "A Short Drink From a Certain Fountain" "Sounds and Silences" and "The Encounter."

There may be another. The author contradicts himself in the book, describing "The Encounter" as one of four half-hour episodes not in syndication, and lists "Miniature" as one of them, but elsewhere says "Miniature" is the only hour-long episode not included. So, hell, I don't know.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}Thank you for the information on this episode. I went to "Wiki" and read the synopsis. A very haunting tale.{font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}{color:black}The article about the episode said that there was no evidence of Japanese-American disloyalty during the war. In a newsreel that ran on The History Channel the camera shows someone in their area of LA holding a sign saying "We are all loyal Americans; 25% of us are in the military." If true, that's a big bite of the population. And for this they got put in camps. {font}

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

*The Rebel* is on twice each Saturday morning on MeTV. They don't have the Johnny Cash theme-I guess there was a problem with his estate over music rights-but it's still good.

Nice thread. I like classic t.v. shows. I was wondering if anyone ever mentioned COMBAT!? That was one of the best shows of the 1960's. Does anyone remember it?

I mentioned it early on. In fact, I have been racing through the DVDs from Netflix. It still holds up. Even the commentaries are interesting.

The Twilight Zone. Maybe dated and strange to modern eyes, but the suspense is still there,

even on the third or fourth or umpteenth viewing. It didn't hurt to be black & white, either. And there was always a message of some kind. Sometimes you had to dig for it, other times it was obvious.

And of course there was Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Chilling stuff. But Hitch left you smiling.

:D Earlier on I mentioned having eight episodes of *Stories of the Century* and someone-I think I know who but am not certain as I can't find it on any thread-posted that he had the entire series. I got those DVDs from MU last Saturday-better than candy-and spent this week watching them. I have to thank whomever it was that tipped me off-please acknowledge.

In addition to the series they included three episodes of Edgar Buchanan's *Judge Roy Bean* which I'd heard of but never seen. Jack Beutel of *The Outlaw* was also in it, it was in color and was filmed at Pioneerville, CA. I realize that *Bonanza* was the first network series made in color but somebody needs to bring out that the final season of *The Lone Ranger* and this show were doing it three years before and if more were done earlier to recognize them as well.

As for the discs, I would need triple my fingers and toes to list all the A-list Western actors who popped up on this show in just one year and maybe more. I just let my jaw stay in drop position until the last episode and marveled at what I got for $20.00.

I was not aware that there were two female leads. I don't remember Kristine Miller even though I did one of her episodes. I'm leaning towards liking her Margaret Jones better than Mary Castle's Frankie Adams. She stands up to Matt's bouts of chauvinism better and usually wins.

About half of the people profiled I had never heard of so this was interesting. I was also shocked at how many of these outlaws operated not in the 70's but late 80's, 90's and into the last century. The "Old West" didn't seem so long ago.

Also, did they have pre-fab buildings back then? All the towns look alike; two-story buildings with balconies on each side of the street, an A-shaped log one on the right and a white box-shaped church with one steeple and gothic doors next door. Just kidding, they used the same set in nearly all the episodes like WB did with their Western movies and TV shows. And the time frame runs from 1868-1903 but Matt and the ladies never seem to age. I don't know if I was cynical enough to catch all this at nine or ten but--

The minus: Despite that "Based on official and newspaper records" claim much of the stories are hooey. They used accurate birth and death dates but I'm familiar with some of these peoples' lives and they played fast and loose with what was in between. I don't mean the shows aren't good and don't enjoy them but take them with a grain of salt and find out what really happened.

I'm still glad I got them.

Am I the last person on Earth to realize that this is Friday the 13th? I was going great until one of my electrical outlets stopped working and the complex office closed early. I went to document the date and time I saw what I had been missing until then. Feel free to comment, I'm not that thin skinned.

Edited by: wouldbestar on Apr 13, 2012 6:17 PM

Edited by: wouldbestar on Apr 13, 2012 7:49 PM

Time obviously dates them. Especially the ones set in their time frame. (Notice how big the "cordless phones" are in Seinfeld? LOL). So in my book Westerns for instance hold up quite well. Favorites? Hitchcock and Karloff's Thriller. Stories were usually "modern" but good tales make good watching. Saw 2 Kojack's recently. Couldn't believe the racial slurs!

All In The Family

The Andy Griffith Show

Hogan's Heroes

Green Acres

Just off of the top of my head!

{font:Times New Roman}Watching some old shows on *Westernsontheweb* last night I saw something you’d never see today with all the network rivalry. The show was Rory Calhoun’s *The Texan* which ran on CBS and was sponsored by Viceroy Cigarettes. At the end of the closing credits the picture went to a shot of 1958 New York City and a voiceover said “Be sure to watch Viceroy’s *Naked City* Tuesday nights on another network”. That network was ABC. Can you imagine that happening now? I know the cable stations do it all the time or plug the shows on the “Big 3” they might be in the same stable with but just because they share a sponsor? Okay, back then most shows had only one sponsor. And Calhoun did one of the ads in costume, do you remember “A thinking man’s filter and a smoking man’s taste?” I heard that three different times in a half-hour but they never did explain why the filter was so special.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Another little thing that I see on early *Gunsmoke* episodes or some *Dick Van Dyke Shows:* when they run the closing credits you see the sponsor’s product in the lower left corner. Do Remington shavers still look like they did in 1957? Those were the days! {font}

I love classic TV shows and think the performers who acted in them, many of them veterans of countless movies, others just finding their niche in the "vast wasteland", were as talented as any of their colleagues. It seems TCM Morlock Greg Ferrara agrees, saying in part:

"....Nevertheless, before the seventies, being in a sitcom set you in stone as an actor not to be taken seriously. And yet, when I watch these very sitcoms now, I see talent so immense I wish there was something more important than an Emmy we could hand out to let them know how much we appreciated their talents. "

Here! Here!

You can read Greg's article in its entirety here at TCM Morlocks:

http://tinyurl.com/6njfl8z

He mentions Buddy Ebsen's work and at the time I wasn't familiar with his movie history but knowing him as Jed Clampett and then following him on to Barnaby Jones was surprise enough,

In "I Dream of Jeannie" think of the people we know that made appearances there. I remember Barton MacLane played one of the bigshots. Whit Bissell had a role in "The Time Tunnel." George Tobias in "Bewtiched." And other supporting players scattered about the TV land (especially westerns.)

It was the reverse for me. It was watching old movies where I would say "I've seen that guy on TV." I certainly had no idea of their movie work.

Howdy, Chris!

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> He mentions Buddy Ebsen's work and at the time I wasn't familiar with his movie history but knowing him as Jed Clampett and then following him on to Barnaby Jones was surprise enough,

>

Me, too! I had no idea of his movie work when I was a kid watching Jed constantly trying to pour oil on troubled waters (no pun intended :) ) in "The Beverly Hillbillies". My mother really liked "Barnaby Jones" but I don't remember anything about the show except the intro. I think my first glimpse of him as a movie actor was the rather sad character he played in *Breakfast at Tiffany's*.

> In "I Dream of Jeannie" think of the people we know that made appearances there. I remember Barton MacLane played one of the bigshots. Whit Bissell had a role in "The Time Tunnel." George Tobias in "Bewtiched." And other supporting players scattered about the TV land (especially westerns.)

>

Spring Byington is Major Nelson's mom! Coming back to the show as a classic movie fan, this blew my mind. :D I would have had no clue growing up who she was.

Who knew Barton and George were in so many gazillions of movies? I think McClane's character on "I Dream of Jeannie" was called General Peterson. I know Doctor Bellows, played by another movie stalwart, Hayden Rorke, was always looking the fool before Peterson.

> It was the reverse for me. It was watching old movies where I would say "I've seen that guy on TV." I certainly had no idea of their movie work.

For the most part, that's true of me as well. Lionel Stander is first in my mind as "Max" the chauffeur in "Hart to Hart" and William Frawley will always be "Fred Mertz". :D

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> It was watching old movies where I would say "I've seen that guy on TV." I certainly had no idea of their movie work.

It is the reverse for me. I know little of television shows here. I am currently watching Perry Mason each day and I recognize many movie stars in guest roles.

{font:Calibri}TRUTH IN ADVERTISNG ALERT!{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Encore Westerns claims they are having a *Cheyenne* marathon of “the best 31 episodes” starting tomorrow night. From this you would think they are drawing from the whole 7 years and such episodes as The Dark Rider. The promo they’re running shows clips from episode #5, The Travelers to make this seem what’s happening.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Not so. They’re only running all the last two seasons in order which has some good ones but not as many as the other five. I just wanted you all to know the truth in case you were thinking of checking it out. I want to see Dark Decision as this is the one where Diane Brewster gets to sing-and does it very well-but there are a lot of others that are not running like The Long Winter, War Party and Born to Kill. Foul Ball!{font}

If they still have the rights to "Cheyenne" I wish they'd still show them regularly. (Unless they're getting them back.) I like the 30 minute "Gunsmoke" episodes but they've been running the usual 60 minute shows for a long time. It wouldn't hurt to swap them out.

If you get Retroplex or RetroHD they run *Cheyenne* Saturday nights at 8:00. They're midway through Season 2 now.

I do. I had seen listings but frankly couldn't remember when it was on. Currently my OnDemand is chock full of "Have Gun Will Travel" and "Rawhide."