MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}I do. I had seen listings but frankly couldn't remember when it was on. Currently my OnDemand is chock full of "Have Gun Will Travel" and "Rawhide."

It's too late anyway. They're replaced *Cheyenne* with *Lawman* as of next Saturday night. I'm ticked off because the next episode was War Party with Angie Dickinson and James Garner-playing the evil villain for once. They seem to run a different WB Western every six months or so; before *Cheyenne* they did the first season of *Maverick* for six months.

wouldbstar, i've noticed several channels do that when they have a marathon for a series...they simply play a select few episodes over and over instead of as many different ones as they can. i don't really understand why.

The upcoming July 4 SyFy *"Twilight Zone"* marathon is one I usually tune in for, even though I have many of them on DVD.

{font:Times New Roman}

> Miss Goddess wrote: The upcoming July 4 SyFy *"Twilight Zone"* marathon is one I usually tune in for, even though I have many of them on DVD.

Yikes! I forgot all about the *TZ* Marathon. I just checked it out and most of my favorite episodes are scheduled for that evening and night. I’m smoking ribs for my friends during the day so that works out fine. Thank you for the heads up. HAVE A SAFE HOLIDAY; that goes for everybody.{font}

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}If they still have the rights to "Cheyenne" I wish they'd still show them regularly. (Unless they're getting them back.) I like the 30 minute "Gunsmoke" episodes but they've been running the usual 60 minute shows for a long time. It wouldn't hurt to swap them out.

It looks like you may be getting your wish, in a way. They're going to be showing *Bonanza* in the 7:05 slot starting tonight while pushing back the Gunsmoke shows an hour. They advertise them as "lost episodes" but I don't know if that's true or not. It looks like they might be the ones after Pernell Roberts left the series, I didn't see his "Adam" in any of the ads.

Thank you for the bio and letting us know that what you saw was what you got-a nice man with convictions and honor. I had no idea he had GB Syndrome which makes him more amazing.

In addition to your picture Mongo posted one and three threads popped up when the news came he was gone. This shows the impact that he had on our culture. To those who groused about that; there are more serious things in the world to get upset about. The Web Administrator can always combine them.

The article said "he was ready to meet the Lord". I'm certain that was mutual. RIP, Sir.

{font:Times New Roman}From today’s Tampa Bay Times Obituaries:{font}

{font:Times New Roman}*Marion Cunningham*, 99, the California home cook chosen to revive The Fanny Farmer Cookbook in 1972 and who went on to become a food writer and cooking instructor revered by America’s greatest culinary talents, died of Alzheimer’s disease on Wednesday in Walnut Creek, Calif. A champion of the simple home-cooked meal, she wrote or collaborated on eight books.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}It sounds like our "Ms. C" from *Happy Days* had a real-life namesake and counterpart. I think they would have enjoyed each other. Another “believe it or not” tale that Ripley isn’t around for. {font}

I like Happy Days! Henry Winkler rocks as the Fonz!

I also like Little House On The Prairie!

I also like Alf and Full House!

:) Good morning! If you go to page 12-A of this morning's *Tampa Bay Times* you will find an article with pictures on Tony "Wally Cleaver" Dow's career as a sculptor. I knew he was a writer and director but this was news to me. He seems to have carved out a life of peace and creativity that so many in his position could not. I thought the rest of you *Leave It to Beaver* fans would be interested.

Mine favorite classic show of all time is The Avengers. Its really nice show to watch. I really enjoying watching this show. Its one of mine all time favorite shows.When ever i'm free i watch this show episodes on mine laptop.

lol! Wasn't there a character that had a real fixation on twinkies? Who was it? Was it one of the Laverne and Shirley characters? Or a cartoon character? Oh, now this is going to drive me batty.

Myself, I'm a chocolate cup-cake fan, so this news is rather distressing. Or good for my waistline since I'm forever avoiding them anyway.

{font:}

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}Archie is distressed about the Twinkie situation.

>

> Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 17, 2012 2:17 AM

My favorite snack was the “French Pastry”, an oval yellow cake with a vanilla crème center and dark chocolate covering. They disappeared in the 70s and ‘Ding Dongs” just weren’t the same. I hope somebody else buys “Twinkies” for those of you who love them but if not I know how you all feel.

{font}

Hmm, I don't think there was any cartoon character obsessed with Twinkies and have to admit I've only seen about ten minutes of Laverne and Shirley when it first aired. (didn't they live in a hideous basement apartment?) I think only Archie Bunker was the true devotee.

Isn't it interesting how cupcakes have become so chic now, lol? There seems to be at least one store located in every "hip" downtown section of every city in the United States devoted to them, with names liked "Sprinkle", "Cream", etc.

(I'd like to see one called "Hydrogenated" or "Oil", but of course these new upscale reincarnations are all homemade)

wouldbestar, I never heard of that French Pastry! I wonder if it was inspired by the Julia Child revolution in the '60's, lol.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 18, 2012 2:09 PM

There must be a recipe for making Twinkies without the chemicals. But aren't the chemicals what gave those snacks their flavor? :D

Those cup-cake places are dotted all over anorexic Manhattan. Who is eating them, I'm not sure. I see lots of skinny people in them and I can only imagine what they do to "make up" for the sin of eating a cupcake.

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> There must be a recipe for making Twinkies without the chemicals.

I posted in the Favorite Recipes thread three links to online recipes for ersatz replacements for those who need to wean themself off of their Twinkies habit.

> But aren't the chemicals what gave those snacks their flavor? :D

I am sorry to say that I found them to have little flavor of any kind.

> Those cup-cake places are dotted all over anorexic Manhattan. Who is eating them, I'm not sure. I see lots of skinny people in them and I can only imagine what they do to "make up" for the sin of eating a cupcake.

Perhaps they need to discover bublyky. They must be healthy because I have never heard of a good Cossack dying from a thing he ate! :)

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> > There must be a recipe for making Twinkies without the chemicals. I posted in the Favorite Recipes thread three links to online recipes for ersatz replacements for those who need to wean themself off of their Twinkies habit.

>

Myself, I never liked them. I do not tend to like overmuch any desserts that are not chocolate. "White" (creamy) desserts are my least favorite.

> > But aren't the chemicals what gave those snacks their flavor? :D

> I am sorry to say that I found them to have little flavor of any kind.

>

:D That's doubtless because your palette was never ruined the way we Americans' are by all the chemicals, salts and massive amounts of sugar in our processed foods. I believe it literally ruins the ability to distinguish subtleties in flavors.

> > Those cup-cake places are dotted all over anorexic Manhattan. Who is eating them, I'm not sure. I see lots of skinny people in them and I can only imagine what they do to "make up" for the sin of eating a cupcake.

>>>Perhaps they need to discover bublyky. They must be healthy because I have never heard of a good Cossack dying from a thing he ate! :)

What is in it? And so many rather die here in Manhattan than gain weight, believe me! I just went out for a bit of marketing and saw what looked like a girl around 10 years old (maybe she was older) who would make a war crimes victim look the picture of health. I was truly frightened by her appearance.

It is sad to say there are far greater horrors in the cupcake world. Emma Thomas aka Miss Cakehead created anatomically correct icing to depict venereal diseases. They have been nicknamed: "clapcakes". I will not post an image because they are disturbing but here is a link to an article with images:

[ http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4604750/std-cupcakes.html]

Here are some cute cupcakes:

http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2009/03/31/21-unusual-and-creative-cupcake-designs/

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}lol! Wasn't there a character that had a real fixation on twinkies? Who was it? Was it one of the Laverne and Shirley characters? Or a cartoon character? Oh, now this is going to drive me batty.

>

In the Zippy the Pin Head comic strip, Zippy is obsessed with Ding Dongs.

Oh...my...stars...I need to get those things out of my mind! Ah, those quirky Brits, lol. Probably only in England would you have "diseased" cupcakes showcased at a pathology museum. I'm visualizing Peter Sellers as Dr. Pratt from THE WRONX BOX conducting a personal tour of this exhibit.

Whew, I'm relieved to see the variety of adorable ones -- I love the poodles.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 19, 2012 11:53 AM