MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

Hahahahahaha!! Misty water-colored memories.....

Why can I imagine beloved Buffalo Bob turning into Lonesome Rhodes when the cameras stopped rolling? "What parent buys this CRAP for their kids? When I was a boy in Riddle, we had REAL desserts!

ha haaaa! I bet you're right...and I bet he's right! :D

by way of being totally off topic (though classic tv related), you have to see this Kraft Suspense Theater episode (directed by Robert Altman) if only to enjoy the crazy contrast between the dark, starly noirish program interrupted by its original commercials---in all their, bright and perky glory. It's quite interesting.

"Once Upon a Savage Night"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhvTVB19hE&feature=BFa&list=PL389D66A954008E6D

Wow, Miss G., what a riveting episode!! And just when we're getting into the grisly and psychological suspense -- "meatballs covered with delicious Kraft Velveeta!" et. al. I have NEVER seen Philip Abbott in this kind of role before! Lots of creepy touches -- Georgie ordering fat-free milk, the highway fire reflected in his sunglasses, and most impressively, the murder at the strip club, which anticipates Hitchcock's FRENZY by about eight years. I wonder if Altman was a fan of the Master. Thanks for uploading this. The only Kraft episode I vaguely remember seeing in the '60's is the one with Peter Lorre and I think Boris Karloff called something like "Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing". Or maybe that was a different program entirely.

Isn't it cool and kind of unsettling, isn't it? I thought it was well done, even without the commercials, lol. I've found quite a few very interesting episodes of this series at this Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GR160289?feature=watch

They also have several other vintage TV series, including "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour".

Ooooh, thanks for those oldies but goodies, Goddess -- more stuff to enjoy over the holiday weekend! I saw all these programs when they originally aired, but of course memory is not serving me well with a lot of them. Which segues into:

It seems I confused the "Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing" episode -- it's from Route 66, not Kraft.

Are you kidding? You have an unbelievable recall of movies and TV shows. I'm the one who needs a Ginko-injection! I never remember half of what I saw the night before. :D

"Route 66" is on Me-TV on Sunday nights, I think, but it's been too late for me to catch it. I saw a few episodes way back when TV Land used to show those oldie. I remember "Kookie" and the theme music ("snap! snap!"), ha. And wasn't Efram Zimbalist, jr. on that, too?

I didn't realize that one of my favorites, Martin Milner, was on that show. I must have been watching something else. See what I mean about my memory, ha?!

2004257714.jpg

I probably remember more of the "oldies" than what I had for dinner the night before, which frightens me, lol. To paraphrase Spence after his first transition into Hyde: "Can THIS be old age, then?" Eeeeek!!

Efrem and "Kookie" were on "77 Sunset Strip" (snap snap!)

I loved all those Warner t.v. shows. My favorites were "Hawaiian Eye" and "Surfside 6". I also loved "Hong Kong" (beautiful theme music) with Rod Taylor.

lol, you only needed 11 more numbers! I've been perusing those '60's t.v. theme songs on YouTube as well. Some of the shows I never heard of, like for instance, The Weire Brothers. Weren't they a comedy team like the Ritz's in the '30's and '40's? Who knew they had a sitcom? I certainly didn't. I think "Hong Kong" was only on for one season or so; I don't think it lasted very long. Lloyd Bochner seemed to be everywhere in those days, ha! I enjoyed J.Carroll Naish as an "Indian" in "Guestward Ho". That show fed my cowgirl fantasies; I wanted to open up a dude ranch. This was further fueled by "Spin and Marty".

I'm in heaven, look what I found, for goodness sake! Lionel Newman's complete score for "Hong Kong"! I had no idea it was so swingin'! (Even though I prefer the more sweeping and romantic "Asian" chords, which is what attracted me to the music in the first place)

And yes, shows were much more varied and imaginative back in the day. I can't tell you how much I miss them...

Groovy, for goodness sake! :D I never paid attention to the music before, it IS swingin'! You can see the show at this channel:

> And yes, shows were much more varied and imaginative back in the day. I can't tell you how much I miss them... At least so many of them are reappearing. I'm LOVING discovering 'new' old favorites.

>I've been perusing those '60's t.v. theme songs on YouTube as well.

They had some super one. My all time favorite, which I admit I love to vacuum to:

> Some of the shows I never heard of, like for instance, The Weire Brothers. Weren't they a comedy team like the Ritz's in the '30's and '40's? Who knew they had a sitcom? I certainly didn't.

Gosh, I certainly never heard of them or their show.

> Lloyd Bochner seemed to be everywhere in those days, ha!

Yes! I didn't finally connect a name to his face until he died and the obits came out.

> I enjoyed J.Carroll Naish as an "Indian" in "Guestward Ho". That show fed my cowgirl fantasies; I wanted to open up a dude ranch. This was further fueled by "Spin and Marty".

I never heard of "Guestward Ho", but it sounds fun and I'd still like to own a dude ranch, or marry a dude with a nice ranch. I've never seen "Spin and Marty" though I'd love to if only for Harry Carey, jr.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}I enjoyed J.Carroll Naish as an "Indian" in "Guestward Ho". That show fed my cowgirl fantasies; I wanted to open up a dude ranch. This was further fueled by "Spin and Marty".

There was a delightful episode where the transplanted Easterners end up having roast beef for Thanksgiving dinner instead of turkey which was appropriate since they were now Westerners. My roommate did not like turkey so I did this myself on occasion. I never understood why this show failed as the dialogue was witty and Mr. Naish was a riot as a savvy Indian.

Hawaii Five-O had a terrific theme. I was never that crazy about Jack Lord, though, lol, but waited for the moments when handsome Richard Denning popped up as Governor.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2012 2:17 PM

Oh my goodness, Goddess, THANK YOU for the Classic TV link for the "Hong Kong" shows!! I'd been looking for them so long yet never hooked into the right "nostalgia" channel. You're BRILLIANT!

wouldbestar, I was pretty young (well, okay, not THAT young) when "Guestward Ho" first aired, but even then I appreciated a certain Kennedy-era hipness to it, like with Dick Van Dyke. Naish is one of my favorite character actors (except in HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, lol) and he was indeed a lot of fun here.

Pat Crowley (didn't she also do the t.v. version of "Please Don't Eat The Daisies?") was very pleasant, and I had a mild crush on Mark Miller as her husband.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2012 2:12 PM

Oh, no! Now I remember -- It was Joanne Dru as Mark Miller's wife in "Guestward Ho". Mark was Pat Crowley's hubbie on "Please Don't Eat The Daisies".

Miss G., there's my "great" memory for you!

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2012 2:15 PM

I liked the following classic tv shows:

All in the Family - funniest show

I Love Lucy - I can never tire of watching this, and it's one of the most hysterical shows.

The Honeymooners - great show

Little House on the Praire

COMBAT! - best, most realistic show of the 1960's - and watching that sexy swagger of Sargeant Saunders, played by Vic Morrow, made the show even better.

Hi, newclassic. "I Love Lucy" and Twinkies -- they'll last forever! I remember when "All In The Family" first aired. Carroll O'Connor WAS Archie Bunker -- he really nailed that character. I love "The Honeymooners". For me, it's still the best "sitcom" ever made. That set was almost existential, lol. "Little House On The Prairie" was not my cup of tea. I never saw "Combat"; it was a guy thing.

By the way, our program director at work looks just like Carroll O'Connor. But at least he doesn't call any of us "dingbats". (he probably thinks it, though)

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2012 8:37 PM

Hi Bronxgirl. I think I Love Lucy was the best comedy/sitcom ever made. The Honeymooner were good, but I think I Love Lucy was even funnier. I thought All in the Family was hysterical too. I also liked the Jeffersons. Also, I thought Carroll O'Connor was a nice looking guy. Combat tv show appealed to men and women. I remember plenty of females loved to watch that show as well - and the men really liked it a lot. That was a terrific show. I never tire of watching it.

> {quote:title=Bronxgirl48 wrote:}{quote}Harry and the boys:

>

>

>

> Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 24, 2012 2:16 PM

>

Thanks for that link, they're so cute. Man, what an innocent time it was. Un-believable.

Jack's an acquired taste, ha. I enjoy him as the character since he made it his own (what a gig---a great role AND you get to live and work in Hawaii), but he seems kind of too uptight and in-your-face to be all that likable. He reminds me of Chuck Connors in that respect, though Chuck seems friendlier. :D

And your memory is just fine.

What was the show that was a kind of take-off of "The Thin Man" formula? Was it "Mr and Mrs. North"? With that skinny brunette actress, I never remember her name, only that she had somewhat chiselled cheekbones and was rail thin, a la Mary Tyler Moore, lol. I saw an episode on DVD a long time ago and though it was underwhelming, I might see if it's online and give it another chance.

That formula worked much better with "Hart to Hart". And speaking of, this weekend on "It Takes A Thief", the guest star was Stefanie Powers and the plot was a disastrous date with Bob, ha haaa! It was like seeing Mr. and Mrs. Hart during their courtship. I keep waiting for Nat to show up in a cameo. :)

I actually told my boss he looked like Archie Bunker, and he started singing, "Boy the way Glenn Miller played...."

It's good to know the people you work for have a sense of humor, lol.

Yes, Phyliss Kirk (paired with Richard Denning) in Mr. and Mrs. North. I think she was actually called "Nora". An interesting face, lol.

t.php?id=1430

I don't remember that show at all, or if she and Dick had any chemistry. Bob and Steph definitely did in Hart To Hart, although I didn't watch it regularly.

Wait a minute, I'm confused as heck.

Phyliss Kirk DID play Nora -- but in The Thin Man television version! Peter Lawford was Nick. Richard Denning's co-star in Mr. and Mrs. North was Barbara Britton.

My head is hurting, lol.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Nov 29, 2012 7:48 PM