MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

You wrote: I don't remember that show at all, or if she and Dick had any chemistry. Bob and Steph definitely did in Hart To Hart, although I didn't watch it regularly.

Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk had so much chemistry on *The Thin Man* that many folks thought they were really married. This was while he was married to Patricia Kennedy and JFK was running for President.

I remember seeing a few episodes of *Mr. and Mrs. North* but I was pretty young back then and usually wasn't allowed to be up the time it was on. I did think Richard Denning was handsome which was about all a seven year old could appreciate.

Now I understand...they actually named the series "The Thin Man" and "Mr. and Mrs. North" was something else entirely. I'll have to look into them both!

And thanks for pointing out it's Phyllis Kirk I was thinking of.

Thanks to a new channel, MeTV, I've been watching many shows I've never even heard of before. My favorite of the new bunch is definitely THE ROCKFORD FILES because, hey, Jimmy Garner.

I'm addicted to MeTV. :D

Re: Rockford. My favorite part just may be his answering machine:

Edited by: MissGoddess on Nov 30, 2012 7:12 PM

Me, too, Miss Goddess. I want my MeTV! But I am not a fan of some of the advertisements, so I hit the mute button, and keep writing, reading, or grading.

A change in providers has brought us AntennaTV. It is mostly all old television shows such as: "Adam-12" and "The Monkees" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". They show also classic movies during early mornings but they have commercials within them.

*MeTV* has had a couple of the color *Wagon Train* episodes on tody. You get Robert Fuller and Scott Miller which is a Western version of *Lawrence of Arabia.* My soft spot is Fuller. From 6 to 8 they have some *Jeannie* shows in tribute to Larry Hagman.

They seem to have quite a library of unseen shows. As much as I like some of the ones they run now it might be time to give them a rest and put some of these others in rotation. I'd love to see more *Millionaire* or Dick Van Dyke's second sitcom episodes for instance.

I switch back and forth between MeTV and AntennaTV. I really enjoy the "It Takes a Thief" episodes on Antenna Saturday nights. I never saw it before. They also have Jack Benny and George Burns on Fridays.

I am afraid you will think little of me but I particularly like AntennaTV because it shows also The Benny Hill Show. I do not know why his kind of humor touches me so but I find myself laughing at things so inane that no one else would dare present it.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}How nice to Lucy and Harpo.

>

i can't remember seeing harpo in color, before.

> Gee, Jack only had 18 lost episodes.

i can't wait to see the ones with coop and john wayne.

I think I saw Harpo in a home movie that was in color. I don't recall any of his "work" ever being in color. I don't remember anything that bright though.

I LOVE Kolchak the Night Stalker, brilliant tv program. I can't belive it only lasted for one SEASON !!! But anyway, very cleaver TV show.

Thank you for those color *I Love Lucy* photos, especially from the Scotland episode. Was that wine vat picture from the show? Lucy's about to have a "wardrobe malfunction" on the left and that would have been a shock for 1950s audiences.

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman}If you watched *Lou Grant* you will remember Billie Newman, the intrepid redheaded reporter played by Linda Kelsey. I’ve suspected for some time that she was based on Billee Newman, a longtime respected Florida journalist, redhead, and classmate of mine. Last week at my reunion I asked her and she said that she’d worked with one of the show’s consultants and it was possible although she’s too modest to say definitely. If so, a better role model could not be found. She still has conviction and courage.{font}

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman} {font}{color:black}{font:Times New Roman}P. S. If you’re fans of another classmate, Rita Coolidge, she made it there too. I felt in pretty rare company last Saturday night. {font}

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{color:black}{font:Times New Roman} {font}{font:}

{font}{font:}{font}

I recently got possession of a DVD set of the *F Troop* series. I originally saw the show as a kid. Very politically incorrect today I guess but all done in fun. One of the many 60's "military series" comedies. A cross of John Ford cavalry and the Keystone cops. Great slapstick, lots of period guest stars, lots of stunt work (saloon fights, falling off horses, and the classic guy falling out of the watchtower after the cannon misfires and shoot the tower down. I've been watching a few of the shows on the odd nights. I also still catch the occasional WKRP In Cincinnati episode on Antenna TV, brings back "Bailey" memories ;) .

Is anybody besides me planning to watch the live version of *The Sound of Music* tonight? Classic meets current for the first time since George Clooney kept pushing live programing in the early 90's or so.

Folks, this was TV in the post-war years and into the end of the 50's. Most of it came out of NYC which, I think, is why stage actors warmed up to it when film stars would not or were not allowed to. Actors went from soaps to prime time to Broadway-on or off-and when they got Tony nominations we knew who they were. While there was plenty of drama variety specials were also all over the place.

As for Oklahoman Carrie Underwood playing Austrian Maria, Mary Martin did it on Broadway and British Julie Andrews on film both to raves. I heard the Broadcast cast album in music class but was more interested in Marion Marlowe's playing "The Countess" than Ms. Martin as I knew her from the Arthur Godfrey Show.

Ms. Martin actually did two specials in one day. In the afternoon she starred in *Peter Pan* then that night did an adult musical special-both live. Here's hoping more history is made!

i saw most of it. very impressive considering it was a live performance.

the tweets at #TheSoundofMusicLive were mixed. snark and snobbery. lots of complaints about carrie's acting and comparisons to "the original" met with praise for her singing and reminders that this was a live performance of the stage production and not a new movie.

but something different and very enjoyable i thought.

I love Classic TV Shows-- probably as much as I love old movies; I grew up watching Nick at Night (back when they actually showed old shows); and I watched Nick at Night more often than I watched the contemporary shows of the time.

These are my favorites:

-I Love Lucy, my all time favorite

-The Mary Tyler Moore Show

-I Dream of Jeannie

-The Brady Bunch

-The Andy Griffith Show

-The Munsters

-Gidget

-The Lucy Show

You obviously have a preference for sitcoms, speed. Your list is a good one, and I remember watching most of them along with so many others when I was a kid. Judging by your comments, you are likely much younger than me. So it is really nice to see that there are fans in your generation that appreciate the shows that have in many respects been lost in time. It's unfortunate that many of the shows of the past are dismissed for a variety of reasons, even disavowed by some, who enjoyed them like I did when they were on originally, but are now too sophisticated to admit that they loved them then. I still consider the ones from your list and many others as "go to" entertainment when there is nothing else on. I own some of them on DVD, too.

It is a shame that Nick at Nite is not like it used to be. I don't know if your cable outlet has MeTV or Antenna, which show nothing but old reruns. I am not sure what the deal is, but these "networks" are syndicated, and are picked up with local stations. I have noticed that these have lots of old favorites, but also some others I had never seen in syndication before. Check your cable channels and see if you have it in your market.

Best wishes for your continued TV enjoyment, and future discoveries.