MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

I watched Nick at Night from the mid 90s when I was like 12 through whenever they started dropping my favorite shows and sending them over to TVLand.

I, too, own many of my favorites on DVD. I own the entirety of "I Love Lucy," "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour," "The Brady Bunch," "I Dream of Jeannie," "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," and "Gidget" on DVD. I own most of "The Andy Griffith Show" and "The Lucy Show," but I am missing a couple seasons of both. Right now, you can watch the entirety of "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "The Munsters," and "Leave it to Beaver" on Netflix.

These DVDs are awesome to pop in for background noise, or when you want to watch something not too involved or too serious.

I am aware of Antenna TV, Me TV, there's also another channel called THIS and another called Retro TV. When we had Comcast, I used to watch those channels pretty regularly. We have DISH now, so I don't have those channels.

I can't really watch "I Love Lucy" on TV, because the amount of editing in it drives me crazy. I'm so used to watching the uncut episodes on DVD and I know the episodes so well, that when I watch them in syndication and certain scenes and pieces of dialogue are missing, it is glaringly obvious and it bothers me. Watching them on DVD is the way to go.

I absolutely agree with you about the editing. Before complete series were available, the only place to see these shows were in reruns on local stations or Nick at Nite when it came into existence. Occasionally you would find a station that would include most of the original show including the final segment prior to the credits (example: the Andy Griffith epilogues). This was very rare, however. As you probably have noticed, most half hour sitcoms had at least 24 minutes of airtime minus commercials. For most of my childhood, stations aired about 21-22 minutes of show. I am not sure, but it seems like less than that now. That is a lot of entertainment lost, and since you watch the complete versions on DVD, you have noticed the obvious differences. When I am focused, and into the show, the DVD is the way to go as you so adeptly pointed out. However, as you alluded to, for background noise, or as others might equate to "comfort food", I don't mind switching over to MeTV or Antenna when nothing else is on.

I am very pleased to say that I have found the magic and wonderful Father / Son relationship of "The Rifleman!" I have had MeTV for awhile and never gave it a shot. One day, I came across "The Rifleman" and left it on because there was nothing else on. Much to mine and my wife's delight, we found a classic! This is almost Andy Griffith in the old west (except for Lucas actually using HIS gun!)

Now, I watch it every single day I can and enjoy each episode greatly! And the parade of guest stars even make it more interesting! It's a wonderfully done show!

I also watch The Rifleman most nights. It's also shown on Saturdays on another station I think. Love that show (always did) and yes, it seems that so many of the popular character actors of the '50's and '60's seem to show up on the show. I love the relationship between Chuck and Johnny Crawford. Well done tv show and a bit of trivia, if you look at the credits you'll see that wonderful, talented dancer Gene Nelson directed quite a few episodes :)

Probably the most underrated sitcom ever was "You'll Never Get Rich", also known as "Sergeant Bilko" or "The Phil Silvers Show". Nat Hiken was a genius.

The Classic 39 episodes of The Honeymooners are on

You Tube. According to the person who uploaded them, they

are in HD and that is why they look like they are in widescreen.

The quality is very good. "I call you killer because you slay

me." :)

Ralph's comeback line isn't bad, but I still like Alice's killer one.

I always remember that one, though I had forgotten what episode

it was from. It's all good.

I love the hilarious craziness of *CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU?* and *GREEN ACRES* ! They were really funny!

Edited by: JimAgain on Jan 8, 2014 1:43 PM

I'm a Rifleman fan, ever since the first run. Besides lots of good actors, including film actors, there were lots of great directors, including Sam Peckinpah. It was reputed to be Nikita Khrushchev's favorite show. He was premier of the USSR during its first run. Each one is a simple, hard-hitting, morality play.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Hello.. My name is Fred Mertz!! :D (tell me you didn't see THAT one coming from about a million miles away) :D:P HA!

And here I always used to joke with Jackie that she was Lucy and I was Ethel! :D Silly ME. Ha.

I can't believe it but I'm Lucy! I really didn't have any idea who I would turn out to be, but I was kind of leaning towards Ethel. Anyway, that was fun.

*Here are some of my favorite TV shows of all time:*

*1. The Simpsons*

*2. Batman*

*3. The X-Files*

*4. Bosom Buddies*

*5. The Dukes of Hazzard*

This is frightening. That is exactly five of my top six shows of all time. The only one missing is Three's Company. Mine are:

1. The Simpsons

2. Three's Company

3. Batman

4. The Dukes of Hazzard

5. Bosom Buddies

6. The X Files

7. Alfred Hitchcock Presents

8. Mystery Science Theater 3000

9. Police Squad!

10. The Phil Silvers Show

11. The Dick Van Dyke Show

12. The Muppet Show

13. The Baseball Bunch

14. Voyagers!

15. Mister Ed

16. Gunsmoke

17. Rawhide

18. The White Shadow

19. The Jeffersons

20. Sanford & Son

21. Mission: Impossible

22. The Twilight Zone

23. Home Run Derby

24. Twin Peaks

25. Futurama

"You're a homegirl and then some. You're a true friend, always offering unconditional support. If they ever need your help, you're ready to take on the world for them."

*starliteyes* -

good for you! i was sure i'd get "lucy" since i'm definitely always broke and in some kind of trouble or other, but i guess my bad temper sent me south (to Cuba) and so I'm a "Ricky". :D

*mr and mrs mertz* -

Ay yi yi yi yi!!

I think at the very least, the roles are reversed. Frank definitely would be too lazy to fix the leaky faucet and might not buy his wife a new dress more than once a decade! :D

*I think at the very least, the roles are reversed. Frank definitely would be too lazy to fix the leaky faucet and might not buy his wife a new dress more than once a decade! :D*

Ain't that the truth! Well, at least the first part. Maybe I could steal a dress within five years. :P

Sir Francis, good afternoon.

*Home Run Derby* That is a rare one. I saw a few of those on the MLB network a few years ago. Leave it for a show like that to show some of the great home run hitters were human. Sometimes there were some dumb interview questions too.

A couple of mine are on your list and there a few I don't know. Kudos for *Police Squad.*

_Hi, Movieman_ -- *Home Run Derby That is a rare one. I saw a few of those on the MLB network a few years ago. Leave it for a show like that to show some of the great home run hitters were human. Sometimes there were some dumb interview questions too.*

It's a slow-moving show and quite monotonous, but I just love seeing all the baseball greats from the 50s and early-60s. Mickey Mantle truly was a little boy.

*A couple of mine are on your list and there a few I don't know.*

I'd love to see a list of your all-time favorites. Maybe 20 of them? They don't have to be in order.

You can see my list is a mix of my childhood, then my late-20s, and now the classic shows that I've found since then. I don't watch any television shows anymore. I'm purely sports and classic film. The only television shows I'd watch would be on DVD.

*Kudos for Police Squad.*

Wow! I would not have guessed your liking that show. I always feel that ZAZ has a limited audience appeal.

this was my list when i started this thread:

1. The Dick Van Dyke Show

2. Alfred Hitchcock Presents

3. The Twilight Zone

4. The High Chaparral

5. That Girl

6. The Rifleman

7. Have Gun, Will Travel

8. Gunsmoke

9. The Mary Tyler Moore Show

10. I Love Lucy

_now_: