MissGoddess

Off Topic: Favorite Classic TV Shows?

1,074 posts in this topic

Lamby....eyelashes....lamby.....eyelashes.... :)

It's OK.... Mine looked like that, but it had a rubber sleeve instead of a cloth one. I'm backing away.....

Ha.

Check out Bronxie's picture again of Lamb Chop. Look at that cute little pink belly button.

Sigh What the heck ARE kids watching today???

Oh my gosh he's soooo cute!!!!!!

The only really fun shows I have found are cartoons - the Backyardigans, and Charlie and Lola. One is musical, and the other is just really funny in a very British way. Alice does like Tom and Jerry and Bugs Bunny, so there's hope.

sigh. I miss seriously believing in puppets.

>

> Sigh What the heck ARE kids watching today???

I can't even identify what they're watching. The resemble nothing human, animal or organically identifiable.

As a very young girl I loved The Loretta Young Show. Loretta worn such beautiful gowns, I loved to see her twirl.

Edited by: arlenemccarthy on Mar 28, 2010 5:55 PM

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> LambChop......LambChop.....LambChop....the eyelashes....the eyelashes...that face...that face....the eyelashes...that cute voice and little scrunched up face. < Sound familiar? >

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! George is my lambikins.

>

> Yes I certainly do remember those shows: ( "77 Sunset Strip", "Hawaiian Eye" and "Surfside 6?" ) and the announcer's voice.

Yeah, I loved the announcers in those days --- so rich, resonant -- ".....and Poncie Ponce!"

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Mar 28, 2010 6:01 PM

> {quote:title=primosprimos wrote:}{quote}

> I loved Lamb Chop and Shari Lewis!

>

> So did I. You mean WPIX, right Bronxgirl48? And of course the shows on WNEW.

Yep! Sandy Becker, Sonny Fox, Chuck McCann, The Merry Mailman,

Chiller Theatre, Zacherly, Soupy Sales, etc. etc.

>

> Interesting on Fractured Flickers, I don't remember that at all.

It brought back a flood of memories when Rich mentioned it.

>

> Who knew Rocky and Bullwinkle would look like Shakespeare next to American Idol a mere 50 years later?

Truer words were never spoken.

> I had a rubbery LambChop puppet when I was little, with white hair and a little pink face and drawn on eyelashes, but my mom got rid of it. I was heartbroken.

You know what's frightening to me? A lot of the old people in South Florida actually look like Lamb Chop now.

Great memories, Bronxgirl48. Also Captain Jack McCarthy, who sent me material on Popeye for a paper I did in college. Yeah, I know, a paper on Popeye! :)

Waaaaay back, I used to love Kukla, Fran and Ollie too.

I loved Popeye cartoons after school. In socal Tom (oh Lordy I can't remember his last name) Something hosted Popeye and would you believe my Mother ogled cute Tom in his tight t-shirt.

How about Beany and Cecil (The Seasick Sea Serpent) and Captain Huffenpuff and the Leakin' Lena...was that show nationwide or local LA?

Then there was Space Patrol w. Buzz Corey and Happy (was that the character's name?), I had rather a crush on Happy.

Sigh. What the heck ARE kids watching today???

"I can't even identify what they're watching. The resemble nothing human, animal or organically identifiable." - < MissGoddess >

Here we go again...puppets!

> {quote:title=primosprimos wrote:}{quote}

> Great memories, Bronxgirl48. Also Captain Jack McCarthy, who sent me material on Popeye for a paper I did in college. Yeah, I know, a paper on Popeye! :)

I remember Captain Jack. He had prematurely gray hair and looked very dashing. Handsome Irishman. (and a nice guy too from what you say)

>

> Waaaaay back, I used to love Kukla, Fran and Ollie too.

Me too. I was also barely a twinkle in my parent's eyes.

Early 1960s hunkorama. Now Wally was a hunk on his own, but when the competition

was Eddie and Lumpy, that can't hurt. Speaking of hunks, he had a strange verbal tic

on the show. He would ask for a hunk of cake, okay, and then ask for a hunk of milk,

huh? Always got a kick out of that.

Beany and Cecil. Brilliant show. Sailing, sailing...............

Diver Dan! And Clowny the fish.

Weird wild stuff. But who was more weird and wild than Max Fleischer, a man ahead of his time.

Wally, really? I liked Eddie, he was a lot more clever than Wally.

I never watched Andy's gang...Froggy scared the beegeezus out of me. Which channel was he on?

Eddie was the brains and Wally was the brawn. And hunky Wally always had more

success with the girls.

Can't forget the late great Claude Kirchner and...Clownie.

I remember the original "Time for Beany" , It was a puppet show with Stan Freberg as the voice of Cecil the sea-sick sea serpent and Dishonest John or D.J. and Daws Butler as Beany and Uncle Captain...

To arlenemccarthy: Hello, Arlene, and welcome. I too remember Mary Hartline from Super Circus. I had one of her ?magic dolls? which was a 1/8-inch-thick cardboard paper doll with a magnet imbedded inside. The clothes had thin magnetic strips on the back and made the costumes stick so you didn?t need tabs like you did for other paper dolls. If anybody doesn?t know what I?m talking about, ask your Mom or Grandma; they do.

Back in the late 70?s she was featured on a 60 Minutes episode. There was a big flack about domestic and other service workers needing a City ID card to be able to live and work in Palm Beach where she lived. She was the widow of some wealthy man and couldn?t understand why anybody with nothing to hide would object to being singled out just because they were working folk. She was in her seventies and still had that long white-blond hair but definitely could not fit into those majorette outfits we always saw her in. Thanks for the memories!