Sign in to follow this  
cody1949

WHAT IS THE OLDEST FILM WHERE 3 PROMINENT PERFORMERS ARE STILL ALIVE?

9 posts in this topic

Originally I thought of YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN : Douglas, Bacall, and Day. Then I thought of NATIONAL VELVET: Rooney,Taylor,and Lansbury [1944]. Can anyone come up with a film that's even older?

Depends on what you mean by prominent. *Gone With the Wind* (1939) still has Olivia de Havilland (Melanie Wilkes), Cammie Sue King (Bonnie Blue Butler), Alicia Rhett (India Wilkes), Ann Rutherford (Careen O'Hara) and Mickey Kuhn (Beau Wilkes) still surviving.

de Haviland qualifies and Rutherford should, but the rest did little else of note.

Not really. Except for Olivia de Havilland , the others were not prominent at all in the cast. I found a film from 1942 that has 3 prominent actors. ANDY HARDY'S DOUBLE LIFE with Mickey Rooney,Ann Rutherford,and Esther Williams.

That was my point about the meaning of "prominent". You discount Ann Rutherford in *Gone With The Wind*, but cite her in the Andy Hardy film. Does that mean that the role is prominent, the actor/actress, or a subtle combination of role and performer? Just wondering.

In a film like GWTW with such a massive cast, Ms. Rutherford's role was not very prominent.In ANDY HARDY'S DOUBLE LIFE, I am sure her part was much bigger as she was a regular in the series of films they made.

This might be cheating, but according to imdb, three of the child stars from THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER (1938) are still alive: Tommy Kelly, Ann Gillis, and Cora Sue Collins.