Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

"Crime Classics" on April 3rd

4 posts in this topic

TCM's prime time schedule for Saturday, April 3rd has some great crime/gangster movies:

*Bonnie and Clyde* (1967) 8pm ET

The legendary bank robbers run riot in the South of the 1930s.

Cast: Warren Beatty, Faye Dunaway, Michael J. Pollard, Gene Hackman Dir: Arthur Penn C-111 mins, TV-14

*Point Blank* (1967) 10pm ET

A gangster plots an elaborate revenge on the wife and partner who did him dirty.

Cast: Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson, Keenan Wynn, Carroll O'Connor Dir: John Boorman C-92 mins, TV-14

*The Friends Of Eddie Coyle* (1973) 11:45pm ET

An aging hood turns police informer, with deadly results.

Cast: Robert Mitchum, Richard Jordan, Steven Keats, Peter Boyle Dir: Peter Yates C-102 mins, TV-MA

*Serpico* (1973) 1:30am ET

A rookie risks his life going undercover to ferret out police corruption.

Cast: Al Pacino, Tony Roberts, John Randolph, Jack Kehoe Dir: Sidney Lumet C-130 mins, TV-MA

*Thieves Like Us* (1974) 3:45am ET

A young bank robber falls for an innocent girl and starts planning an escape from crime and the law.

Cast: Keith Carradine, Shelley Duvall, John Schuck, Bert Remsen Dir: Robert Altman C-123 mins, TV-MA

This brings to mind the afternoon my friend Jerry and I rode our bikes to see BONNIE AND CLYDE. We were only thirteen. But in 1967, there was no ratings system.

I've just read some comments on another thread, but as this one preceded it, I'll address them here. BONNIE AND CLYDE is a fine movie. Along with several other films from that very pivotal year, it changed, for good and bad, the way movies are made. Yes, the stars are glamorous. The violence stylish. But it's not a documentary. This is Hollywood.

What really impresses me are some lesser films in this genre that are, themselves, surprisingly effective. John Milius' DILLINGER is almost as good as Penn's film. It's similar to it, but a little more direct; less artsy. And the old Monogram picture of the same name has more atmosphere and character than you'd expect from a no budget programmer. It's not one of the great gangster films of that unforgettable era. But it's serious, intense and very interesting. This is a genre I like more than I thought I would.

Edited by: redriver on Apr 4, 2010 6:47 PM

I have never seen Milius Dillinger but I would definitely like to.

In fact I think the earlier version with Lawrence Tierney is still on my "to do" list, just one of those things where I wanted to save that for a "special" day but ended up almost forgetting about it.

As for Bonnie and Clyde, I really do envy you - you got to see it when it was brand new and the shock value of the ending was totally undiminished by time. I would like to think I can imagine how it would have felt right when the movie first came out, but I have seen so many other violent movies that it is probably impossible to really relive the experience of watching it for the first time in 1967.