sineaste

20th Century Vole Presents

1,241 posts in this topic

*WHERE'S WALDO LYDECKER?*

Whereswallylogo.jpg

In the much anticipated sequel to *Laura*, the sardonic gossip columnist evades the police in a variety of hiding places. He displays a propensity for the cabinets of large clocks and closets, especially if there are guns hidden in them. Freudians are expected to have a field day.

laura3.jpg

"You think what is hidden behind Laura's portrait?"

DOUBLE SCOOP INDEMNITY

A savvy insurance agent and a platinum blonde temptress decide to murder the blonde's husband by inducing him to consume too much ice cream. They calculate that if all goes well, by the end of the summer the husband will have consumed over 200 litres of ice cream, especially if they can persuade him to keep ordering double decker cones. This excess of sugar and fat will precipitate a heart attack in the unfortunate but greedy husband, and the agent and his no-good floozy of a girlfriend can collect on the insurance . The dame will encourage her husband to order peanut butter chocolate chip extra cream bonanza, his favourite flavour, just to make sure the heart attack is fatal.

1238093899_double-indemnity_1.jpg

"I figure only three more cones, and then the world is ours' ! "

Sequels to follow: *Double Entendre Indemnity*, in which a battle over the wording of insurance documents is bitterly fought, and *Double Date Indemnity*, a light-hearted rom com featuring shrewd insurance agents and their platinum blonde dates.

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 16, 2010 9:12 PM

Were they eventually found out, when ice cream was found on the crutch?

*Gone With The Wind and the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe*

Scarlett is so despondent after being rejected by Rhett that she journeys to Morocco. There, she is abducted and wooed by sheik Sean Connery. But, she still longs for Tara. One day, in the depths of the Palace, she finds an old wardrobe. She opens it, while thinking of Tara. She steps in, and is transported to Tara as it was before the war, but all the people are now animals.

Good one, Valentine. 3 Movie titles for the price of one. Maybe it's about time we hired an accountant to set up our new movie idea business $$$

IT'S A WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL LIFE

Mr. Potter (Lionel Barrymore) has a serious car accident. In his dying breath, he tells several witnesses, played by an all-star cast of legendary comics, that he buried $8,000 of stolen money under a Big W. This revelation sends the characters on a mad scramble through Bedford Falls for the money.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> Good one, Valentine. 3 Movie titles for the price of one. Maybe it's about time we hired an accountant to set up our new movie idea business $$$

Thank you, thank you!

12 Angry Men in Black Narcissus, and its sequel, were also three titles in one. I was thinking it might be fun to have a thread, or maybe do it here, where we see how many film titles we can string together. It could get quite long!

You're right, ValX, you'd already come up with a three for one. That's a fun idea, but still, I like this thread the way it is already, I think there's room for all sorts of variations (or maybe I just don't think I'd be able to come up with many three in ones ! )

I do not believe a brief synopsis could do justice to:

*Soak the Poor Little Rich Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number, Please Believe Me and the Colonel Effingham's Raid*

Soak the Poor (1937)

Poor Little Rich Boy (1932)

Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number! (1966)

Number, Please (1920)

Please Believe Me (1950)

Me and the Colonel (1958)

Colonel Effingham's Raid (1945)

Oh my goodness, SansFin, I can't beat that. You should get some kind of prize for integrating all those movies into one semi-plausible title. There should be one of those tv games about this, you'd win a million dollars!

*JEWELS AND JIM*

A jolly threesome decide to augment their romantic escapades by searching for treasure. They decide that if they find any, the money can go toward a trip for the three of them to Switzerland to continue their menage a trois in a cozy cabin in the mountains. If they find any jewels on their quest, Jeanne gets to bedeck herself with them whilst frolicking on her bicycle. Plans to encrust the chapeaux they all sport with rubies are ongoing.

julesetjim_450x300.jpg

"I'm sure if we dig deep enough we'll uncover at least a few diamonds.

And pearls...don't they live in oysters, or something?"

<ahttp://dignitas.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341f704253ef0120a9339e2a970b-800wi

height =400 width =350>

Hey Dad, how come you know where Betty O'Day's apartment is?

Rooney,%20Mickey%20%28Andy%20Hardy%20Meets%20Debutante%29_01.jpg

Gee Judy, this is a whole new kind of show. You bring

the sheet music and I'll bring the penicillin.

*Andy Hardy Gets VD Fever*

After his latest breakup with Polly. Andy finds himself in need of female companionship.

He visits the Carvel town bad girl, Betty O'Day. A few weeks later, Andy discovers he

has caught a social disease, and very, very slowly makes his way to Judge Hardy's study.

To string together titles is simple matter.

*O'Shaughnessy's Boy Meets Girl With Green Eyes In The Night of the Living Dead of Winter Meeting At Midnight Alibi for Murder by Death Takes a Holiday From Rules of the Game Warden*

I do not know how plausible it is. Parts of it make sense:

*O'Shaughnessy's Boy Meets Girl With Green Eyes In The Night* is tale of Irish lad introduced to lovely young lady when he stays out past curfew.

*Death Takes a Holiday From Rules of the Game Warden* is powerful spirit hunting even though season is not yet open.

O'Shaughnessy's Boy (1935)

Boy Meets Girl (1938)

Girl With Green Eyes (1964)

Eyes In The Night (1942)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Dead of Winter (1987)

Winter Meeting (1948)

Meeting At Midnight (1944)

Midnight Alibi (1934)

Alibi for Murder (1936)

Murder by Death (1976)

Death Takes a Holiday (1934)

Holiday From Rules (1959)

Rules of the Game (1939)

Game Warden (1955)

SansFin, I'm impressed! 15 titles strung together! I'm also intimidated - I thought I would try to string together 6 or 8, but I doubt I could equal 15.

To string many together is easy. To have result make sense is hard. What I have been doing is mechanical. What others have been doing is creative.

Well, I think I, and others, have tried to be creative, so thank you for that!

Calling making long strings "mechanical" caused me to think that a computer, with say, the IMDb database of movies, might make a string pf a few thousand! Yow!

I have use of database capuchin made for entering schedule challenges. It has 16,682 titles. It is all movies shown on TCM in last five years and all movie in libraries for RKO, WB, MGM and other studios which can be used in challenge. To make long list: I start with random movie which has common last word. I scroll down to see how many movie titles start with that word. If there are many I copy first title to notepad and continue from there in same way. There are times I hit blank and have to delete back to place with many movies to chose from.

It is very mechanical process. I asked capuchin to write program to do search and add times together so it finds title sequences to fit all time slots so challenge entry for whole week could be one long one-after-another. He said no because he would not do work for my challenge entry and there is no way to do themes required by challenge setter. He is so infuriating when he is right.

I did one which folds back on itself - first movie is also last:

*Breakfast For Two Boobs in a Balloon Land of the Midnight Fun & Fancy Free And Easy To Love and the Devil Times Five Miles to Midnight Mystery House Of Dark Shadows of the Night Into Morning Judge Hardy's Children Of Paradise For Three Little Pirates Of The Prairie Thunder in the City Without Men Of The Fighting Lady Of Vengeance of the Zombies On Broadway Ladies They Talk About Face to Face of a Fugitive in the Sky Murder on a Honeymoon For Three for Breakfast For Two*

There are cute parts:

Breakfast For Two Boobs in a Balloon

Land of the Midnight Fun & Fancy Free

Five Miles to Midnight Mystery House

Judge Hardy's Children Of Paradise

Paradise For Three Little Pirates Of The Prairie

Breakfast For Two (1937 ), Two Boobs in a Balloon (1935 ), Balloon Land (1935 ), Land of the Midnight Fun (1939 ), Fun & Fancy Free (1947 ), Free And Easy (1941 ), Easy To Love (1933 ), Love and the Devil (1929 ), Devil Times Five (1974 ), Five Miles to Midnight (1963 ), Midnight Mystery (1930 ), Mystery House (1938 ), House Of Dark Shadows (1970 ), Shadows of the Night (1928 ), Night Into Morning (1951 ), Morning Judge (1937 ), Judge Hardy's Children (1938 ), Children Of Paradise (1945 ), Paradise For Three (1938 ), Three Little Pirates (1946 ), Pirates Of The Prairie (1942 ), Prairie Thunder (1937 ), Thunder in the City (1937 ), City Without Men (1943 ), Men Of The Fighting Lady (1954 ), Lady Of Vengeance (1957 ), Vengence of the Zombies (1973) ), Zombies On Broadway (1945 ), Broadway Ladies (1928 ), Ladies They Talk About (1933 ), About Face (1942 ), Face to Face (1952 ), Face of a Fugitive (1959 ), Fugitive in the Sky (1937 ), Sky Murder (1940 ), Murder on a Honeymoon (1935 ), Honeymoon For Three (1941 ), Three for Breakfast (1948 ), Breakfast For Two (1937 )

Vengeance of the Zombies on Broadway Ladies, and

Sky Murder on a Honeymoon for Three are pretty cute, too.

I'm tempted to try and write synopses, but I'm not familiar with all of the films.

I am a bit less in awe, knowing that you are using a computer and a database. But still, nice job, coming full circle, with one title!

WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA MAYO?

An endlessly bickering couple invite the former starlet Virginia Mayo to their place for drinks, with the intent of using her as an excuse to continue their ongoing marital battles. Mayo is puzzled when they continually refer to her as their "daughter", especially as she is clearly older than they are. When they serve her cheesecake topped with mayonaise instead of the cocktail she was expecting, Virginia Mayo looses her cool and pulls a gun on the couple. She threatens to shoot their copy of *To the Lighthouse* and their entire collection of Edward Albee plays unless they stop mocking her and put the mayonaisse back in the fridge. The couple accede to her demands, and a chastened trio collapse, exhausted after their melodramatic efforts, and fall into a drunken sleep from which only James Cagney will be able to awaken them.

mayo67.jpg

I tell you I've had it with people making dumb jokes

about my name ! Now put that mayonaisse back in

the fridge before it develops food poisoning."

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 22, 2010 10:53 AM

Edited by: misswonderly on Aug 22, 2010 10:54 AM

Img107.bmp

-Wow, Driftwoody, check out Annette's mushroom clouds!

-Yeah, far out man, but I'm really diggin' this radiation thing, daddy.

It's so righteous.

*On the Beach Blanket Bingo*

A angst ridden group awaits the possibility of the end of the world Down Under.

Suddenly, by means of a nuclear induced surf hole, Frankie, Annette, Driftwoody

and the rest of the gang pop up on the beach. After a few days of their crazy

music and inane chatter, the glum-faced folk get tired of the kids, and next morning

only Frankie's tube of greasy teenage idol's stuff and an empty jar of Jif are to be found.

(Hold the Mayo).

> {quote:title=ValentineXavier wrote:}{quote}

>

> I am a bit less in awe, knowing that you are using a computer and a database.

I know of many classic movies but I could never hope to keep in my head enough titles to make list of more than two or three. I would be in awe of anyone who could connect more than four or five without having lists of titles.

*Mourning Becomes Electa Glide in Blue Hawaii* Robert Blake investigates Michael Redgrave's suicide note but Rosalind Russell wanting to make him her new love interest and Elvis Presley's singing drives him back to safe, quiet desert.

> {quote:title=SansFin wrote:}{quote}

>

> *Mourning Becomes Electa Glide in Blue Hawaii* Robert Blake investigates Michael Redgrave's suicide note but Rosalind Russell wanting to make him her new love interest and Elvis Presley's singing drives him back to safe, quiet desert.

Ooh! I like that title! But, I'm going for a spoonerism, and a pun, this time.

*The Lying Feathernecks*

A squadron of disgruntled and cowardly Marine aviators refuse to engage the enemy, but claim they did, upon return from their missions. So, The Duke is sent in to straighten them out.

*Two Mules for Sinister Sara*

A Voodoo priestess, pretending to be a nun, searches for two mules she needs to perform a ritual to conjure up a demonic gunfighter to help the Juaristias drive the French from Mexico.

ODD MAN OUTED

A member of the IRA is pursued by the police when he confides his sexual orientation to a British soldier to whom he is attracted. Although the soldier returns his feelings, he feels compelled to report the rebel to his commanding officer, who orders a man hunt for the closeted IRA activist. The authorities are convinced that Ireland will be a safer place if they can capture the rebel and "re-programme" him.

Odd[iMan[/i]Out+2.jpg]

"If only I could break out of this closet I'm in,

I know my fellow Irish would understand."

Edited by: misswonderly on Sep 2, 2010 7:15 PM