Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Your favorite stars from the SOUTH?

21 posts in this topic

I'm trying to come up with a comprehensive list of all major Hollywood stars who were born in the South.

The first ones that came to mind were Cyd Charisse and Joan Crawford (Texas) and Ben Johnson (Oklahoma).

Can anyone think of other major stars who were born in the South?

Joanne Woodward

Lawrence Fishburne } Georgia

Charles Colburn

Rosemary and George Clooney

Johnny Depp } Kentucky

Katherine Greyson-No. Carolina

Tallulah Bankhead } Alabama

Nell Carter }

Morgan Freeman - Tenn.

James Earl Jones

Sela Ward ] Ky

Ray Walston

Just a few from the Ol South

Edited by: fredbaetz on Apr 3, 2010 11:49 AM

fred came up with some good ones.

But what about Ginger?

Ginger Rogers was born in Missouri but considered Texas her home state. She lived in Fort Worth from the age of 9 until she graduated from high school.

Years later, when she died, she made substantial donations to one of Texas' universities.

MBF- A few others from the "Show-Me-State" : Jean Harlow, Don Cheadle, Betty Grable,John Goodman,Kevin Kline...Also Frank and Jesse James { the real one} and Calamity Jane , so many movies have been made about them they deserve "Honorable Mention"

Interestingly, baby Jean Harlow made a film, written by Anita Loos, called THE GIRL FROM MISSOURI. I haven't seen it yet. I wonder if it contains semi-biographical elements about Harlow's background...?

Viven Leigh! ;)

Just kidding, just kidding!

Anyways how about *Miriam Hopkins* she was from Georgia.

edit: Just realized I missed an "i" in Vivien's name woops.

I live in Kansas City, and this is the first time in my entire life I've ever heard of KC being referred to as the south.

Are you guys all Canadians are something? :)

I have heard of parts of Missouri being referred to as the south. I think it falls in both categories, the midwest (the part nearest Illinois) and the south (the part nearest Oklahoma). Oklahoma is another in-between state, since I've heard it referred to as part of the midwest and part of the south, as well.

You stiring up more trouble? Hey, just joking. With regards to what is the south: Well there is the 'deep south' and then just 'the south'.

But I wouldn't say the Show Me State is part of the south, but instead the mid-west. Of course mid-west is a bogus term to use today but 100 years or so ago anything west of the Mississippi was considered to be 'west'. To me Mid-west is Colorado but I live in CA! (or is CA not part of the West but the Pacific region???).

> {quote:title=Kinokima wrote:}{quote}

> Viven Leigh! ;)

>

> Just kidding, just kidding!

>

LOL! :D

I have to confess, I know she's British, and yet I think "Southern Belle" and, sure enough, she still manages to pop in my head somehow.

As Leigh's husband, Olivier, might of said to Dustin Hoffman; It is called acting.

i.e. a great actor can play many roles. I believe what Olivier really said to Dustin when Dustin said he had to get his mind ready to play a role 'why don't you just try acting'.

A couple more to add to the list of Southerners:

Gale Storm

Dennis Quaid

Faye Dunaway

Julia Roberts

Andie MacDowell

Terrence.

I just thought of another few:

Elvis Presley (Tupelo, Mississippi)

Alan Ladd (Hot Springs, Arkansas)

Van Heflin (Walters, Oklahoma)

Warren Beatty & Shirley MacLaine (Richmond, Virginia)

Debbie Reynolds (El Paso, Texas)

Vera Miles (Oklahoma)

Rip Torn (Temple, TX)

Oliver Norville Hardy (born Norville Hardy, Oliver was his father's name) from Georgia

Billy Bob Thornton is from Hot Springs. Ark. having lived there, I know they consider themselves Southerners.

I am an Okie, or Oklahoman, and I like to think we are from the West, the Midwest, and the South!

Maybe they were born there, but they definitely spent most of their early years in Arlington. (They gradusted from Washington & Lee H.S.). Only reason it's relevant is that the DC suburbs are not considered the South (hair-splitting at its best)