Sign in to follow this  
SWF

New DVDs Coming Of Horror Express & House That Dripped Blood!

11 posts in this topic

Here's the article at Fango, and the link:

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=525:new-horror-express-a-house-that-dripped-blood-discs-coming&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=167

It?s been a good couple of days for fans of British horror on disc. On top of the Synapse/Hammer and HORROR HOSPITAL news we reported here and here comes the scoop that the Amicus omnibus classic THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD and the Spanish/UK co-production HORROR EXPRESS (pictured left) are also coming on new special editions.

Severin Films will issue the movies this fall with fresh hi-def transfers on new DVDs and, for the first time, on Blu-ray. The films will be accompanied by a host of supplements, details of which are coming soon. Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee star in both flicks; HOUSE, also featuring Ingrid Pitt (pictured right), Denholm Elliott, Jon Pertwee and Joss Ackland, is an anthology of four short chillers scripted by PSYCHO?s Robert Bloch, while EXPRESS, co-starring Telly Savalas, is about a brain-sucking monster loose on a Trans-Siberian train excursion. Stay tuned for updates!

Edited by: SWF on Apr 13, 2010 12:19 PM

Edited by: SWF on Apr 13, 2010 12:20 PM

Severin has released some splendid transfers - even of films I'm not particularly fond of - so their handling of these two titles is something to anticipate. Even the best HORROR EXPRESS (what a nifty film!) I've seen looked not all that great.

Image released a good DVD of Horror Express and the disc for House that dripped blood was also good..

im sure these new ones will be upgrades and a lot depends of course on bonus features - not just transfers...

Were there any bonus features on the Image of HORROR EXPRESS? I can't recall any.

Severin generally has some extras on their discs, such as an interview with the director if possible or with some of his former co-workers if not.

I recall Image's DVD being good but not necessarily great so far as color and sharpness are concerned, So an upgrade in that area would be an incentive to buy for me (though the imnprovements wouldn't do the toy train crash at the end any favors...).

As I'm not a big fan of Amicus' films I can take or leave a new release of HOUSE THAT DRIPPED.

Cast Filmographies of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, that's it. I'm looking forward to this upgrade simply because Image's DVD isn't formated for HD TVs. That's become important to me now since I upgraded to one this past December. Never was a fan of The House That Dripped Blood; now, had that second announced flick been Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors, or an upgrade of Image's The Blood Beast Terror, then, yes, I'd be excited for both. As it stands now, I'll just be buying Horror Express. To date, the Image DVD is the best version you'll find of Horror Express.

I'm still trying to decide what to do with it if they don't reproduce all that info they included on the cover's foldout.

Edited by: SWF on Apr 15, 2010 7:05 PM

Horror Express I might upgrade, House maybe...not sure yet..I like both..Horror Express is a long time favorite

Image's DVD was credible...Severin Films (who did Nightmare Castle) will have the best print yet ..dare I say Incredible

>>I'm looking forward to this upgrade simply because Image's DVD isn't formated for HD TVs.<<

Is it even anamorphic? I didn't have a WS TV last time I watched it.

As another poster wrote, it is a cool movie. The plot keeps twisting in such unexpected directions.

>>Never was a fan of The House That Dripped Blood<<

That's two of us. In my case I'm not a fan of much of the Amicus product aside fromTHE SKULL.

Quote (That's two of us. In my case I'm not a fan of much of the Amicus product aside fromTHE SKULL.)

Really?! Not even Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors?! I'm still pining for that release. Image's Horror Express wasn't anamorphic, but I wouldn't worry Severin's version will be all gussied up for our new fangled TV sets.

I still miss my Sony Tronitron Tube TV; it bit the dust this past December when my cat got up on it and puked into the grating and shorted it out.

>>Really?! Not even Doctor Terror's House Of Horrors?!

Yeah, really. Even when I saw it when I was - what? - 16?... I thought it was lame. And it hasn't improved with age (its or mine).

Somewhere along the way I read that Milton Subotsky's idea was to do horror that was safe for the kiddies to see... in other words horror that isn't too scary. Amicus definitelt took third place at the time behind Hammer and AIP.