Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodGolightly

Hollywood's best Phillip Marlowe?

15 posts in this topic

Interesting that they did not mention Mitchum played Marlowe in *The Big Sleep* aswell, but his *Farewell, My Lovely* is the better film.

Well, as much as I like those other actors, and some of the performances, it's Bogart hands down, as far as I am concerned.

Yeah, the Hollywood boys, with their hack story lines and dead from exhaustion

characters. Strictly amateurs. I've known a few in my line. Back when I still

did a little window peeping. Tapping away on their typewriters all day, drinking

all night, trying to bag a insurance firm secretary with bad teeth. The best are clowns,

the worst denser than an alley cat's hairball. Been out in the sun too long. They'll never

get a handle on me. Yeah, even if they ended up in La Jolla. With these Tinseltown

guys, it's strictly the Big Yawn.

I'll take Bogart as well. Sassy, flippant, cold as steel. I like MURDER, MY SWEET as a whole. But Bogey's personality better fits the role. Roger Ebert said Mitchum was the right type, but a little too old. I agree. But Mitchum was more inclined to knock you down than have a snappy discussion. Powers Boothe did a great job in the classy cable series. But Bogart does for crime drama what John Wayne does for the western. As detective or criminal, he brings a clever tenacity to the character, and it follows, to the story. "Are you getting all this or am I going too fast for you?"

> {quote:title=redriver wrote:}{quote}

> I'll take Bogart as well. Sassy, flippant, cold as steel. I like MURDER, MY SWEET as a whole. But Bogey's personality better fits the role. Roger Ebert said Mitchum was the right type, but a little too old. I agree. But Mitchum was more inclined to knock you down than have a snappy discussion. Powers Boothe did a great job in the classy cable series. But Bogart does for crime drama what John Wayne does for the western. As detective or criminal, he brings a clever tenacity to the character, and it follows, to the story. "Are you getting all this or am I going too fast for you?"

Perhaps you haven't seen enough MItchum. He does great snappy discussion in OUT OF THE PAST, THE BIG STEAL, CROSSFIRE, THE RACKET, MACAO, HIS KIND OF WOMAN, and others.

I like the whole P.I. gender and Philip Marlowe was right up there with Mike Hammer.Bogey was a terrific Marlowe, but Mitchum would have been a killer Hammer.

ps... anyone seen the latest Marlowe film "POODLE SPRINGS" with James Caan, not a bad flick with Caan as a newly married older Marlowe.

> {quote:title=stjohnrv wrote:}{quote}

> ps... anyone seen the latest Marlowe film "POODLE SPRINGS" with James Caan, not a bad flick with Caan as a newly married older Marlowe.

I don't think I'd even heard of it! Is it still playing in theaters, or is it already out on video?

Hi Hollywood, this movie is currently showing on TMN, The Movie network here in Canada. i don't know if it ever went to the theaters it may have been made for TV, but I'm sure it will make to DVD eventually heck anything that has James Caan in it has to be appreciated.

Hey again Hollywood, I just googled PODDLE SPRINGS and found out it was a made for TV movie in get this 1998 !!!! I never heard of it before this month on TMN. There is a DVD available but it is Region 2 format. How about that made 12 years ago and surfaces as a NEW release on TMN not MPIX, crooks.

I never heard of the movie either. The book was a Chandler project, finished by Robert B. Parker many years later.

Yeah, I saw *Poodle Springs* on cable, a few years back. I found it entertaining.

I wish Mitchum could have played Marlowe when he was younger. Then, I might pick him over Bogart.

This is like James Bond. Over the years different actors brought the senibilitities of the time and their individual nuances to the character. I?ve not seen the O?Mara, Booth, Gould, or George Montgomery films but based on what I have of their other work I?d give them all a try. I can?t picture Montgomery out of his frontier clothes but that?s my problem, not his, and why I want to see him as Marlowe. I?m not a big Robert Montgomery fan but found Lady in the Lake fascinating because of the way it was filmed-think Dark Passage -and the chance to see Jayne Meadows Allen in an acting role rather than an I?ve Got a Secret panelist. Bogey comes first, then Mitchum, Powell, and Garner. Bring them all on.