Sign in to follow this  
cinemafan

Your Favorite Stars in Advertisements

337 posts in this topic

Thanks for these interesting ads. So the show used the theme of 'it's toasted' as if the ad idea started in the 60's but based on that first ad it started decades before that (there is a date on that ad that to me looks like 1928 but it is hard to read). So the show mixed fact with fiction.

Like the statement 'reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet'!

Yes, don't eat that sugar, but instead have a smoke. Man times have changed!

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks for these interesting ads. So the show used the theme of 'it's toasted' as if the ad idea started in the 60's but based on that first ad it started decades before that (there is a date on that ad that to me looks like 1928 but it is hard to read). So the show mixed fact with fiction.

>

> Like the statement 'reach for a Lucky instead of a sweet'!

>

> Yes, don't eat that sugar, but instead have a smoke. Man times have changed!

jjg - Cigarettes were touted as an appetite suppressant, looks like. I don't watch Mad Men, but I know that member lzcutter is a fan, from what she's written. From what I can see, most celebrity ads started with movie personalities..

I am guessing that ad's from around maybe 1938? Hard to tell though.

I've only seen Florence Rice in one movie.

cinemafan: Izcutter's not the only one. I'm a Mad Men fan too and can't wait for Sunday night when the new season kicks off. It's AMC at ten so give it a try. I realize commercials and TV sponsorships exist to get us to buy, buy, buy the products and it's fun to see how the ad agencies on Madison Avenue tried to get us to do that back then-and now. The thing is, I rarely buy based on an ad. I might like one I see but get what I can afford or what my local stores have to offer. Sorry, all you real Dons out there.

star, I thought there were a few fans out there. In fact, I could have sworn there was a Mad Men thread out there somewhere. I just might try watching it.

*Shirley Temple* "a complete Shirley Temple wardrobe for the little miss" Sorry it's hard to read, but it sure does show her cuteness. 1935

p

height=687width=495>