Sign in to follow this  
cinemafan

Your Favorite Stars in Advertisements

337 posts in this topic

Hey ladies,

Please don't take this as spam but there is company called the Vermont Country Store that sells many of these hard to find cosmetics and fragrances from our younger days:

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/browse/Home/Apothecary/D/20100/P/1:100:1000

Enjoy!

Love this thread by the way!

I LOVE this thread, cinemfan! It's addictive.

I remember those Blackglama "What Becomes A Legend Most" ads from back in my day.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Apr 18, 2010 2:08 PM

Tangee Lipstick? That was everybody's first tube back then; if Mom or Grandma didn't get it for us, we schemed, scrimped, and saved for the money to get one. It was less than a dollar but made us feel so grown up. Those aloe tubes that change color to match our tones are the heirs to this. And how about Wind Song perfume that was supposed to do the same for us scentwise?

lz - I am familiar with Vermont Country Store. Lots of old fashioned stuff. I know that you can get Frownies and Wrinklies there - those little pieces of "tape" that Norma Desmond had on her face in

*Sunset Blvd.* You know, when she was preparing for her comeback.

JackF - great clip. I'm sold - 4 out of 5? - I need me some Lustre Creme right now! Ann Sheridan's voice is striking in that ad.

finance - is this what you mean? Apparently Julie sang this in tv commercials. Very stylish.

(Warning - the last 5 seconds has someone saying a word that is objectionable.)

This was in the days when a woman who smoked 4 packs a day could be considered sexy. I think I would reassess my choice when applying 2010 standards.

Love the Vermont Country store...it's dangerous. I don't need another online site to drain my money.

I never heard of that "Jeris" product...I may be needing some myself soon, do they make it for girls?? :D

Jackie---that Billie Dove ad was too cute. I like her PJ's!! I have a thing for buying cute sleepwear.

Now we know why all the need for the antimacassars! What fun.

Now, how do I enclose 24 cents in an envelope and get me some mascara and rouge? And where did I leave my 3 cent stamps? Ah, those were the days.

Aren't they adorable?

I only wish we could send off for some really inexpensive makeup....it's so pricey these days. I always wish I could go back in time and order Edwardian gowns, or 1920's flapper dresses for only 12 dollars... wouldn't be cool to have brand new vintage clothes? Or maybe I'd buy myself a house, at 1918 prices.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Aren't they adorable?

>

> I only wish we could send off for some really inexpensive makeup....it's so pricey these days. I always wish I could go back in time and order Edwardian gowns, or 1920's flapper dresses for only 12 dollars... wouldn't be cool to have brand new vintage clothes? Or maybe I'd buy myself a house, at 1918 prices.

Oh, don't get me started....if I think I'm a shopaholic now, back then they would

have had to lock me in a padded room to keep me from the shops and catalogues...

McCallsMagazine.jpg

fredclaudette-colaad.jpg

Ha ha! Was that Stacy narrating the do's and don'ts? Aside from the hat, I think all those notes on what works and what doesn't were just as appropriate for today. Classics never change.

I need someone to follow me around and help me with my clothes issues. But please, don't sign me up for the modern day version!

I enjoyed this one on how to apply 1940s style make-up. How about that

vanishing creme. Of course, then, as now, they use teenagers with

flawless skin who don't need anything to make them look good.

Wow, I always thought vanishing creme was for pimples. I guess it was some kind of foundation?

I like that triangle method for blush.