Sign in to follow this  
cinemafan

Your Favorite Stars in Advertisements

337 posts in this topic

Oh my gosh, MissG - I LOVE those fashion videos from the twenties! They are so incredible! Thanks for posting the link.

Photobucket

Beautiful ad!

I love this video because her jammies match her hair wrap and her bedskirt and

the skirt on her dressing table!

Hey Cinemafan...where stars today wouldn't be caught dead advertising on tv (instead, they go to Japan), it was interesting to see all those stars hawk the different products. Nice.

I remember my father using a product called Brillcream (not sure of the spelling) on his hair. He also smoked Lucky Strikes for years. My mother wore red lipstick and rouge (it looked great on her) all the time, Max Factor, I believe, even when it was out of style.

> {quote:title=Ustinov48 wrote:}{quote}

> I remember my father using a product called Brillcream (not sure of the spelling) on his hair. He also smoked Lucky Strikes for years. My mother wore red lipstick and rouge (it looked great on her) all the time, Max Factor, I believe, even when it was out of style.

I've heard of Brillcream of course!

Your Mother sounds very elegant. Red lipstick can be tricky, but I've noticed it really is good if you're being photographed. Paler shades or no lipstick tends to make women look washed out, whereas if you look at all those vintage photos where the women are wearing red lip rouge, they look so fresh and put together. I honestly wish it was the fashion because I think it makes women look awfully smart. But today, you really "stand out" like a light fixture if you're the only woman wearing it! :D

It's Brylcream. Back in those days, as a little kid, I used Lucky Tiger butch wax...

Catherine Denueve was in a series of TV ads a decade or so ago, acting a star, and looked quite good. So good, I have no Idea what the product was...

Awwwww, thank you, Cinemafan. I do like Catherine. I like her dark eyes.

I also loved the Royal Crown ad with Gene that Jackie posted. That's one of my favorite "Genes."

I'm going off topic a bit here, but I think women really did try to look like movie stars back in my mom's day.

For the longest time, my mom wore bright red lipstick and pencil thin heels. I remember some of her 1960's Jackie O type dresses vividly. Most were in bright or at least interesting colors, or had large vivid flowers on a white background, and they were extremely stylish. There were two silhouettes, and my mom looked smashing in either one. One was a sheath dress, very straight, usually with no sleeves. These were the ones you would see in bright colors with flowers, occasionally, and they were worn out shopping or to dinner. The other was a short sleeve, with a very full dirndle skirt. This type of dress was usually one color, since the style was more full blown and needed no adornment. They were often used as a house dress.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Women really did wear those clothes all the time, so when you see June Cleaver or Donna Reed vacuuming in pearls and a sweater set, it's true, women did this.

I really miss the way my mom looked, but not at the cost. The little pencil heels that she wore day after day destroyed her feet, and she had many health problems because of it, later in life.

Women really did wear those clothes all the time

Yes, they did, JackFavell. I remember those shirtwaist and sheath/shift dresses, I wore them in the early 1960s and so did my mother. I remember getting one dollar fabric sandals every summer from Woolworth's. They wore out by the next summer, but they were comfortable and I wish the U.S. still saw fit to make and sell them. I also was required to wear a girdle, when I was pencil thin, in high school because giggling was frowned upon in the years before 1968.

Gloriously, 1968 hit America and gone were the bras and the girdles and the heels and the shifts and the gloves and the netted hats and everything else that bound this country together. I reveled in tee shirts and flat sandals and embroidered jeans. It was a wonderful time to be alive.

I miss those days. The country is currently perilously close to 1963.

Wow, Jackie! No wonder you are so stylish and creative yourself...you had a stunning mom. My mother was a professional seamstress so she would get those patterns, just like the ones you pictured, and make them herself, too. I could KILL to have her wardrobe now, I'm paying so much for the modern day knock-offs that never seem quite as "chic".

I love, love, love every single dress and pattern you posted. That is my "style" of choice, that

late fifties, early sixties svelt look only I don't always have the figure to pull it off.

That first yellow dress is a DREAM...my favorite color, too.

I wish I could wear red lipstick. My mother was blessed with dark hair, eyes, skin, red was fab on her. I'm in heaven looking at all these ads and the patterns. So chic! There is a wonderful vintage store near me in Delaware, Ohio, called Captain Betty's. She has wonderful vintage clothing, jewelry, shoes, purses, men's clothing, it's a little trip to heaven. My daughter and I love going there. She caught the vintage bug too. It's funny, she's so young, she really loves 60's and 70s fashion, the clothing of my youth.

That is so funny, MissG. Yellow is my favorite color too! Those first two pictures in yellow really caught my eye. They're my favorites. And as for stylish....ha! I am as far from stylish as you can get. I never had time for it. Only once was I ahead of a trend.... when I went to Europe for the first time and came back with a Madonna-style outfit - a cropped top and skirt with a paint-splashed look, and I wore it and everyone laughed at me because it was so outrageous. Within six months, Madonna had hit the charts and made crop tops the rage.

I haven't the temperament to be stylish, I would rather lurk in a crowd than stand out.

My mom was not a professional, but she was a great seamstress, and she made most of her clothes as well as ours. She had to, because she never had any money to spend. She was fashionable, but never over the top in any way... like many women of the time, Jackie Kennedy was her idol. She instilled a bit of a duality in me - She always thought it a bit unseemly to care about clothes too much, but you had better look clean and neat, well put together. I am a bit sloppy compared to her, and I have a fear of drawing attention to myself too much.

I could kick myself that I never learned to sew properly. I didn't think it was important.... I even took a Singer sewing class and bombed it. It looks like it ought to be easy, but the measuring.... oh! My brain does not do well with that.

Nowadays, fabric is so expensive, you might as well buy things off the rack.... because from what I see, you would spend more making it yourself than buying a dress at a store. It's strange how things have changed. I bought a ton of interior design fabrics for my house, and they cost an arm and a leg. You really have to dig to find fabrics that are what you want but still reasonably priced.

Wow! What wonderful stuff. I remember my mother wearing dresses everyday or pencil skirts and cardigans, never pants. The yellow cotton dress (with belt) is typical of what she would wear. She was a stay at home mom with seven children and this is what she would wear cooking and cleaning. Thanks for the lovely post!

Oh my goodness, I remember crop tops! :D

So many women knew how to sew in that generation and I hate that I had no aptitude for it. I tried to learn, but I was hopeless. My one dress in home economics was a DISASTER, lol! One sleeve was huge, the other too tight for my arm to even go through. But I loved drawing my own designs for years.

You're right about it being more expensive to make your own and forget about taking your ideas to a seamstress...you'll pay ten times what it would cost in a store. Have you ever looked online at fabrics? I was wondering if they're cheaper that way, but you simply must see and touch them to really get a true sense of the colors and texture.

I used to get into so much trouble with my mom because I would sneak off to school wearing her outfits and dresses. There was only one other girl in my whole high school who would dress "differently"...in her case it was more a Madonna type vintage look whereas I just wanted to be movie star glam and chic. I was shy in high school until my junior year, then I really went to town dressing up and coloring my hair and wearing make up. I was so contemptuous of small town mentality, lol!!

Now I sometimes feel back to not wanting to call that kind of attention to myself. I prefer the cooler, more sedate lady like looks of Jackie O or Laura Petrie. If I could afford them!

> {quote:title=Ustinov48 wrote:}{quote}

> I wish I could wear red lipstick. My mother was blessed with dark hair, eyes, skin, red was fab on her. I'm in heaven looking at all these ads and the patterns. So chic! There is a wonderful vintage store near me in Delaware, Ohio, called Captain Betty's. She has wonderful vintage clothing, jewelry, shoes, purses, men's clothing, it's a little trip to heaven. My daughter and I love going there. She caught the vintage bug too. It's funny, she's so young, she really loves 60's and 70s fashion, the clothing of my youth.

That is wonderful! I'm so glad you and your daughter get to share that in common....it was one of the few things my mother and I got together on, fashion. Of course, not when it came to my swiping her clothes and wearing them to school! I didn't think at the time what kind of cost "dry cleaning" entailed. But oh, how I wish she hadn't thrown out those outfits, they were dreamy.

My mom was very blonde and fair and generally wore minimal make-up with pale lips or usually no lipstick at all. But she did wear false lashes for the longest time. I used to LOVE when she wore them, they made her look so feminine and doe-eyed.

There are tons of vintage shops in NYC but I find most of them crazy expensive. The ones in L.A. that I used to shop were much more reasonable.

Wow! Seven kids! That must be nice, to have so many siblings... I only have one.

Yes, my mom would wear the full skirted house dresses to clean and cook in. I remember my favorite was a Mexican inspired two piece peasant dress, white, with puffed sleeves and a scoop neck, and red rickrack (sp?) around the sleeves. It had six inches of embroidered flowers and maybe Mexican life scenes around the bottom of the full, dirndle style skirt. To her it was a knockabout dress, but to me it was like a fantasy come true.... gosh, I loved that dress. It was so feminine.

>

> Yes, my mom would wear the full skirted house dresses to clean and cook in. I remember my favorite was a Mexican inspired two piece peasant dress, white, with puffed sleeves and a scoop neck, and red rickrack (sp?) around the sleeves. It had six inches of embroidered flowers and maybe Mexican life scenes around the bottom of the full, dirndle style skirt. To her it was a knockabout dress, but to me it was like a fantasy come true.... gosh, I loved that dress. It was so feminine.

That dress sounds too adorable for words.

"Rick rack"! I remember that! I think my mom sewed it on some of my school dresses when I was little (and I hated wearing dresses at that age...six or seven...I didn't turn into a "girl" until about 12 or 13).

Yes, 6 girls and 1 boy, can you imagine?! I think it was a few too many. My mother was an only child and said she always wanted a big family. The great part is, we're all friends now and stay in touch, and they are all very funny and talented. The bad part, while growing up, we had to share everything...LOL

That Mexican dress sounds divine! I must admit I've been wearing alot of peasant blouses lately and I'm on the lookout for them.

Karl Malden selling American Express travelers checks. And Ricardo Montalban selling Chrysler Cordobas.