Sign in to follow this  
cinemafan

Your Favorite Stars in Advertisements

337 posts in this topic

One thing you and I had in common - I couldn't wait to get out of high school and go somewhere else, with people who knew something of glamour and life - like in the movies! Ha!

In high school, I mostly wore jeans and a nice top every day. I actually stole clothes from my grandma - I had a lot of her old "vintage" embroidered cardigan sweaters. I used to love to wear them, but of course in Oklahoma, you got stared at for wearing vintage back then. That's about the extent of my style. But I did spend hours on my hair... I had wings like Farrah, or Jaclyn Smith. Everyone did.

Once I found a taffeta gown at a yard sale, saturated midnight blue with a beautiful under sheen of bronze or gold. it had small fleur de lys imprinted in the fabric and a wide slightly off shoulder fifties-style neckline with a v back. The skirt was crinolined underneath and it rustled when I walked. It was a full length gown. I was lucky enough to get to wear it in our school version of "You Can't Take it With You." I wish I still had it. I wish there had been somewhere else to wear it.... :)

Vintage shopping has really become a trendy thing, hasn't it? When I was a kid, we always shopped at the thrift stores because there were so many of us. I remember when I was in my 20's, I was so overboard for 1920-1930's fashions. I would wear hats and seamed stockings, it didn't quite catch on in Ohio...LOL Your mother sounds lovely. I did get my mother's olive skin, but my father was of English descent, so I have light hair and eyes and a pointy chin, sort of Angela Lansbury with a tan...

>

> Once I found a taffeta gown at a yard sale, saturated midnight blue with a beautiful under sheen of bronze or gold. it had small fleur de lys imprinted in the fabric and a wide slightly off shoulder fifties-style neckline with a v back. The skirt was crinolined underneath and it rustled when I walked. It was a full length gown. I was lucky enough to get to wear it in our school version of "You Can't Take it With You." I wish I still had it. I wish there had been somewhere else to wear it.... :)

I can picture you as the Jean Arthur role and looking beautiful in that gown. :)

"Somewhere to wear it" is my life story! I still have clothes with the tags on because I don't have anywhere to wear them! I guess I need to take a leaf from June Cleaver's book and just start wearing them to vacuum my flat. At least I can give the delivery boys something they don't see every day. :D

Edited by: MissGoddess on Apr 19, 2010 10:57 AM

Ustinov48 I just read the story of your parents' first date at your TCM Fan Union page...what a lovely story! I am a firm believer in "opposites attract" myself. Best wishes on your book!

Thanks! The book is in skeleton form right now, notes, research, etc., but it's going. I love that story too. They're both gone now, but left me with an undying love of movies and music, and that's a good, good thing.

I also had the fabulous Farrah wings. This dress sounds like the most wonderful thing on earth, besides chocolate. I'd wear it to just to get my mail. LOL

> {quote:title=Ustinov48 wrote:}{quote}

> I also had the fabulous Farrah wings. This dress sounds like the most wonderful thing on earth, besides chocolate. I'd wear it to just to get my mail. LOL

Ha! I used to wear it around the house - just to play dress up!

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> I want the green one!

It's the prettiest. I like the little red one, too.

Here's Alan Ladd in ad for Van Heusen...

4342_1954-Van-Heusen-shirt-ad-Alan-Ladd-universal-actor.jpg

And Chesterfield...

20060404092316.jpg

50o4qbrlk1bjho.jpg

wt13_alanladd.jpg

This just goes to show that George would do anything for money. :)

The two things in this world that do NOT go together in my mind are George Sanders and Blatz beer:

Photobucket

Oh my goodness that's hilarious! Georgie, Georgie...

Look who did a Lucky Strike ad....

greerluckystrikead.jpg

That was not Bette Davis, as far as I could tell....

The girl on the right after Clark Gable and Louella looked an awful lot like Carole Lombard.

And was the girl with the pooch who was reclining and showing her legs, Betty Grable?

LOL! I love the green one and the red one, the one with the cute black hip sash is great also. Just think if you had 20 bucks, you had a wardrobe!

This one made me laugh out loud. George and a glass of Blatz! Hard to picture...but the picture is right there! LOL