movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

928 posts in this topic

Yes, I am stealing an idea from a friend at another playground to find out what the group here might have recently been enjoying on their stereo of choice.

With the other music threads running very nice daily video treats I though one where we could talk about music we have been listening to might be a little change of pace. Be it classical, pop, rock, country, new age, jazz, film soundtracks or whatever the current forms are (badly showing my age here) tell us what and why.

Critique your favorite, or even least favorite album. Suggest something for someone else. Share a concert experience. Comment on your favorite songwriters or composers. Compare different versions of the same song. Maybe you play an instrument or write songs. Tell us about it.

Anything on music is up for discussion.

So then, what have you been listening to?

I'll start.

Recently I have run through *Rachmaninoff"s Second Symphony* with Andre Previn conducting. This is leading to a Baltimore Symphony Concert next month where it will be the featured work.

The Beatles *Magical Mystery Tour* has been going on. I can't imagine having this originally available as just an EP in England since the US release was expanded and better, I think.

Michael Gettel's *Winter.* He is a fine and long time New Age artist that writes lovely music.

You're such a cultured man! My current music listening has been mostly what's on internet radio's "Boston Pete", which is lots of crooner schmaltz. Sinatra, Crosby, Mel Torme....I never can get enough. However, on my mp3 player I've been listening to Julie London and Kenny Rogers. I like Julie's voice, she's very, very relaxed and that in turn relaxes me. I can also follow along in her key more easily than with other female vocalists (with better voices, ha).

In my bathroom when I shower or bathe I've been playing Peggy Lee, as conducted by Frank Sinatra, "The Man I Love"....

Sorry, Chris, I only listen to Sirius Radio now. I haven't bought a CD in years, don't own an MP3 player, and my vinyl is collecting dust in a closet. I switch between 40's on 4 and Sirius Pops (or Symphony Hall ) in the car and on TV. My preferences are Fats Waller on the former, and Tchaikovsky on the latter.

In my bathroom when I shower or bathe I've been playing Peggy Lee, as conducted by Frank Sinatra, "The Man I Love"....

Hey Dahlink! That's what I've been doing every day too! Every time i take a shower, I have to put on Peggy Lee, Frankie Sinatra, Judy Garland, Nat King Cole, Lena horne or Michael Buble. Heehee!

Right now I'm listening to "Unforgettable" by Nat himself. :D

Recently I have run through Rachmaninoff"s Second Symphony with Andre Previn conducting. This is leading to a Baltimore Symphony Concert next month where it will be the featured work.

Hey Chris!

I love that Symphony! My papa was listening to that the other day, so I sat with him outside with him and we had a really sweet chat while watching the sun set and listening to it. He's loves that stuff liek you do. :)

Are you going to the Concert?

Nat "King" Cole, how could I leave him off. I need to get one of his CDs, I used to listen to him more often. Love that creamy voice!

lovely. I like Nat's version of "Stardust" best, too. Frank never released an official recording of it, I believe, though he laid down a few attempts, which I think are now available but I'm not familiar with them. I don't think of Frank as a Hoagy Carmichael kind of singer.

He recorded it a few times but I don't think it was ever released as a single. I read he was never satisfied with any of the versions he recorded. He did sing it when he was with the bands, I'm sure. That's a good version you posted...it sounds a little later in his career.

He recorded it a few times but I don't think it was ever released as a single. I read he was never satisfied with any of the versions he recorded. He did sing it when he was with the bands, I'm sure. That's a good version you posted...it sounds a little later in his career.

Yeah I read that too, but then thought he released it later in his career. You're probably right, though. Heehee!

In my bathroom when I shower or bathe I've been playing Peggy Lee, as conducted by Frank Sinatra, "The Man I Love"...

What, what?

*_SweetT_*

I am going to the concert. I am looking forward to it. We did a short series this year. The last one I went to featured Moussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition." That was fun.

*_Patful_*

No need to apologize for your listening status. Things have changed so much over the years that this is of interest too. Keep 'em coming.

Hey Chris!!

I am going to the concert. I am looking forward to it. We did a short series this year. The last one I went to featured Moussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition." That was fun.

Oh goodie! you have to let us know how you like it!

You got to go to "Pictures At An Exhibition?" Now that is marvelous! I love the opera, Boris Godunov, that he did. Mussorgsky was truly an inspiration to many in the Russian culture.

Early Frankie crooning a simply heavinly "Polkadots and Moonbeams" ... *heavy sigh*.

I've been living off a steady diet of Frankie lately. (Boys. Grrr.) And this fluffy tune is about the lightest I've gotten ... it's all been Where Are You and Wee Small Hours ...

MissG and SweetT:

I go into my local Starbucks this morning to visit my bride before I go to work and there on the counter is an album by Peggy Lee. And as sure as sunrise I have forgotten the title. I guess I was distracted because right next to it was a Willie Nelson album. (Not among my favorites.)

So in case you both needed another one to help you through the day you can check it out there. (I don't see it on Amazon so it may be exclusive to them. That also means you may have most of them already.)

HI Chris!

I never go to Starbucks but I may have to stop in now. I remember they had some Sinatra discs for sale there in the past. At least they have good taste in music. :D

I only have one "greatest hits" of Peggy Lee and the one Frank produced for her.

Hey Chris!

Yeah I saw that in the Starbucks I usually go to recently. I found it very exciting and wanted to purchase it! I made a couple friends at the one I go to and they know I love the music they play there. Mostly easy listening and classic standards. They showed it to me the other day.

Was your bride enjoying a cuppa there and you met her there for a short little date? That's so romantic!

>Was your bride enjoying a cuppa there and you met her there for a short little date? That's so romantic!

Almost. She works there. Once in a while I go by for a chocolate drink and a kiss.

Copland's Third Symphony.

It is less about melodies than motifs. All interesting and then the surprise of his "Fanfare For The Common Man" inserted into the last movement. Orchestrated to include strings the fanfare doesn't sound as big but it finally comes as a counterpoint with another motif to lead energetically to the end. (Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic.)

This is great! Aaron Copeland, Frank Sinatra, and Peggy Lee all in one big discussion!

About Copeland - didn't he write that beautiful melody that was later made into a hymn, I think it's from "Appalachian Spring"?

I listen to Frank Sinatra almost every Saturday night, often an album called "Where Are You" ? Many of the songs on this are very "noirish". "Laura" has to be one of the most haunting melodies Frank ever sang (plus, "Laura" is kind of an early "film Noir").

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 24, 2010 6:56 PM

>About Copeland - didn't he write that beautiful melody that was later made into a hymn, I think it's from "Appalachian Spring"?

It is more the other way around. It is used in "Appalachian Spring." THe tune is indeed a Quaker hymn called "Simple Gifts." It dates from around 1848. Copland's ballet from around 1945.

Thanks for joining in. Share some more as we go.

Thank you, movieman1957. I didn't know that Copeland had taken an old hymn and integrated it into his composition (thought it was the other way around). But then, a lot of composers did that, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

I know that one of my favourite composers, Mahler, used folk tunes and wove them into his symphonies a lot. My father introduced me to Mahler's music. His work is very powerful, and some think it can be overly sweet -almost too melodic. People either love his music or hate it. My two favourite Mahler symphonies are his 2nd and his 4th. Very beautiful, very moving.

Complete change of pace: I love Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew"

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 25, 2010 11:00 AM