movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

982 posts in this topic

The remastered "A Question of Balance" now sits in my collection and a favorite from it is ----

Dawning Is The Day

CDs I'm currently enjoying:

Neil Young: Decade

After the Gold Rush

Rust Never Sleeps -- mainly for the two versions of Hey Hey, My My

Buffy Sainte-Marie: It's My Way!

Genesis: Turn It on Again

Lotte Lenya: Berlin Theatre Songs by Kurt Weill

Die Dreigroschenoper (conducted by Wilhelm Bruckner-Ruggeberg)

I hope nobody minds if I introduce a sad note today. British soul singer Amy Winehouse has died, at the age of 27.

I wasn't a huge fan or anything, haven't really followed her career. I did know that like so many talented young musicians before, she was troubled and had what they call "addiciton issues." I was surprised with myself, how sad I was to hear she had died.

What I do know about her is that one "hit" that we used to hear all the time, everywhere, a few years ago ( circa 2008?) I was struck by her soulful voice, and by her 1960s r and b style of music. It is a very effective song.

The video she made here will seem sadly prophetic, and also both ironic and appropriate ( or inappropriate, if one is easily offended) in view of her passing.

Back to Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1evzhSast8

-----

From the soundtrack to Broken Flowers, "There is an End" by The Greenhornes, featuring Holly Golightly

Fun 50s beatnik vibe. My favorite part is the guitar lines playing in parallel. Holly's voice is pleasant, too.

It's been a day and it's not even noon.

Tchaikovsky

[ |http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1J5912WbAQ]

and Brahms

LD Jr. is partial to this one. An improptu performance of "Eye of the Tiger," by Jensen Ackles from the TV show, "Survivor."

I don't know why so many object to Bob Dylan's singing. No, he doesn't croon, but he's got his own.

This is a favorite of mine. "Jokerman" from 1984 or so.

> My problem is that it is not a pleasant voice. He is also hard to understand. He is not alone in either category.

No, I guess most would not describe Dylan's voice as pleasant, but I don't find it unpleasant. Certainly distinctive. Unique. And I appreciate his poetry.

I find Billie Holiday's voice grating. And Ertha Kitt's. I cannot listen to operatic soprani.

As for being intelligible, I can make him out well enough when he sings, tho sometimes in the past when he has spoken some found his words hard to make out. He's gotten that tag.

Here is another, from my favorite concert film. "Forever Young"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXe-OD58o9o

(It's a high point of the film, too, because Scorcese's camera pans down from the lights, and lands on Bob, who is not introduced otherwise. He simply appears. On the night of the concert, which was the farewell performance for The Band - who had toured with Bob when he went "electric" years before - there was some backstage concern that Dylan might not perform. He had to be coaxed, it seems.)

Another Dylan fan, with a very pleasant voice, Joan Baez

Diamonds and Rust