movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

1,004 posts in this topic

That's so funny, Chris, it's the second time this week I've heard Fanfare. My M other in law had gotten a Copland cd for Christmas, and she was playing it on Sunday while we were visiting - she stopped it and put this selection on, it's her favorite.

Appalachian Spring has some good memories for me, and has my favorite hymn incorporated into it. When my theatre group did the play *Of Mice and Men*, I got to pick the opening music, and that is the song I picked - I thought it was so American, and it reminded me of the Harvest of Shame doc about itinerant farm workers. It just felt right for the story of Lennie and George -

'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free.....

I like the part where it first starts to pick up pace and sounds like horses trotting along.

My other favorite is Rodeo, with it's jouncy bucking sound.

Maybe I just like the sound of horses. :D

Nice stuff from Rudy! :)

Alice Faye began her career as a band vocalist with the Rudy Vallee Orchestra in 1933, I have a recording of hers with the Vallee orchestra (title is "Shame On You") in my 78 collection.

Here are a couple of more college themed songs:

Jesse Stafford:

Varsity Eight:

That would be awesome. I never thought of a screening - I would love to have some screwball like Godfrey or maybe Monkey Business - the Marx Bros. one, I mean. Maybe followed by Westward the Women. :D

Maybe they would sit still for a few classic movies then.

Edited by: JackFavell on Feb 10, 2012 9:33 AM

This is a song I just starting playing the last few days. I have heard it many years ago, but never played it.

It is a song classic movie fans can related to. In fact I had to explain to people why it is called No Myth (well why I think it is). I believe it relates to Heathclif and the fact that Cathy coming back to him is No Myth.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/michael-penn/id279073