movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

1,003 posts in this topic

Hoagy is one of my favorite songwriters. Many of his songs have unique and 'cool' chord progressions. He would be an American great only for his songwriter but of course he was also an actor and entertainer.

Scottman, Waldir Aleve - that was a nice post. Thanks.

*Oscar Aleman y su Orquestra - Besame Mucho*

---

Louisiana Red died last week. One of the last of the bluesmen in the tradition of Lightnin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker.This is probably his most well known song. Eric Burdon did a screaming version of this.

*WARNING -* This song is totally vicious and psychotic, definitely rated 'R' for violence. Enter at your own risk.

*Louisiana Red - Sweet Blood Call*

Best wishes

Metairie Road

I've been listening to the fabulous Dinah Washington! My favorite song of hers is "Teach Me Tonight" and "Stairway to the Stars"

I am not a big blues fan but I do like it occasionally, and especially the older recordings. That one was great! I like Wilkins' voice.

Did anyone see the TCM clip about *Hallelujah!* and the lullaby that Fanny Belle DeKnight sang? It gave me chills up and down my spine to know that that song was probably passed down from generation to generation since at least the 1870's, probably further back than that. I tried to find a copy but didn't see it on a cursory look around youtube and the TCM media room.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 27, 2012 8:16 AM

That is one of my favorite Frank Stokes sides! Frank played in medicine shows in the early 1900s, and along with blues, his repitoire included ragtime and pop tunes as well. "I Got Mine" is a raggy tune from the early 1900s.

Another favorite song is "Chicken", by the Utica Jubilee Singers:

Edited by: Scottman on Mar 27, 2012 12:00 PM to correct the song title

Ha! I feel the same way every time I go to the grocery store and see the prices!

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 27, 2012 1:37 PM

Sad news today - Earl Scruggs has died of natural causes at 88 years old.

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 29, 2012 6:58 AM

Edited by: JackFavell on Mar 29, 2012 7:01 AM

I feel lucky that I got to see Earl perform at UCLA in November, 2011. He still sounded great.

More of Earl:

"Down The Road"

"McKinley's Gone"

Ahhh! You ARE lucky! He was a great great musician. I've been reading up and he revolutionized banjo playing and country music itself. But most of all, he was just the most enjoyable to listen to.

I love your choices! Mine were a little rushed, but I loved what he had to say at the beginning of that first clip, and how he liked to share the spotlight. He seems like he was a really NICE man as well as a consummate artist.