movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

926 posts in this topic

Getting religion (musically)

Ever since the night I was out walking the dog and looking at the stars whilst listening to Hearts Of Space on the radio, I?ve had a bit of an obsession with religious music. They played Tchaikovsky?s ?Cherubic Hymn? from his ?Liturgy for St. John Chrysostum?. I was stunned by this amazingly beautiful piece of music. Sung by the superb St. Petersburg Choir (or the Leningrad Choir as it was when it was recorded). Strictly Acapella - no musical instruments are allowed inside Russian Orthodox churches apparently - I had to own this CD and ordered it the next day.

Gorecki - 3rd Symphony. His beautiful and heartbreaking ?Symphony Of Sad Songs?. A memorial to those who perished in the holocaust of WWII. - You will not be forgotten..

Best wishes

Metairie Road

*misswonderly*

Mahler, as you say, can be an acquired taste. This may be partly due to the length of his works. You really have to set aside time. I have always liked his 5th and 8th Symphonies. I am not all that fond of his 9th. I think I was expecting something different.

Indeed folk songs were huge in the works of famous composers. Manny like Tchaikovsky, mentioned by Metry Road, Brahms and Dvorak often used them to build works on.

*Metry Road*

I have not heard that work by Tchaikovsky. He is among my favorite composers (His 6th Symphony is my favorite of all.) I have many recordings of his works but I will have to find that to listen to. Thanks for bringing it up.

Edited by: movieman1957 on Apr 25, 2010 3:55 PM

Metry Road: thank you for those two pieces of music you suggested. I listened to them both and both were exquisitely beautiful. I'd never heard either before. Tchaikovsky's "Cherubic Hymn" truly does sound as though it is being sung by angels. For some reason, the lack of instrumental accompaniment only renders this song even more heavenly. Choral music really is "the music of the spheres."

The Gorecki piece was equally beautiful and moving. And, as you said, heartbreaking.

on the subject of heavenly choral pieces: I love Brahms' Alto Rhapsody.

*Metry Road*

Thank you for the clips. Those works are like nothing I have heard. The Tchaikovsky is beautiful and sounds like, to me, nothing of his other works. The Gorecki is haunting and mournful. The video is quite good as well. Thanks for sharing.

misswonderly and movieman1957, You're both welcome. You certainly have good taste in music, like me.

Anyway, now that I have your attention, and before I overstay my welcome I'll post a few more favorites.

Vox humana - the best musical instrument in the world. My own singing voice sounds like a loose fanbelt, but I can appreciate fine singing when I hear it.

Harmony - If I were to have a song sung at my funeral it would be this one.

The Wailin' Jennys - The Parting Glass

My sweet Kates. Who never let me down.

Kate Rusby - Who Will Sing Me Lullabies

KATE BUSH hounds of love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXmTvbw4kLw

Goodnight, and joy be with you all.

Metairie Road

All lovely selections. You seem to have a taste for a cappella (spelling?) singing -referring to the Wailing' Jennies.

Both Kate songs were also delightful. Thank you, metryroad.

I attended the Baltimore Symphony's performance of Rachmaninoff''s 2nd Symphony. An exciting performance that was preceded by a short explanation of the work by the conductor, Marin Alsop. I was explaining to my bride on the way to the show that Eric Carmen pinched a primary melody from the work for his hit "Never Gonna Fall In Love Again" only to have it mentioned and a bit of Carmen's song for comparison purposes.

It is always nice to hear it live as there are subtle things that may go unnoticed on a CD. A fun evening.

movieman, I know this suggestion is a bit silly, but anyway... when you mentioned Rachmaninoff , I couldn't help thinking of "The Seven year Itch", in which some piano theme by the esteemed composer keeps reappearing. Maybe it would be fun for you two to watch it together, if you haven't already. It's funny to see the attitude they had to classical music back then: either too revered, or used for comic effect.

here's an a cappela song for metryroad, and maybe others will like it tool It's a very old folk song, performed by Pentangle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIoc8WcloXo

I know there are no visuals, but the song doesn't need any. Make your own visuals.

I'm here. I check this often to see if anyone has posted anything and I get email notices.

I love Brahms. I'm not always a fan of vocal music but am looking for new things to enjoy. You post anytime you want.

Misswonderly, thanks for the Pentangle and the Kathleen Ferrier. Just perfect.

Let's make some noise.

The explosive finale to Mahler?s epic first symphony - aptly named ?Titan?. Nobody does ?BIG? as good as Mahler. Turn up the volume and hold on to your seat.

Gustavo Dudamel conducting the La Scala Philharmonic Orchestra

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OadJjEwnJ74&feature=related

Here?s something to calm you down again.

Victoria de Los Angeles singing the lovely Ba?l?ro from Canteloube?s Chants d'Auvergne.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Tom Russell is a favorite of mine. On his Borderland album, he does a very fine song named Touch of Evil, after the Orson Welles film. You can check it out here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:kpfwxqr0ldse

Just click on it to hear it.

Edited by: ValentineXavier on May 11, 2010 3:23 AM

>Gorecki - 3rd Symphony. His beautiful and heartbreaking ?Symphony Of Sad Songs?. A memorial to those who perished in the holocaust of WWII. - You will not be forgotten..

After you posted this I got a copy of the full symphony. I've never heard any of Gorecki's work before this and it is a moving and unusual piece. The first movement runs almost 27 minutes. There is not a lot of movement but the theme builds and has enough variation to keep it all interesting. It is nearly seventeen minutes in before the vocal comes. There is a tension and a controlled anger to it.

The second movement, the link provided, is a beautiful mournful melody. The vocal line is more varied than the strings but they work together to build a beautiful sadness.

The third movement is the least satisfying for me. At this point the music line, to me, becomes too repetitive and has too little movement. A nice lyrical vocal line but there is a long time before the orchestra moves to another pattern.

The recording is from David Zinman (who conducted my hometown Baltimore Symphony) conducting the London Sinfonietta with Dawn Upshaw as vocalist.

Yes, the 'Dawn Upshaw and London Sinfonietta' is the version I have on CD.

Dvoř?k - Song To The Moon from Rusalka - Eva Jenisov? at the National Theatre of Prague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF7eUduhyh8

Robbie Burns lovely poem

Roisin O`Reilly - Ae Fond Kiss

When I was in college one of the reading assignments was James Joyce?s Finnegan?s Wake. I?m sorry, but I never made it past the first page. Now, if I?d had Tom Clancy reading it to me it would have been a different story, literally.

Finnegan's Wake - Clancy Brothers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caFT61Wy_n0

Watched 'Donovan?s Reef' again for the umpteenth time last weekend. Pure escapism. Get out your ukulele (I know you have one) and we'll sing this together.

Pupu A O `Ewa (Pearly Shells)

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Thanks so much for sharing those.

I spent the evening watching "PDQ Bach in Houston: We Have A Problem." I haven't laughed that hard in some time. My wife and 19 year old daughter (who tried not to laugh but couldn't help herself) loved it too.

It was funny. It was musical. Enjoyed his "Schleptet." His oratorio "The Seasonings." And the funniest title "The Fugue Meshugga." The orchestra and vocalists seemed to enjoy themselves. I am sure this kind of program must be an acquired for taste but if you can find the humor in classical music check him out.

Courtesy of Peter Schickele. Professor of Southern North Dakota at Hoople.

I recently bought the remastered "In Search Of The Lost Chord" by The Moody Blues. Having been a long time fan I had been looking for a copy of Mike Pinder's song "A Simple Game." The remastered edition had two versions of it. Having enjoyed those I finally decided to go for the whole album. My goodness what a difference in the sound quality. The original CD never sounded all that clear to me. This remaster confirms how weak the sound was originally.

If you are a fan at all and haven't thought about it then I would recommend upgrading. With Father's Day around the corner there may be some more added to my collection.

I saw the Moody Blues live in 2004 -some kind of reunion tour. There was quite a crowd, and they were still pretty good. My husband has most of their albums on CD, and every Sunday he has this ritual in which he selects one at random and plays it, claiming that they're somehow "Sundayish". I used to make fun of them, but having had to listen to them so much on Sundays, I realized after a while that they wrote some lovely songs. So zen.

I have all there albums except "December." (Not counting the compilations.) I have seen them in concert several times but not in a couple of years. They still tour quite extensively and always draw a good crowd.

Maybe they are "Sundayish" the same way I think Saturdays were made for watching westerns. Lots of good music to enjoy.

I like Westerns too. The other day I watched Fort Apache, from one of the TCM boxed sets. I'd never seen it before. Not as good -no, the word is enjoyable, as some Ford films, but still worth seeing.

Henry Fonda is such a martinet in it! Even though he makes a speech at the beginning about not wanting to be just that.

I remember you said something once about liking classical piano music (at least I have that impression). So, moving on from Fonda to Beethoven...

Edited by: misswonderly on May 26, 2010 4:55 PM

Not only do I love classical music and piano in particular you picked my favorite, Beethoven and one of my favorite pieces.

How nice of you to remember. Thank you for the music.

Hello again, I hope you are all well.

Speaking of piano music, here are a couple of my personal favorites.

A beautiful piano waltz by Karen Marie Garrett, evoking images of little girls in pink tutus at dancing class.

*Karen Marie Garrett - Tip-toe dancer (Kathryn's Song)*

Something a little different from Stephen Foster

*Stephen Foster - Autumn Waltz for Piano*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yciyhgHHuAE

Can't go without postng a vocal piece.'And The Glory Of The Lord'From Handel's Messiah. play it *LOUD*.

*Atlanta Symphony and Chorus - And The Glory Of The Lord*

Best wishes