movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

926 posts in this topic

I'm listening to Jazzradio.com. They have many different jazz sites like Piano Jazz, Bebop, Cool jazz, Bossa Nova etc.. Of course I'm listening to the guitar jazz site. I felt I knew most of jazz guitar recordings but there is no much I have never heard! AND it is free. What a deal!

jamesjazzguitar, thanks for the tip. Great radio station, I recommend it to all jazz lovers. Now you've touched my other soft spot - JAZZ - I guess I'll have to post a few favorites.

Rare and sublime from 1939

*The Quintet Of The Hot Club Of France - J'attendrai Swing*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

From the Montreux jazz fest 1969

*Les McCann and Eddie Harris - Compared To What*

The Newport Jazz Fest 1958

What a dress! Big bows were worn at the front that year.

*Dinah Washington - All of Me*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCSav4UrBPI&feature=related

Best wishes

At the moment, the Police "Murder by Numbers" part of a playlist that includes Benny Goodman, Sarah MacLachlin, Slainte Mha, Billy Squier, the Beatles, NIN, Bare Naked Ladies, Flogging Molly, Henry Mancini and Glenn Miller. It's pretty eclectic. :D

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> I haven't talked to her in maybe two months. Just wanted to know if she was all right.

>

> How about a nice Moody Blues song to get Eric out of your head.

>

>

That was beautiful! I loved the images too, the colors were gorgeous and matched the whole mood of the song. Thanks.. You must have known I needed a pick me up tonight.

*Bruckner's 4th.* Big and broad it is titled "Romantic." I think it is his most popular. I tried his 9th once and I really didn't care for it.

The Moody Blues *"To Our Children's Children's Children."* I bought the remastered version on itunes. Once again it is a fine upgrade. Very clear instrumentation. More distinction from the mellotron than the original. Plenty of bonus tracks though some are longer versions of songs on the true album.

Hi Chris

Bruckner has never a done a thing for me. Unbelievably tedious. And yet so highly respected in many circles. He is still often played. But I can't get anywhere with it.

Nice thread, Chris. I'll keep it mind.

laffite

Those are some very cool youtube links. Of course I love Django. Man that guy was ahead of his time and he had so much energy. Eddie Harris was a great entertainer for sure. Just goes to show that being a great musician isn't always required to be a great entertainer. Eddie was just flat out fun to watch.

Diana Washington is one of the great singers that I feel doesn't get as much attention as she should. She is right up there will the other lady singers like Ella.

Long live jazz. Give me a classic flim with great jazz and I'm in heaven!

Maybe this isn't the type of music you guys are into, but I heard this song on the radio tonight and I really liked it.It has a poppy sound, great for summer, and words I could really relate to:

Dear JackFavell There?s so much good music in the world, definitely more than one person can handle alone. Please feel free to tell us what you?re listening to.

Around the world

The lovely Angelique Kidjo from Benin, Africa.

*Angelique Kidjo - Agolo*

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/12758

An excellent cover of the McGuinness Flint hit from Germany via south Louisiana.

*Fury In The Slaughterhouse - When I'm Dead And Gone*

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2034784/v2165275

Tres Dramatique! Isabelle Boulay from Canada.

*Isabelle Boulay - Parle-Moi*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXXyyYVxqOw

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Did someone say "jazz"? Here's a track I always thought was fun; it's got a joyous lively feel to it, and every now and then you hear the musicians sort of cheering each other on. This is Charles Mingus,

"Better Git It In Your Soul" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPoK1lryfh4&feature=PlayList&p=1F1A39C3CE7149B4&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=1

Mingus is indeed a jazz great. Did you know that in his early years he had to become a mail man in order to pay the bills? Red Norvo had to get him to quick so he could become part of the Red Norvo Trio with Tal Farlow around 1955. This is one of the greatest trios in my opinion (the best without a piano by far).

Mingus wasn't only a great bass player but also very good composer. I play a few of his songs like Pork Pie Hat. His songs have some funk in them which was unique for the times (like Horrace Silver).

Mingus always did do a lot of talking to himself while playing.

Ahh, Cleo Laine is lovely. My favorite song she does is *Bill*. Love when she really goes for those high notes.

I wish I could find some exemplary versions (meaning ones I like) on youtube of Willow Weep For Me, and When Sunny Gets Blue. No small connections to Bluesette is there...

How about Peggy Lee's I'm Gonna Go Fishin' (and catch me a trout), I had no luck whatsoever in finding that one. Actually I'm not entirely sure that's the title of the song, oh well.

Then there's the Four Freshmen's Candy, divine! The Freshmen it was famously said sounded like the band.

I love "Willow, Weep for Me". I think it is one of the most mysterious, moody songs ever. To me, the ultimate version is by Frank Sinatra. There's no video to accompany this, but he sings it so poignantly, you get the visuals in your own mind. (or maybe I'm just on drugs.)

Oh she does a great Willow Weep for Me.

Are you named for the Four Freshman song? I just discovered it :

I love the Hi Lo's. My dad had their albums when I was a kid, and I just loved them:

I wish you could hear their incredibly complex harmonies better. It's worth it to get them on album or CD if they are available in that format. I recommend the album Love Nest . It has the swoony romantic songs I love, with those gorgeous harmonies.

Edited by: JackFavell on Jul 13, 2010 8:24 PM