Sign in to follow this  
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

932 posts in this topic

Bongo Botrako.

And for good reasons.

It doesn't matter if you don't speak Spanish, chipirón, just get up and dance like no one's is watching in front of everybody, because The Sun Comes Out Every Day

Indulging in a yen for Cat Stevens lately. So refreshing. No one like that around anymore. That's a guy I'd be honored to ride the same plane with.

(Whereas, I wouldn't invite a corpor-ified bro-rock miming musical drone of today to eat dinner with me; heck I wouldn't even call an ambulance if one slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside my address).

:huh:

p.s. Mahler: being a fan of Mahler used to get laughs among the music-lovers' community way back when. He was always considered too cerebral and passionless compared to the three B's; and then of course his famous battle for head of the NBC Symphony orchestra wherein (I recall) he lost out to Arturo Toscanini.

His rep as analytic and neurotic; seems unfounded to me --based more on his personality, mannerisms and lifestyle than anything else. After all, like Schubert and Rachmaninoff and Vaugh-Williams, he incorporated vernacular rhythms into his compositions.

My favorite Mahler symphony is #4 (theme of "Childhood"). Astounding well-structured; but still melodic and emotional. His others rank variously in my estimation but his #4 is thunderingly, quakingly good. I took my girlfriend to see it live and she bawled her eyes out. What I am I saying, so did I