movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

990 posts in this topic

Bongo Botrako.

And for good reasons.

It doesn't matter if you don't speak Spanish, chipirón, just get up and dance like no one's is watching in front of everybody, because The Sun Comes Out Every Day

Indulging in a yen for Cat Stevens lately. So refreshing. No one like that around anymore. That's a guy I'd be honored to ride the same plane with.

(Whereas, I wouldn't invite a corpor-ified bro-rock miming musical drone of today to eat dinner with me; heck I wouldn't even call an ambulance if one slipped and fell on an icy sidewalk outside my address).

:huh:

p.s. Mahler: being a fan of Mahler used to get laughs among the music-lovers' community way back when. He was always considered too cerebral and passionless compared to the three B's; and then of course his famous battle for head of the NBC Symphony orchestra wherein (I recall) he lost out to Arturo Toscanini.

His rep as analytic and neurotic; seems unfounded to me --based more on his personality, mannerisms and lifestyle than anything else. After all, like Schubert and Rachmaninoff and Vaugh-Williams, he incorporated vernacular rhythms into his compositions.

My favorite Mahler symphony is #4 (theme of "Childhood"). Astounding well-structured; but still melodic and emotional. His others rank variously in my estimation but his #4 is thunderingly, quakingly good. I took my girlfriend to see it live and she bawled her eyes out. What I am I saying, so did I

I'm on a big jag lately of revisiting the music of Cat Stevens.

My god, so refreshing in this age of dispirited, soulless, digital listlessness.

What a man, what an individual, what a human being. There's no music with 'heart' or 'message' like that anymore.

Who is gonna try and tell me music has improved any since his LPs came and went?

I'll go even further: True or false, the copycat/commercial digital era has killed the essential spirit behind all music-making which goes back to Holocene man or even older!!

I love Cole Porter's unsavory, fun, not-politically-correct-at-all song lyrics!

This is the honey-throated Lee Wiley singing 'Find Me a Primitive Man' backed by Bunnie Berrigan's orch!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, before this modern idea had burst
About the women and children first,
The men had much more charm than they have today.

And if only one of that type survived,
The very moment that he arrived,
I know I'd fall in love in a great big way.

I can't imagine being bad
With any Arrow collar ad,
Nor could I take the slightest joy
In waking up a college boy.

I've no desire to be alone
With Rudy Vallee's megaphone,
So when I'm saying my prayers, I say:

Find me a primitive man,
Built on a primitive plan.

Someone with vigor and vim.
I don't mean a kind that belongs to a club,
But the kind that has a club that belongs to him.

I could be the personal slave
Of someone just out of a cave.

The only man who'll ever win me
Has gotta wake up the gypsy in me,

Find me a primitive man,
Find me a primitive man.

Find me a primitive man,
Find me a forthright young lad,
Someone with vigor to spare,
Those fatuous beaux they call gigolos could never give me happiness.
I must have a gorgeous beast
To heat up my own central heat.

And he who aspires to be my stud
Must reawake my gypsy blood.
Find me a primitive man.

38 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I love Cole Porter's unsavory, fun, not-politically-correct-at-all song lyrics!

This is the honey-throated Lee Wiley singing 'Find Me a Primitive Man' backed by Bunnie Berrigan's orch!

I also love Cole Porter.   For me he is the most 'complete' American song writer.   'Complete' in the sense I love his witty and NOT PC lyrics and niffy melodies (and therefore recordings by singers like Sinatra,  O'Day, etc..)  and his harmonic structure (which makes playing the songs as instrumentals in a jazz vein challenging and fun).

Most of my other favorites were teams where one guy wrote the music and the other the lyrics.  I love these cats (Gershwin bros, Roger and Hart, and later with Hammerstein,  Kern with various lyricist, especially Mercer, etc..),  but few could 'do it all' like Porter.

• Like 1

So true. When someone like Noel Coward (himself hardly a slouch) gives you admiration, homage, and props...you know you're the cat's pajamas. The Noel Man is another fearless lyricist.

Two weeks ago we were talking about Julie Andrews in 'Star!' and I should have said how much I actually dig the score for that musical. It was all jake to my ears.

2 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

So true. When someone like Noel Coward (himself hardly a slouch) gives you admiration, homage, and props...you know you're the cat's pajamas. The Noel Man is another fearless lyricist.

Two weeks ago we were talking about Julie Andrews in 'Star!' and I should have said how much I actually dig the score for that musical. It was all jake to my ears.

Have you seen the film Surprise Package?  This 1960 comedy features Yul Brynner,  Noel Coward and Mizi Gaynor.   Yul is really funny, Noel plays a king and his is royal self, and Mizi is funny and never looked better  (e.g. many scenes clearly designed to feature her figure).  

Noel sings the title song with a jazz band and it is really hip.  My favorite era of jazz is from 53 - 61 and this song feature that style in spades.    

• Like 1

If you want you can sit and watch

me sobbing in my scotch

tonight I'll be crying in my beer

another one bartender bring it here

and leave a little room at the top

for all these fresh teardrops

I'll be crying out my eyeballs in a steady row of highballs

she's out shooting the rapids in another man's canoe

She made her bed, and she can lie in it,

cuz now she's got another guy in it

Eartha Kitt

Really, really good nightclub songs like "Mink, Schmink", "I Want to be Evil", and "My Heart Belongs to Daddy"

...happiness is not a thing that you can buy...you can't get it 'retail', honey--why try?

eartha-kitt.jpg

Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady

(apologies for "bumping an old thread" --even though everyone else has been doing it as well?)

17 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Bob Welch - Sentimental Lady

(apologies for "bumping an old thread" --even though everyone else has been doing it as well?)

Ok,  now I need to comment on this 'old thread' theme;    I believe it is A-OK to bump up old threads related to movies or other topics that are topical.   Also there are continual type threads like this one; I.e. they are never 'old' by default.     As you may recall when you first joined I welcomed that you were revising those type of threads (mainly so I could see what I wrote years ago and if my POV had changed).

BUT I do understand why the community here isn't happy about old threads related to the death of an actor.   These threads cause confusion (hey,  Frank Gorshin just died,,,, didn't he pass years ago,,,,).    It would be great if you can avoid doing that,  but hey,  to each his own  (because to me the push back you got for doing so was just as over the top).

To say that all is A-OK, I'm posting one of my favorite songs (but usually I only play this for my wife!!!).

Thanks. As I explained, it's certainly not as if I would even think about --much less set out to -- repeatedly bring up old 'RIP' threads. Preposterous.

49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ok,  now I need to comment on this 'old thread' theme;    I believe it is A-OK to bump up old threads related to movies or other topics that are topical.   Also there are continual type threads like this one; I.e. they are never 'old' by default.     As you may recall when you first joined I welcomed that you were revising those type of threads (mainly so I could see what I wrote years ago and if my POV had changed).

BUT I do understand why the community here isn't happy about old threads related to the death of an actor.   These threads cause confusion (hey,  Frank Gorshin just died,,,, didn't he pass years ago,,,,).    It would be great if you can avoid doing that,  but hey,  to each his own  (because to me the push back you got for doing so was just as over the top).

I also generally have no problem with reviving old threads. I do it myself on occasion, although often not from that far back. However, I get irritated when a thread is bumped merely to post "Never heard of him", or it references some commercial from 15 years ago that no one remembers, or as you said, an old obit thread. In a few of those instances, after someone posted about the seemingly pointless behavior of bumping a decade old thread only for a poster to say that they didn't know who someone was or making a lame joke, the bumpee would then try to comment on some other aspect of the original thread, be it racial movie habits or the knowledge of younger generations for classic cinema. If that later justification was truly the impetus for bumping the old thread, maybe the poster could try stating that in their first post instead of a "who is that?" banality, or better yet, start a new thread on the subject they wish to discuss.

I'm not sure what was said after I logged out last night, as most of the comments or threads seem to have been deleted. But perhaps some of the complaints aren't just about thread bumping, and may be symptomatic of a profound dislike of some posters' style or way of expressing themselves. I know I've been the target of that kind of animus, as have you.

21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I also generally have no problem with reviving old threads. I do it myself on occasion, although often not from that far back. However, I get irritated when a thread is bumped merely to post "Never heard of him", or it references some commercial from 15 years ago that no one remembers, or as you said, an old obit thread. In a few of those instances, after someone posted about the seemingly pointless behavior of bumping a decade old thread only for a poster to say that they didn't know who someone was or making a lame joke, the bumpee would then try to comment on some other aspect of the original thread, be it racial movie habits or the knowledge of younger generations for classic cinema. If that later justification was truly the impetus for bumping the old thread, maybe the poster could try stating that in their first post instead of a "who is that?" banality, or better yet, start a new thread on the subject they wish to discuss.

I'm not sure what was said after I logged out last night, as most of the comments or threads seem to have been deleted. But perhaps some of the complaints aren't just about thread bumping, and may be symptomatic of a profound dislike of some posters' style or way of expressing themselves. I know I've been the target of that kind of animus, as have you.

The moderator deleted the thread because I called his azz out for being the same poster as Cavegirl and Rip Murdock and Gordon Cole. :)