Sign in to follow this  
movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

930 posts in this topic

That was so cute, thanks Jack! Beautiful song isn't it!!!

The Beach Boys Dad schooled them in The Freshmen. Easy to see the style. I got a kick out of Joy Philbin once saying that the Freshmen sang at her high school graduation party, well guess what, they sang at mine too (a later version, but same glorious sound).

I love jazz in three quarter time, here are the lyrics to Fishin', try and "hear" them in waltz time:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/im-gonna-go-fishin-lyrics-ella-fitzgerald.html

Here's a great Jazz Waltz by Bill Evans:

Then there's Brubeck's Take Five...

UH, I wish I knew how to cut and paste more than one thing at a time.

That's awesome, Poinciana! I don't even think anyone famous sang at our graduation party.

Loved the Bill Evans waltz, and those words to Gone Fishin' made me laugh.

I like 3/4 time jazz too.... but I thought I might go in a slightly different direction than jazz.

Well Take 5 is actually in 68 time but it does still have that waltz feel.

I would say the most famous 34 time tune performed as a jazz standard would be My Favorite Things and then West Coast Blues by Wes, but Bluesette is also a great one. Also check out Afro Blue by Coltrane.

I love to play songs in 34 time since one can make them have that combination of a waltz feel and swing at the same time.

Nah, I'd give most popular vote to Someday My Prince Will Come. There isn't a jazz musician who hasn't played that one at some point or other.

My Favourite Things, courtesy of John Coltrane:

Someday, My Prince Will Come, coutesy of Miles Davis:

From two of the best jazz albums of all time.

JJG,

There used to be free jazz concerts in Eagle Rock once a month at a high school auditorium. Since we lived in Pas, it was easy. Very nice to see and hear Mundell Lowe perform.

You know, it's the middle of July, about 35 degrees (that's around 80 degrees Fahrenheit ) where I live. A very warm summer night. And yet, I feel a distinct chill for some reason.

Miss W,

I'm sorry you feel a chill. I appreciate all your posts and loved the Coltrane and Davis links. THX!

PS Most of us get that chilly feeling now and then on here, it's the nature of the beast I guess.

I think I' m too egotistical. If you think about it, it's normal in regular person-to-person conversation that not everyone gets an answer to everything they say, every time. It's kind of the same thing here. I should keep that in mind. :)

Good to know there are so many jazz fans out there.

Someday My Prince Will Come is very popular but since it is a Disney song many of us jazz 'cats' don't feel it is a hip tune i.e. it is somewhat corny. The Coltrane version of My Favorite Things is known as one of the his biggest recordings and always rated very high in jazz ratio station polls. So while My Favorite Things wouldn't be considered hip either after Coltrane did it, it became the standard waltz tune many jazz players would play.

It is great that Mundel Lowe is still performing. I went to his 70th birthday party a few years back and it was great. I have seen him many times over the last 30 years. He is such a nice down to earth guy as well as a great jazz guitar player.

I'll have to check out these Eagle Rock concerts. Now I live in the OC but about 2 months ago I found out I had 3 'new' brothers and a sister (long story but dad got around!), and they live in that area. So I'll contact them and see if they wish to join me. I can kill two birds so to speak since we are just 'learning' how to build a relationship after not knowning the other even existed after 30 years!

It's kind of funny that the two biggest jazz waltzes are from the schmaltziest sources. :D

Ah well, a good song is a good song.

Yea that is funny. This is why I like to play these type of songs for people. Many people don't know jazz well and thus jazz classics (even people over the age of 50), but they know songs like the two you mention or Somewhere Over the Rainbow and other tunes made famous by movies kids of all generations watch.

So I'll play these songs and make sure I play the melody straight. We can still get crazy and swing during the solos but the melody is the hook and all music needs a hook. I also do this with many Beatles tunes.

Charlie Christian played jazz guitar back in the old days, 30s, early 40s. One of the first famous jazz guitarists. Here he is. Lots of nice black and white photos of the band and the nightclub they were playing in. All we need is George Raft in the audience.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 20, 2010 9:59 AM

Charlie Christian was one of the first to use the electric guitar.

And I love Benny Goodman. Every group he ever had really knew how to swing and move and he was one of the first to integrate. That man could drink like a fish, too, though you'd never know it listening to him play.

This is a beautiful song, lyrics by the great Johnny Mercer. My mum used to sing this when she was washing the dishes:

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 20, 2010 3:42 PM

Charlie did influence most jazz guitar players that followed him. Too bad he died at age 22.

I love the tune Rose Room and it is the one Goodman song we play. The other guitar player I play with can play the Christian part note for note!

Since people were talking about waltzes recently, here is a very beautiful waltz by Hector Berlioz. Change of pace from jazz or popular music. This is classical music, from Berlioz' Symphony Fantastique . The story that goes with this symphony is fascinating, and would actually, if done right, make a great movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMeVfAbfG3M&feature=related

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 22, 2010 6:24 PM

Dear MissWonderly that was a lovely post. Thanks.

Another song popular during the civil war. The song has great emotional attachment for me. I

live within sight of lake Pontchartrain, or it would be in sight if the levee wasn't in the way.

*Acustica Medievale - The Lakes of Pontchartrain*

A modern civil war song from Lisa Godino

*Lisa Godino - Chaplain*

The hymn of the unentheusiastic soldier from WWI (The clean version). From a movie I don't think has ever been shown on TCM (shame).

*Soundtrack - When This Lousy War is Over*

...and there they go, once again, our young men marching off into the sunset.

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Over the last couple of months I have been stocking up on remastered albums of The Beatles and The Moody Blues. What a difference. They are all so much crisper and cleaner. What a nice surprise to find music that I have listened to, for some, as long as 40 years and still find things I never heard before.

"Long Distance Voyager" is a sentimental favorite as it was an early date night for my bride and me. Most recent was "The Beatles" (White Album.) Some songs were a whole new experience.