movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

1,025 posts in this topic

As I recall it was written to be played outdoors and for a military band. I am not sure it was so much a funeral as the bodies of the soldiers being honored had been exhumed and brought back to Paris. (That is based on my recollection of the liner notes on my record album.)

I believe there was a later arrangement that added strings but am not sure and have certainly never heard it so that may not be accurate. In my recording of it there is no chorus near the end of the piece so that was a surprise for me.

Glad to know you went to the time and trouble to listen. Thanks for writing about it.

Alice Cooper song "Poison."

Just bought a used DVD of an album I should have bought eons ago: Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of the Moon."

Love those old blues guys. Rhythm and blues guys.

For some reason, even though this song has the word "summer" in the title, I think of it more as an autumn song. Maybe because it's more about summer 's being over than beginning.Like the singer's romance. This song has fantastic arrangements, especially the snappy horns and the zig-zaggy sounding strings. Frank Sinatra, "Summer Breeze":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwJlv0Bljg

Beethoven's "Missa Solemnis." It's pretty good if you like vocal works but it sounds more like Haydn than Beethoven. It's late enough in his life that it was a surprise.

I would "Die for You" by Garbage, followed by "21st Century Breakdown" by Greenday. It's Alternative night...

Working my way through the 13 CD set of the *Sibelius* 50th anniversary collection. Wonderful. One of the highlights (among many) for me is his Incidental music from the drama 'Kuolema', particularly *Scene with cranes*. Sad but lovely music.

Very much in the same groove is the adagietto from Mahler's 5th Symphony of which the Sibelius piece reminded me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXoADUoYy4&feature=related

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Let It Be and Beatles For Sale. The clarity is amazing. Obvious separation in the channels on Beatles For Sale. The harmonies sound clear and better than ever. You can almost hear the contact on the acoustic guitar strings. Like the others there is more to find than you may have known.

Let It Be is not my favorite Beatles album but songs like "I've Got A Feeling" and "Get Back" sound more lively. The strings in "I, Me, Mine" are more noticeable.

For how wonderful it is having a car stereo and an ipod (which is holding on for now) to listen to them on your regular stereo with a good pair of speakers should be revisited now and again. It's quite different.

I agree, movieman, the remastered Beatles albums that came out last year are a joy to hear ( over and above the fact that the Beatles are always a joy to hear) due to the clarity of the remastered tracks. I can pick up little audio details I never noticed before. Here's one of my favourite tracks from Beatles for Sale, "Baby's in Black". I really like the way the lyrics to this are reminiscent of a nursery rhyme.

(I have to agree with one of the comments on the clip: they say they don't notice much difference in the clarity -I think it's because it's being listened to on computer speakers. I do get the improved audio quality better on the CD, playing on my speakers (as opposed to computer, car, ipod -as you said.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Oct 26, 2010 12:45 PM

It's autumn, and I am listening to Nick Drake's *Five Leaves Left*. Here is the entire album. It's worth buying just to listen to it straight through. It's a beautiful, sad, wonderful work.

Time Has Told Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1tWbJtBpyE

River Man:

Three Hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so20ilu5Fxw

Way to Blue:

Day is Done:

Cello Song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1YsFgDaEeo

The Thoughts of Mary Jane:

Man in a Shed:

Fruit Tree:

Saturday Sun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so8JnFoYh5o

Edited by: JackFavell on Oct 30, 2010 4:33 PM

"Una voce poco fa", Il Barbiere de Siviglia, sung by Conchita Supervia of Mexico, 1927.

Dear Jack, thanks for the Nick Drake selection, a disturbed man who died too young.

From one Nick Drake fan to another may I recommend you check out the late John Martyn, particularly his wonderful 1973 'Solid Air' album.

John wrote the title track for his friend Nick Drake.

*John Martyn - Solid Air*

*John Martyn - May You Never*

*John Martyn - Over The Hill*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWyMO6HQLzY

Best wishes

Metairie Road

Re "Una voce poco fa" Supervia is Superbia, lovely rendition, thanks for that, Fred. I'm sure you and others may recognize this from Citizen Kane, the music lesson scene, "No, no, no, no ...," screams the music teacher at poor Susan Alexander. Mr Kane had something to say about that (as we all well know). :)

Thanks for the John Martyn songs - I did not know him. I guess the links between all of these people are Joe Boyd and Danny Thompson. They worked together, and Boyd produced Martyn, Drake and Fairport Convention. I am going to dive into the John Martyn stuff, so thanks very much!

Are you a Richard Thompson fan as well? I have seen him many times and just love his playing.

I have on Great Performances in the background. Pierre Boulez conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing Gustav Mahler's 7th Symphony. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Parts of it make me think of the music in "Leave Her to Heaven."

> {quote:title=laffite wrote:}{quote}

> Re "Una voce poco fa" Supervia is Superbia, lovely rendition, thanks for that, Fred. I'm sure you and others may recognize this from Citizen Kane, the music lesson scene, "No, no, no, no ...," screams the music teacher at poor Susan Alexander. Mr Kane had something to say about that (as we all well know). :)

Hi, thanks.

I love old classic songs and opera music. Here is some more:

Amelita Galli-Curci sings La Paloma

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAnmqAbfIBE

Amelita Galli-Curci - Lucia di Lammermoor: Sextet - Chi Mi Frena (with Gigli, Homer and De Luca), 1927:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4CdxdjQDrc&feature=related

Maria Callas - La Traviata, 1953:

Amelita Galli-Curci - Rigoletto Quartet - Bella Figlia Dell Amore ( Gigli, Homer, De Luca) Take 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMLjaOEvpR4&feature=related

Enrico Caruso, sound film synchronized with recording, 1908, Lucia di Lammermoor.

Maria Callas- Una voce poco fa, 1958:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuEmJZzuG9U

Conchita Superv?a sings La Paloma:

Elvira De Hidalgo sings La Paloma.

1934 British film, Conchita Supervia sings Boheme aria:

Background information:

"Evensong" -- a British film (directed by Victor Saville), adapted from a tell-all novelization of Nellie Melba's life, with a plot resembling "All About Eve". The Eve Harrington/Anne Baxter character is the great Spanish mezzo, Conchita Supervia (1895-1936). Supervia plays "Baba L'Etoile", the young rival of the aging British has-been "Madame Irela" (Evelyn Laye), who refers to the younger singer as a "Spanish cow". Supervia has a very small part in this film, but most of it is singing, and her distinctive vibrato is in full throttle here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025092/

More from this 1934 film:

Gigli in "Ballo" aria from "Solo Per Te", 1938 Italian film:

Il grande soprano Erna Sack - Nanon - Film 1938 Germany

1934, British film, ?A Song for You?,

Hi, *Fred*, I watched/listened to them all except the Callas, I have so much of her...but I'll check them out. She was a pupil of Elvira de Hidalgo (I learn). The montage in the Elvira clip showed photos of Maria when she was younger and plumper than we are used to seeing her (I love her that way!). I like the old singers too. They sound so sweet. It was either the way they sung or the way they were recorded but their voices sounded so girlish and cute. Lily Ponds comes across that way too. La Paloma, that great Spanish song. I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I'm not sure I knew the title of that one, but of course, so familiar, the quintessential Spanish tune. I have recordings of Galli-Gurci and Beniamino Gigli, a favorite tenor (Pavarotti idolized him). A very nice little program you put together there for us, Fred, thanks.

Hi *Jackie* your remark about Callas is so true. There is a clip on ClassicArtsShowcase (see link below for info on CAS) that turns up periodically. Callas is shown singing an aria (Ouch, can't think of the name right now) in a concert setting where she doesn't come in until about three minutes after the music begins. She doesn't just stand there but experiences the music with her face which, yes, many opera singers can do...but not like this, she is uncommonly real, no putting on, she is experiencing the music on the fly, so to speak, and absolutely convincing. A show of her professionalism and commitment and she's not even singing yet, whew!.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Arts_Showcase

Hey, *Maven* , so cool that you were taking in a little Mahler (albiet in the "background" ;) . I'm sorry I missed that and I'm scanning the schedule. PBS sometimes repeats programs. I love Mahler and I used your post as a cue and listened to the entire Seventh---all 79 minutes---on the iPod at work Sunday evening thinking from time to time, hmm, I wonder where the Maven was (in the music) when she wrote that. I'll have to check out that movie. :)

Edited by: laffite on Nov 1, 2010 12:21 AM

laffite, I love Mahler. I must admit, I may not have discovered his music on my own-I had help. My father loved classical music, and Mahler was one of his favourtie composers. My dad used to play his classical music (records, of course, back then) on Sunday afternoons.I particularly remember with great affection his sharing Mahler's 4th symphony with me, probably not only because the music is so sweet and comparatively accessible to a young kid, but also because it has a bit of a story to it. The fourth movement of this symphony contains some of the most heavenly music for soprano singing ever.

Here is one version of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUhIZFoAgGE

Mahler is tough for some people to get into. I think a lot of them it is the length of his work. Some of my group didn't want to do the concerts this year because it was heavy on Mahler.

When I go on a long trip I'll usually take along Mahler's 8th. It's big and maybe close to 1 1/2 hours so a trip is the perfect time for it.

I am not so much a fan of his 9th but the 4th is lovely and I like the 5th and 6th as well. Wonderful music but I often have to be in the right frame of mind for it. If I don't have time to listen to it all I won't start it.

*misswonderly* : The Fourth was my entry-level piece for Mahler as well. As you say, it is relatively accessible and probably the best recommendation for anyone starting out. My favorite is Szell/Cleveland with Judith Raskin, soprano. The tempo is a bit slower than the clip you provided. It seems more beautiful to me that way but it?s the one I grew up with and it has become imprinted as the definitive for me. You are probably aware of the nice double entendre you made with the use of the word ?heavenly? to describe the music because if you know the story (as you imply) then you know that the song in the fourth movement is a child?s vision of Heaven. Maybe that was your meaning. But even if not, the music is ?heavenly? nonetheless, as you also mean to say, I?m sure. :)

*Chris* : The Eighth is so moving, so utterly transporting for me, that I become totally consumed by it. If Mahler ever out did himself, this might be the piece. My favorite is the first Bernstein version. He has the perfect understanding of the music (based on my version of perfect ;) . The opening movement of the Ninth is tough but I finally got it (or getting it, it?s a process) after listening to Benjamin Zander?s discussion of it on CD. His discussion is included with the CDs of his music recording of same. He has also done this with #3, #4, and perhaps others as well. The talks can be quite long (the first movement of the Ninth takes 54 minutes) but they are worth it for anyone really interested. As for Mahler symphonies, I?m very familiar with One, Three, Four, Five, Six, Eight, with Two and Seven as nagging holdouts, although some parts of these last two have hit home. (You must try the Adagio from the Tenth sometime, very beautiful?and eerie in some places.)

Edited by: laffite on Nov 1, 2010 12:34 PM

I have an old cassette recording of Szell of Mahler's 4th. My mind went dead on who recorded the 8th. You are right about the 8th being a very moving piece. I always just take the choir as if it were another instrument. I remember seeing a TV presentation of it years ago and they had musicians and singers spread out all over the cathedral or hall (I don't remember which) but the size of it complimented the beauty of it well.

I think the last movement of the 9th is what I don't find that appealing. I haven't listened to it in some time but I remember it struck me as repetitive and I don't think I cared much for the theme. I just never went back to it.

I do have a tape (copied) of "Song of The Earth." That is different from the 7th? It has been some time since I listened to it. I was on a completist kick on the major composers (with limits on certain composers i.e. Mozart and Haydn - too many) some time ago but that didn't mean I listened to them faithfully.

This year, I think, is the 100th anniversary of his death so there should be some to listen to around your radio dial.

Light some incense and get into lotus position (if your arthritis will allow you). We're going on a trip.

My favorite relaxation music.

*Sheila Chandra - A Sailor's Life* from *The Zen Kiss* CD. Some of you may know the Fairport version.

*Shaman's Dream - Durga Shakti*. Musical water.

*Mouth Music - Fraoch A Ronaigh*. Sung by the amazing Talitha McKenzie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqY3qpNMx9c

*David Byrne and Brian Eno - Quran*. Considered blasphemous in some quarters.

Clap-clap

*Laurie Anderson - Let X=X*. To end this trip into the weird zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByLk6cwEsoU

Goodnight and God bless

Metairie Road

Richard Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto. A short very Rachmaninoff-like piece (on purpose) written for the film "Dangerous Moonlight." Very dramatic and enjoyable.