movieman1957

What Are You Listening To?

1,025 posts in this topic

Today TCM is airing a tribute documentary about the great jazz musician, Dave Brubeck. Here are two lovely tracks from his album, "Jazz Impressions of New York". This recording is not as well-known as some others of his, and some critics say there's a reason for that. But I disagree, I think the entire album is very fine, Here's "Autumn in New York".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYmoNVvyI40

I was also going to post another track from that same album, "Upstage Rhumba", it's great ! However, youtube doesn't seem to have it, so here's something more well-known by him, "Unsquare Dance" :

Edited by: misswonderly on Dec 6, 2010 5:42 PM

Sibelius' 4th Symphony. It's been a while for this one. It has a lovely first and third movement lead with violas and cellos. Not so much themes as motifs and atmosphere. A lively second movement almost seems out of place. The finale is more like the second movement and thing all ends rather abruptly.

I am more a fan of the traditional 2nd and 5th.

John Barry died today.

I love his work. Some of my favorite things to listen to are the soundtracks from "Dances With Wolves" and "Playing By Heart." Two collections of instrumentals called "The Beyondness of Things" and Eternal Echoes" are frequently on my ipod because they are so beautiful and soothing to listen to.

If you are looking for something good of his to listen to and you are new to him try to get a copy of "Moviola." When my daughter was young she loved to go to sleep to it.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> What instrument does she play?

Actually, she sings. A lovely dark alto voice. She and the rest of the group who went did very well--1's and 2's across the board in class A (in Ohio they are rated 4-1 with 1 being highest and class A being the most difficult)

Thanks! I'd love to know where she got her voice, though--I can carry a tune, but my voice is very ordinary and her father can't even do that.

I was listening to some 78s by Lee Morse from the 1920s and 30s that I have in my collection and remembered that she also made a few shots for Paramount in the early 1930s, here's one:

I enjoyed the Lee Morse a lot - what a distinctive voice!

Here's another Morse - Ella Mae: