FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,452 posts in this topic

I?ve seen Robin Hood many times, so I?m watching a DVD of ?Heat Lightening? right now. I recorded it off TCM a few months ago.

This is a great movie, filled with interesting characters. It?s a little similar to ?The Petrified Forest?, but it's more similar to "One Crowded Night" (1940).

Most of the evening I have been watching a British police drama called "Wire In The Blood." Very interesting. Think "Criminal Minds" with a bit of a twist.

(As I write the Orioles are blowing another late inning lead to give the Red Sox a chance to win. No surprise there.)

Edited by: movieman1957 on Apr 24, 2010 9:45 PM. You think I'd get the title right.

Last night I watched two of the George Raft movies TCM was featuring, "Background to Danger" and "Invisible Stripes". They were both very good. I'd never thought much about George Raft before, but now I have a new respect for him (not that I disrespected him before, I just didn't have any opinion, really).

"Background to Danger" was especially enjoyable,maybe because Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre were both in it.Plus it was directed by Raoul Walsh, so how can you go wrong?

"Invisible Stripes" cast included William Holden. A very early role for him. What a babyface! He looks so different from how he looks in his later films, I don't know if I would have recognized him if I hadn't known he was in it. (He also looks like a very young kid in "Golden Boy", made the same year, I believe.)

Movieman1957: I'm a Blue Jays fan, myself.

Edited by: misswonderly on May 1, 2010 8:59 PM

*Most of the evening I have been watching a British police drama called "Wire In The Blood."* - movieman1957

Aaauuuggghhh! You had my hopes up that BBC America had produced some new episodes. *Wire in the Blood* , *Antiques Roadshow* , and *Top Gear* are the only shows on BBC that were worth my time, and I reaallllly miss *Wire* . Bit of a twist? Nah, it's just twisted. :-)

Fred, since beginning renovations on the house, I haven't watched a complete movie for the past month. I did manage to watch a recording of *Deadliest Catch* four days after its air date. Just too much to do, and worry about, to sit down and relax. "Native American Images on Film" (and John Ford) this month could be out for me.

Sorry. We were looking for something to watch on Netflix and my bride just picked "Wire In The Blood" out of the blue. It's really good. Never heard of it. Don't know anyone in it. We've been through the three of the first season and have the second season lined up.

I hope you will tell me what you think of it.

I just finished watching FAIL SAFE. Walter Matthau is the real star, and Nancy Berg is memorable in a brief role. (Matthau's character is even more intriguing in the novel.)

I'm now watching an episode from the Emma Peel Megaset.

Just finished The Blind Side from Netflix. We are generally NOT new movie fans, so hard to find a decent one without swearing, buckets of blood, sex, nudity, idiotic story lines, overdone special effects and so forth. This movie is outstanding. I am still in awe that this was a true story. Absolutely amazing. I believe the last new movie we liked was Crash. Have viewed that three times now.

BTW we are Cub fans. We just won 5 to 4!!

> {quote:title=audreyforever wrote:}{quote}

> I just finished my DVR Recording of A Tale of Two Cities that was on back in March. Has this film ever been an Essential???

If it hasn't been, it sure should. Though, hopefully, they could find a better print for it next time.

If they made it an Essential, and especially if they found a better print for it, it would be a far, far, better thing they have done than they have ever done before.

Last night I watched *Things to Come (1936)* and *The Ghost Train (1941)*. I started on

*Beyond Tomorrow (1940)* but fell asleep halfway through - will finish this afternoon.

I began with *Rocketship XM (1950)*, paused it to watch *Random Harvest (1942)* and continuing on with *Madame Curie (1943)* - it's a good night at the movies.

On the Beach (1959)

Maybe it's because I was raised during the Cold War with all the duck-and-cover exercises in our classrooms and weekly air raid siren alerts. Maybe it was because I was raised right up there along with nuclear power and nuclear warfare; rockets and spaceships. This film fulfills a need of some kind. A need to play out all the threats to their possible conclusions. A need to know, on some level, what if..?

A crush on Clint? Nooooo. :) That's ok. I had a thing for Inger, and she looked so good in this movie. I really like Ed Begley. He always looks like a psycho ready to unload on someone.. anyone.

*On The Bowery (1957)*

I'm really enjoying how well this is depicted. I've volunteered at homeless shelters and seen plenty of this on the streets surrounding them. Sad to say.