FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,685 posts in this topic

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.09.37 PM.jpg

I'm watching new episodes of the Scottish detective series Shetland on Britbox.

The scenery is amazing.

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 7.08.50 PM.jpg

The Intruder, by Roger Corman, starring William Shatner. TCM should program this movie and interview the two of them. 

• Like 1

Right now I am watching "The Time Tunnel" (for the first time) w/ dreamy James Darren on Hulu.  I found out about this show via a Me-TV Facebook post! Can't go wrong with Moondoggie and time travel. 

• Haha 1

Trying to make my way through the Marvel tv shows on Netflix. I thoroughly enjoyed "Jessica Jones," and I've finished it, much to my disappointment. I'm hoping the other shows will end up being as good as this one, but somehow I doubt it. 

Someone uploaded GOOD SAM (1948) on YouTube. It's been over five years since I've seen it (I think TCM premiered it back on Christmas 2012). This is an interesting misfire and maybe a film I should review at some point in the Essentials thread. If anything it's an "essential flop."

23 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This is an interesting misfire

It's funny that you mentioned this today..earlier I was looking through the Classic Reel ap on Roku, and noticed this (I've never seen it) ..didn't have time today, but thought I might watch later just for Ann Sheridan

On 1/7/2018 at 11:52 PM, shutoo said:

I have season one..I think it's from Shout (like the other seasons)..had it for years..says 35th Anniversary edition along the bottom.  Came with a little booklet listing original air dates, has mtm copyright.  I'm a big MTM fan too..I think I know every line of dialogue and every outfit she and Rhoda wore for the first 4 seasons..after those, I can count favorites on one hand.  My favorite scene from 'The Lars Affair', hehe  Image result for sue ann nivens

"Oh, my poor baby!" ( slams door shut with her knee)

12 hours ago, shutoo said:

It's funny that you mentioned this today..earlier I was looking through the Classic Reel ap on Roku, and noticed this (I've never seen it) ..didn't have time today, but thought I might watch later just for Ann Sheridan

It's very slow...it could have benefited from better editing as some of the scenes really drag. I think McCarey's goal was to give us a slice of suburban life and how people can still be decent, but there's too much "down time" where we see minor things happening to the characters. It doesn't help there are a lot of extra supporting characters who get long scenes that take us away from Sam's family. 

It's regarded as a huge flop which I think must be an exaggeration. On the film's wiki page it seems to have made a lot of money. So maybe postwar audiences needed this kind of simple meditation about life, but today's audiences will probably find it somewhat tedious. A few reviews on the TCM database make it seem like an uplifting inspirational movie, which I don't exactly think it is. It's just commentary on the foibles of suburbia and how one man is different from his neighbors.

If I remember correctly, Osborne was not a fan of it in his wraparound comments in December 2012. He said Ann Sheridan and Gary Cooper lacked romantic chemistry, something Sheridan supposedly validated years after the film was released. But I think that's because McCarey's story is so methodical and slow that any interesting moments between husband and wife are delayed. So to me the chemistry is there, it just never gets a chance to be properly explored.

In case it sounds like I am disparaging it too much, I should say there are some charming things in the picture that do work. The opening sequence that takes place during a Sunday church service is very humorous. The two child actors who play Sam's kids are very well directed by McCarey. Louise Beavers, Edmund Lowe, Ray Collins and a young Ruth Roman all turn in decent supporting performances...so does William Frawley who plays a bar owner in the last half hour. Cooper seems to be playing himself, which is not a drawback at all. Though I feel Ann Sheridan gives the film's strongest performance.

I have finished now watching four seasons of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes which originally aired on BBC. I feel that his performances were in many ways superior to Basil Rathbone's performances. The writing of this series was superior to the movie versions and allowed him to display a greater range but I feel that does not explain fully why he was so much better. His expressiveness and living within the role clearly showed he was a better choice.

This is after watching six seasons of David Suchet as Hercule Poirot. I have watched few other portrayals of this character and never found any of them to be comparable. He owns this role in all ways.

I have casually watched a few episodes of John Nettles as DCI Tom Barnaby in Midsomer Murders and had planned to watch this series in its entirety next but they have added two seasons of QI to the menu and will watch them first.

All of these are on Britbox which is the only paid channel to which we subscribe on our Roku.

I was in the mood for something fun. Im watching “Where the Boys Are.”  It seemed to pair well with my taco salad and Lime La Croix Sparkling water. 

Now trying to keep my bird out of my water—he keeps trying to bathe in it!