FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,876 posts in this topic

Watching Clue (1985) for the second time. Last time I watched this was about a year or two ago, and I remember it fondly, so couldn't resist viewing it a second time. 

• Like 2

Just went to the library and checked out: 

Hook 

E.T. 

Star Wars (Episodes 4-6)

Smokey and the Bandit 

Bringing up Baby 

The Philadelphia Story

*all of these, I have seen before, however, I was in the mood for some good films to watch this weekend*

• Like 2

I have just finished watching: Romantic Comedy (1983).

I am not a fan of Dudley Moore but this is one of my favorite movies. It is truly Mary Steenburgen who carries this movie and is a joy to watch here.

I feel as if I should list this as a guilty pleasure because there is so very much wrong with this movie. I expected much more from Arthur Hiller and Bernard Slade. They were experts on quirky romances and so this should have been their pinnacle. The pacing is incoherently slow in many places. The dialogue often seems as if it is an outline of all the information which the audience must be learn and the writer did not feel the need to add the elements and nuances to make it also interesting. It has in many ways the traits of a supermarket-store-brand version of a Neil Simon play.

Frances Sternhagen is given little to do but be present during other characters' virtual monologues but she is wonderful with what lines she does have.

Janet Eilber plays Dudley Moore's wife and I consistently have the feeling that she was heavily involved with a serious dramatic movie on a neighboring lot and simply stepped across between shots to deliver lines here before hurrying back.

It is one of my favorite movies because it is a gentle little thing with no pretensions. There are many lines which make me smile when I think of them now. It is simply pleasant and there are times I ask no more than that. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

Watching Clue (1985) for the second time. Last time I watched this was about a year or two ago, and I remember it fondly, so couldn't resist viewing it a second time. 

I love Clue.  Do you watch all the alternate endings in a row? That's how I usually watch it.  I love the part when they shoot the singing telegram and I also love the part with the "Sha Boom Sha Boom" song.  

"Flames on the side of my face."

"I'm merely a humble butler." "What exactly do you do?" "I buttle, sir." 

On 6/23/2018 at 4:51 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

Just went to the library and checked out: 

Hook 

E.T. 

Star Wars (Episodes 4-6)

Smokey and the Bandit 

Bringing up Baby 

The Philadelphia Story

*all of these, I have seen before, however, I was in the mood for some good films to watch this weekend*

Omg.  I love Smokey and the Bandit.  Jackie Gleason makes it worth watching.

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a GD hurry." 

So many amazing Buford T. Justice quotes and so few that I can even attempt to post without getting censored. 

Bringing Up Baby seems to get a bad rap on this board, but I love the movie.  Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant are hilarious, as is Asta who plays "George." 

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Omg.  I love Smokey and the Bandit.  Jackie Gleason makes it worth watching.

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a GD hurry." 

So many amazing Buford T. Justice quotes and so few that I can even attempt to post without getting censored. 

Bringing Up Baby seems to get a bad rap on this board, but I love the movie.  Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant are hilarious, as is Asta who plays "George." 

Smokey and the Bandit never ceases to make me laugh. I agree, Gleason is the best in this one. 

Bringing up Baby was the first Katharine Hepburn or Cary Grant movie I ever watched. I loved it and watched it 3 times when I first checked it out from the library (some 4 or 5 years ago now). One thing that is nice about moving back to CA after 4 years, is that the nearby library has a fantastic movie selection. 

Watching Stage Struck on tcm on demand...Susan Strasberg is pretty awful..too many lessons maybe? Makes me feel bad for H Fonda and Herbert Marshall being in this sticky mess...

I’m watching this week’s Noir Alley feature—“Party Girl.”  It’s definitely not starting like most noir. 

So disappointed that Robert Taylor did not get a chance to dance with Cyd Charisse in MGM's musical about Al Capone.

11 hours ago, Forsyth said:

So disappointed that Robert Taylor did not get a chance to dance with Cyd Charisse in MGM's musical about Al Capone.

Robert Taylor could dance?    Sorry, but I can't picture that especially by the year Party Girl was filmed.

37 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Robert Taylor could dance?    Sorry, but I can't picture that especially by the year Party Girl was filmed.

Not to mention that his character was supposed to have a lame leg. 

Right now I'm watching Greatest Showman which I rented from RedBox.  I'd heard so much hype about this film.  It's hard to know what I'll think about new musicals.  They seem to get so much hype and acclaim, and then I'll watch them and find them very mediocre (I'm looking at you La La Land).  So far this movie is pretty good, at least the filmmakers cast people that actually know how to sing and dance. 

Greatest Showman ended up garnering a "meh" rating from me.  It started out good, but I felt like it kind of fell apart halfway through.

Now I'm watching my other RedBox selection, Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.  I have higher expectations for this film.  One thing that is interesting to me, is that pictures and film of the real Gloria Grahame were used in the film, and not pictures and film of Annette Bening as Grahame inserted into the footage.

• Like 1

I'm attempting to gather the resolve to finish Fellowship of the Ring since I just recently finished reading the book. I love LOTR, but this is not an easy task. 

Related image

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Greatest Showman ended up garnering a "meh" rating from me.  It started out good, but I felt like it kind of fell apart halfway through.

Now I'm watching my other RedBox selection, Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.  I have higher expectations for this film.  One thing that is interesting to me, is that pictures and film of the real Gloria Grahame were used in the film, and not pictures and film of Annette Bening as Grahame inserted into the footage.

We share an opinion on Greatest Showman. I don't mind the fact that it was highly fictionalized so much as I minded the fact that there seemed to be zero character development. We're introduced to all of these intriguing and fascinating "side show" characters, but we learn basically nothing about any of them. How are we supposed to sympathize or take the film seriously when the characters painted in black and white, and not color? I am an avid fan of musicals, but I am assuredly not a fan of these newer, more pop-music sounding musicals like this and La La Land (which, coincidentally, were both musically scored by Pasek and Paul, who have become more integral to the musical theater world after penning the music for Broadway's hit, "Dear Evan Hansen"). They can be entertaining enough, but they lack something I can't quite put my finger on. 

17 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

I'm attempting to gather the resolve to finish Fellowship of the Ring since I just recently finished reading the book. I love LOTR, but this is not an easy task. 

Related image

Good luck.  This might be an unpopular opinion, but I found the entire LOTR series a bore. How many battles can they have in one film? I'm not even convinced that they were separate battles. 

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Good luck.  This might be an unpopular opinion, but I found the entire LOTR series a bore. How many battles can they have in one film? I'm not even convinced that they were separate battles. 

The books are exponentially better, in my opinion. There weren't really any battles in this one (the first installment), which is a plus. 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:25 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I am an avid fan of musicals, but I am assuredly not a fan of these newer, more pop-music sounding musicals like this and La La Land 

One "pop" movie musical that I like a lot is Baz Luhrmann's MOULIN ROUGE!, which uses "modern" pop/rock songs (such as "Like A Virgin," Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Your Song") for a movie set in 1900. I know opinion is divided about this anachronistic musical choice (and about "jukebox" musicals in general), but it works for me in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 11:00 AM, HoldenIsHere said:

One "pop" movie musical that I like a lot is Baz Luhrmann's MOULIN ROUGE!, which uses "modern" pop/rock songs (such as "Like A Virgin," Smells Like Teen Spirit," and Your Song") for a movie set in 1900. I know opinion is divided about this anachronistic musical choice (and about "jukebox" musicals in general), but it works for me in the movie.

I love Moulin Rouge! Especially my boy Ewan McGregor in this film.  I saw this film when it came out.  Prior to that, I had only seen Ewan in a couple films.  I remember watching Moulin Rouge! for the first time and being blown away by how great of a singer he was.  Who knew? 

This was a great film, one of my absolute favorites of all time.  One of the best scenes is when Ewan sings "Roxanne" simultaneously with a very intense rendition of "The Tango." 

• Thanks 1