FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

3,096 posts in this topic

I’m watching “Blithe Spirit.”  I had no idea that Rex Harrison was so attractive when he was young! I guess he wasn’t called “Sexy Rexy” for nothing!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m watching “Blithe Spirit.”  I had no idea that Rex Harrison was so attractive when he was young! I guess he wasn’t called “Sexy Rexy” for nothing!

I watched this one back in September on FilmStruck. It was better than I remembered. Harrison's great but of course Margaret Rutherford walks off with the picture.

I have a lot of questions about 'Big Clock'. And I'm confident you're the man to handle my business.

Ahhh...I do so enjoy the thought of other men slaving away ...when I'm relaxing !!! :D

Horror of Dracula (1958) - Blu-ray

w/ Peter Cushing, Michael Gough, Melissa Stribling and (of course!) Christopher Lee

This is the recent Region A release from Warner Archives and contains the 2007 British Film Institute's restoration of this movie. As a matter of fact, the movie itself contained the U.K. title of Dracula rather than the U.S. title of Horror of Dracula.

• Like 1

Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972) - Blu-ray

w/ Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Stephanie Beacham, Christopher Neame, Michael Coles and (farther down the credit list) Caroline Munro

This is another recent Region A release from Warner Archives.

• Like 1

The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) - Blu-ray

w/ Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Michael Coles, Freddie Jones and Joanna Lumley

And, of course, the third and final recent Region A release from Warner Archives of the Hammer Dracula series of movies.

At this point, the only two from that series which I still don't have are Scars of Dracula (1970) and The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) which have still not been released on blu-ray in the US. But a recent posting from LawrenceA indicates the latter should become available in April and I will definitely be picking that one up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LiamCasey said:

Horror of Dracula (1958) - Blu-ray

w/ Peter Cushing, Michael Gough, Melissa Stribling and (of course!) Christopher Lee

This is the recent Region A release from Warner Archives and contains the 2007 British Film Institute's restoration of this movie. As a matter of fact, the movie itself contained the U.K. title of Dracula rather than the U.S. title of Horror of Dracula.

I bought that Blu-Ray, too, but I haven't watched it yet. How does it look? How about the others that you mention below? Is there a noticeable improvement?

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I bought that Blu-Ray, too, but I haven't watched it yet. How does it look? How about the others that you mention below? Is there a noticeable improvement?

Please note that I do not have any of these movies in a different home video format so any comparisons I make would be to what I've seen on television/cable. And on that basis all three movies looked and sounded great to me. Especially The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973). Last presentation of that one I caught was, to put it nicely but bluntly, **** material. Probably why we don't catch that one on TCM. Although the nudity may also have something to do with that! 😉

On a related note, this is also the first time I've seen the BFI restored version of The Horror of Dracula (1958). The additional footage in that version is absolutely nothing to get excited over. I hope you didn't buy it just for that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LiamCasey said:

On a related note, this is also the first time I've seen the BFI restored version of The Horror of Dracula (1958). The additional footage in that version is absolutely nothing to get excited over. I hope you didn't buy it just for that.

No, I just wanted it on Blu-ray for the better picture quality. I was more excited about the remastering than the minor added footage. 

An interesting episode of the classic series It Takes a Thief, starring Robert Wagner. Earl Holliman and Barry Sullivan are the guest stars. I never realized what a strong actor Holliman can be. He plays a paranoid security guy who goes completely bonkers on a military base. Wagner's character is sent in to bring him down.

An episode of Sherlock Holmes starring Jeremy Brett. On Britbox. 

Love this series.