FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,952 posts in this topic

Watching some English mid-1950's movies for a research project a friend is working on, which will expand into a book. We are consulting with his relative who was in the British forces for more information on field movements and the veracity of the films of the time relative to what was really happening with ground forces.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GordonCole said:

Watching some English mid-1950's movies for a research project a friend is working on, which will expand into a book. We are consulting with his relative who was in the British forces for more information on field movements and the veracity of the films of the time relative to what was really happening with ground forces.

Sounds interesting. Which films are you looking at, specifically?

Bringing up Baby (1938) 

I have seen this movie countless times, and it never fails to get old. I love Walter Catlett as Officer Slocum. What a great character actor. Sure, Cary and Kate were great, but Walter Catlett, Barry Fitzgerald, & Charlie Ruggles really makes the picture for me. 

• Like 3

Episodes of The Baron on Britbox. I'd never heard of this show before.

Borrows from Bond, with U.S. actor Steve Forrest in the lead role.

Produced in the mid-60s. The writing is very good. There's a lot of humor, and the performances are above average. Some of the stunts are exciting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baron

I'm watching the Staten Island ferry passing back and forth over Upper New York Bay and thinking about a woman who was wearing a red scarf ...

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'm watching the Staten Island ferry passing back and forth over Upper New York Bay and thinking about a woman who was wearing a red scarf ...

You need to post a picture of that. Of the ferry (not the woman). :) 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

What with? :P

You can't post a photo from your phone on this website? Really?

11 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

What?

You said you were watching the ferry. I asked why you couldn't take a photo of the ferry and post it.

But maybe you weren't watching an actual ferry and your comment was nonsense? LOL

Eh. My dumb gizmo has a calculator on it, and an alarm clock. What else. Oh yeah international time zone calculator too. All this other stuff I hear people do with their smart toys, I'm sure I don't know why its so fascinating. I love printed books, I'm an omnivorous reader. I'm happy as long as I have a book in muh pocket! ^_^

Anyway we're all tangled up here now. To regroup: I do have windows which face the water. I see the ferry all the time. Its neat. But I can't take a picture though--don't own a camera.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Eh. My dumb gizmo has a calculator on it, and an alarm clock. What else. Oh yeah international time zone calculator too. All this other stuff I hear people do with their smart toys, I'm sure I don't know why its so fascinating. I love printed books, I'm an omnivorous reader. I'm happy as long as I have a book in muh pocket! ^_^

Anyway we're all tangled up here now. To regroup: I do have windows which face the water. I see the ferry all the time. Its neat. But I can't take a picture though--don't own a camera.

Okay, thanks for explaining. I am glad we have regrouped. :) 

The first episode (and only one around I think) of The Ginger Rogers Show from 1961.  She was 50 at the time, but looks great..easily could pass for 30 something.  She plays twins, using a slightly different voice for each..Charles Ruggles co-stars as their uncle.  At the end of the show, Rogers addresses the audience, explaining that each twin will appear alone on most shows..that one is more serious and will encounter mystery, while the other is more romantic..hence a different 'theme' each week...wonder if they actually did that.  I watched on youtube, but as you may have noticed, some people don't id their videos (probably so they won't be taken down for infringement) so searching brings up nothing but a clip..so here's the link, in case anyone wants to see Ginger's tv show:   

I thought I was just copying the llink...oops...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, shutoo said:

The first episode (and only one around I think) of The Ginger Rogers Show from 1961.  She was 50 at the time, but looks great..easily could pass for 30 something.  She plays twins, using a slightly different voice for each..Charles Ruggles co-stars as their uncle.  At the end of the show, Rogers addresses the audience, explaining that each twin will appear alone on most shows..that one is more serious and will encounter mystery, while the other is more romantic..hence a different 'theme' each week...wonder if they actually did that.  I watched on youtube, but as you may have noticed, some people don't id their videos (probably so they won't be taken down for infringement) so searching brings up nothing but a clip..so here's the link, in case anyone wants to see Ginger's tv show:   

I thought I was just copying the llink...oops...

Thanks for mentioning this. On the IMDb, it's listed as a short film. It probably was a pilot for a weekly series that did not get picked up.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7586790/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12

16 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks for mentioning this. On the IMDb, it's listed as a short film. It probably was a pilot for a weekly series that did not get picked up.

It was shown, along with other unsold pilots, as part of a series called Vacation Playhouse evidently...poor Ginger--she's talking about future shows when there weren't any...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, shutoo said:

It was shown, along with other unsold pilots, as part of a series called Vacation Playhouse evidently...poor Ginger--she's talking about future shows when there weren't any...

Well, at least she tried. I guess that shows how much her career had declined by 1960 if she can't even get a one-season order for a new television series.

Episode of Cannon featuring Dana Wynter. 

I never realized her first name was pronounced like Donna. 

But that's how the announcer says it during the opening credits.

I found "It Shouldn't Happen to a Dog" (1946; Allyn Joslyn/Carol Landis) on an online archive, which was great, because I've been wanting to re-watch it after so many years. 

• Like 1

Daniel Deronda, I love these uppity British miniseries. The novel by George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans). I sometime get wary of these rich, spoiled characters, but this one has the protagonist's family go under and now she has to become a governess. Tee-hee. But she gets out of it, of course. I've seen one of three episodes and it's not bad at all. Not bad at all, by Jove.

Gearing up for "Private Fears and Public Places." (2006). Saw this about three weeks ago and I need a fix already.

Today's two-part episode of Emmerdale. Best episode of the year.