FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,967 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2019 at 12:29 PM, shutoo said:

Finally! Where Were You When the Lights Went Out?--the only Doris Day film I'd never seen (a link at last!)

Fitting.

• Like 1

About to delve into the world of silent film with "City Lights" and "Safety Last." I could never really get into silents before, but I'm trying again. 

• Like 2

A GAME OF DEATH (1945). It's a remake of THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME (1932), directed by Robert Wise.

I don't know why TCM has never played it. It's an RKO title.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:05 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

About to delve into the world of silent film with "City Lights" and "Safety Last." I could never really get into silents before, but I'm trying again. 

I was like that once. One day THE WIND came on and I watched, very tentatively at first. But my attention held fast and after a certain point it did not waver and I made it to the end. My very first complete silent. It broke the ice and I was very receptive after that. This may happen to you soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, laffite said:

I was like that once. One day THE WIND came on and I watched, very tentatively at first. But my attention held fast and after a certain point it did not waver and I made it to the end. My very first complete silent. It broke the ice and I was very receptive after that. This may happen to you soon.

I believe my first silent, beyond the odd Chaplin or Keaton short I may have caught on TV at some point, was The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Someone gifted me a bad public-domain VHS of it in the early VCR days. Then it was probably NosferatuMetropolis, and the Chaney Phantom of the Opera and Hunchback of Notre Dame. I didn't get more adventurous with silents until relatively recently, in the past 25 years or so. I would still like to delve more into them at some point.

Getting caught up on episodes of Coronation Street. I love the cast but the show has really gone to the dogs since the new producer took over the end of last year. He's wrecking things and it's sad to see it happen. Hopefully ITV shifts him to another show. I feel sorry for the cast having to perform this nonsense.

More Coronation Street. Just started today's episode...hope it's an improvement over the last few offerings.

I've been watching some Hildegarde Withers mysteries today. 

At present I am looking at MURDER ON A HONEYMOON (1935).

I am watching “A Girl, A Guy and A Gob” with Lucille Ball, Edmond O’Brien and George Murphy. This is an amusing comedy. O’Brien is especially young here. Dare I say I think he’s kind of cute in this movie? 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:41 PM, speedracer5 said:

I am watching “A Girl, A Guy and A Gob” with Lucille Ball, Edmond O’Brien and George Murphy. This is an amusing comedy. O’Brien is especially young here. Dare I say I think he’s kind of cute in this movie? 

I think he was married to Nancy Kelly around this time. But he would marry Olga San Juan a few years later.

On 6/11/2019 at 12:41 AM, speedracer5 said:

You can say it,  but I would need to see it to believe it (ha ha).

The film was made 18 months or so after The Hunchback of Notre Dame.    I remember the first time I saw O'Brien in that film I was surprised that he was handsome (after seeing him in so many 50s and 60s films).   

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You can say it,  but I would need to see it to believe it (ha ha).

The film was made 18 months or so after The Hunchback of Notre Dame.    I remember the first time I saw O'Brien in that film I was surprised that he was handsome (after seeing him in so many 50s and 60s films).   

Lol.  I didn't know that O'Brien was in The Hunchback of Notre Dame until a couple days ago when I was looking over his filmography.  I haven't seen 'Hunchback'.  I may need to seek it out the next time it airs on TCM.

Yes. He seemingly did not age well. He had a sad ending with a bout of Alzheimer's that left him being taken away from his home in a straitjacket and living out his final years in a sanitarium. I haven't gotten into his 1950s films yet.  The 1950s seem to be the time when he started aging rapidly. I've tried watching his Oscar-winning role in The Barefoot Contessa but I always fall asleep.  I can't even remember him or anything about that film.  

A Girl a Guy and a Gob was his second movie.  He was born in 1915, so he was 26 in 'Gob.' He looks very young in this film.  From the side profile, he reminds me of Desi Arnaz.  From the front (and the voice), obviously he is not Desi.  I just watched The Killers, DOA, White Heat and Backfire recently and enjoyed each film. I have A Double Life on hold at the library.  Right now, I'm trying to find 711 Ocean Drive.  It's not at the library.