FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,451 posts in this topic

*The Phantom Carriage (1921)* with English subtitles

This upload has very good picture quality, although a bit of fog creeps in here and there. I don't know the source of the score but one poster says, "..it is the proper music version.. not some.. restored version".

*A Matter of Life and Death (1946)*

The Technicolor processes are not completely visible here. Supposedly, the black & white sequences were shot in Technicolor film that was not fully developed, giving a sort of pearlescent quality to the scenes. I'm having difficulty noticing it in this YouTube version.

Today I've been watching a marathon of episodes of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." This show is one of a few shows where every actor and character is fantastic. Usually in shows that I watch, while I enjoy that show very much, there is oftentimes a character that I could do without. In MTM, every character serves their purpose and are excellent. "I Love Lucy" is the only other show I can think of that also fits this description.

Last night, I watched "A Touch of Mink" with Cary Grant and Doris Day. While the movie was amusing, it definitely wasn't one I'd rank high on my "rewatchability" meter. It wasn't as good as other films of Grant and Day's I've seen. I think it's funny that Doris Day, while probably in her mid to late 30s by this point, is always portrayed as so virginal and pure. It was also fun to see appearances by future television stars. John "Gomez" Astin from "The Addams Family," Dick "Darren II" Sergeant, and Richard "Mel Cooley/Lumpy's Dad" Deacon from "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Leave it to Beaver."

Last night I also watched "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" with Bette Davis and Errol Flynn. I've seen this film a few times before. This movie is very interesting. I think it's funny to see Errol completely blowing off Olivia De Havilland's advances. This film is very enjoyable except for the very end. Per the spoiler alert thread, I won't blow the ending. The only thing that annoys me about this movie is the quality of the DVD transfer. There are points in the movie where the picture is blurry and there are halos around some of the characters. This is evident during one of Errol's closeups and he is slightly blurred (Boo!).

>Today I've been watching a marathon of episodes of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Great show! It's been awhile since I've seen an episode of this. One of the first, I believe, sitcoms that had an ensemble cast, several of which could deliver a zinger. Ironically, MTM was not one of them. But she held it all together, she was likeable and she was a great reactor to the rest. Murray wasn't overly funny but he was always fun to watch because he hated Ted. Ted Baxter was one of the funniest characters in all sitcom history IMO. Betty White would only show up only every so often but she was a delight. She had icy sarcasm and/or innuendo all the while with that frozen smile that seemed vaguely erotic. And of course Rhoda.

>Last night, I watched "A Touch of Mink" with Cary Grant and Doris Day.

I like Doris. I saw this long ago, not one of my favorites of hers. This was one of the few movies where I thought a I detected a sort of off-screen incompatibility. I don't think Cary liked Doris. And this may be the reason that IMO they didn't quite jell in the on-screen story.

Can I ask a slightly off topic question:

How do you reference the prior poster's words in your reply? I see that you were able to include my text in a blue box above your reply.

I'd like to be able to do this to be able to provide better responses.

Thanks!

>Can I ask a slightly off topic question:

Click on the the reply button for the post you want to answer.

Scroll down and the post to which you want to answer will be there.

Copy what portion of the post you want to cite:

Paste it in the body of the area above where you type your message

Put the symbol > in front of the text you want to appear in the white box

You'll need to put this symbol in front of every paragraph.

When you click on Post Message you should see the white boxes

>Put the symbol > in front of the text you want to appear in the white box

>You'll need to put this symbol in front of every paragraph.

> When you click on Post Message you should see the white boxes

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. It took some trial and error to see how everything worked. The reply box on my screen is blue and the box where I type is white, so I was confused briefly. But I figured it out!

Edited by: speedracer5 on Jan 28, 2014 12:26 AM

A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

I know.. this is not old Hollywood fare but I have none of that at hand this evening.

I am uncovering all the new features of my new computer, one of them being a third party DVD/BluRay player which came pre-installed from Dell. This is installed because Microsoft no longer includes video players with Windows. So.. Dell has kindly included FREE full feature versions with many of their new units.

I'm not really paying attention either. I'm listening to it mostly as I fiddle with all the controls. I'll have to actually watch this "film" tomorrow evening. 

Crime and Punishment (1935)

:mellow:

I have not read the novel and after the director's comments, I'm afraid if I do it will ruin the film for me.

Texas (1941)

What did you think of this one? William Holden looked so young I hardly recognized him. The film is sort of fun romp, a little silly at times. How would you like to have a tooth pulled by Buford "Doc" Thorpe?  Edgar Buchanan showed a flair for comedy. I'm surprised he didn't have a more visible career. There's something of a WC Fields about him. Very funny man at times.

What did you think of this one? William Holden looked so young I hardly recognized him. The film is sort of fun romp, a little silly at times. How would you like to have a tooth pulled by Buford "Doc" Thorpe?  Edgar Buchanan showed a flair for comedy. I'm surprised he didn't have a more visible career. There's something of a WC Fields about him. Very funny man at times.

I flipped to the channel and wasn't going to stop, until I thought I saw William Holden.. but I had to look again several times. This must have been around the time of his dramatic change in appearance. His early years - he was practically unidentifiable with the William Holden most of us know.

He and Glenn Ford appeared about the same age and looked as if they were having a ball with this one. Heck, I was having a ball watching this one. Edgar Buchanan has always been one of my favorite character actors. He's got very good comedic chops which hit my funny bone just right.