FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,878 posts in this topic

Ken Burns' "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History" docuseries on PBS

"...a testament to the truth of how pain and hardship can shape a person into an American hero. “All the Roosevelts were wounded people with something to overcome,”

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-roosevelts/about/overview/

I've been long anticipating this series (Ken Burns and his people always do a great job) and am enjoying it .  I've always been a history buff and have read much about both Pres. Roosevelts,; there is always something new to learn.

• Like 2

Ken Burns' "The Roosevelts: An Intimate History" docuseries on PBS

"...a testament to the truth of how pain and hardship can shape a person into an American hero. “All the Roosevelts were wounded people with something to overcome,”

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-roosevelts/about/overview/

I'm enjoying this even more than anticipated.  Peter Coyote must be one of the best narrators ever.  And it took me three episodes to realize that Meryl Streep is Eleanor!  

• Like 2

I just finished watching the great Edward G Robinson in the 1932 film TWO SECONDS.  What a griping film,  the closing scene has Eddie giving as intense a performance as you will ever see on film.

I've been long anticipating this series (Ken Burns and his people always do a great job) and am enjoying it .  I've always been a history buff and have read much about both Pres. Roosevelts,; there is always something new to learn.

Such a great Ken Burns series on PBS.  Burns is masterful in all the series he has done over the years.  A genius.  A great history I read recently on TR, Taft, and the journalistic times is the recent fascinating book by Doris Kearns Goodwin : "The Bully Pulpit-Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism" (2013).  I highly recommend this intriguing and informative book.  I learned so much of these oft unremembered times and people as America came of age at the turn of the 20th Century.  Truly a fascinating and detailed history book.  Doris Kearns Goodwin:  I salute you.

• Like 2

Is it just me or does Peter Coyote's voice sound just a wee bit like a guy named Henry Fonda?  :)

Now that you mention it, yes.  It's a very sort of American heartland voice, isn't it?

Aha, you should look up the Wiki entry on Peter Coyote. I must admit I really didn't know much about him until I just looked it up.  The entry even says he has been compared to Henry Fonda (at least in voice).  But Mr Coyote (you should reference his real name) was born and raised in the NYC area and is of Jewish ancestry.  However he did attend college in Iowa (however that happened?) so maybe while there he picked up a little Fonda accent (Fonda hailed from Nebraska).  Of course I am saying all of this in a little good natured fun. Regardless, Peter Coyote has had a long and distinguished career on stage and film including tv.  And he does a great job of narration.

I just finished watching the last episode of the Ken Burns documentary of "The Roosevelts"  and must say it was an excellent series. It is great to know that with all of the mediocre stuff being put out there in the media and as "entertainment"  there are some people who are willing and able to put out quality product.  I just caught a glimpse of a C Span program with Ken Burns talking about the series, I must watch out for a replay so I can see the entire program.

• Like 3

I haven't watched much of the Roosevelts' documentary; I've watched the first part; but I have all the parts recorded on the DVR.  I'm looking forward to watching it.  I've loved all the Ken Burns' documentaries that I've seen.  I especially enjoyed the Prohibition one.  Netflix has many of his documentaries on Instant Streaming and I've been wanting to try and watch them-- always very well done and interesting. 

I believe Ken Burns' next documentaries for the next four years are going to be: Jackie Robinson, Vietnam, Country Music and Ernest Hemingway. 

Aha, you should look up the Wiki entry on Peter Coyote. I must admit I really didn't know much about him until I just looked it up.  The entry even says he has been compared to Henry Fonda (at least in voice).  But Mr Coyote (you should reference his real name) was born and raised in the NYC area and is of Jewish ancestry.  However he did attend college in Iowa (however that happened?) so maybe while there he picked up a little Fonda accent (Fonda hailed from Nebraska).  Of course I am saying all of this in a little good natured fun. Regardless, Peter Coyote has had a long and distinguished career on stage and film including tv.  And he does a great job of narration.

Several years ago I read his autobiography, so  knew he wasn't from Fonda country (as it were), but sure sounds like it. :)  Such a distinctive, special voice.  His book has some hair-raising stories about his experiences in San Francisco during the 1960s.  I heartily recommend it for autobiography lovers.

Network (1976).  It's really good!

I'm not used to seeing William Holden older.  I haven't seen any of his films from the latter half of his career-- I've mostly seen his 40s & 50s films.  It was weird to see him have a sex scene with Faye Dunaway and to hear him cursing (which I'm sure he did in real life; but I've never heard it, obviously). 

I'm at the part with Ned Beatty yelling at Howard Beale.  This film has been fascinating so far.  Can't wait to see if Beale goes through with his threat to commit suicide on the air.

I just watched THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE (again). Jason Robards didn't look at all like Al Capone, but he's such a superb actor that he makes you believe it. And the rest of the cast is first rate, too.

Now watching the annual Texas vs. Oklahoma football game held annually in the Cotton Bowl in Big D.  The Red River Rivalry.  I never miss this yearly grudge match.  One of the great traditional games.

I just watched THE ST. VALENTINE'S DAY MASSACRE (again). Jason Robards didn't look at all like Al Capone, but he's such a superb actor that he makes you believe it. And the rest of the cast is first rate, too.

I was also watching this on MOVIES last night.   Sometimes Robards was very good but other times the performance looked somewhat forced.     The use of the narrative was interesting.    To me the movie lacked a true gangster vibe due to the the 'bright' color used.   Of course I'm programmed to B&W gangster films done in the WB style.  So while the film had it moments something was just a little off. 

Here Comes Mr. Jordan.. TWICE ! 

Wow!

Seriously, I'm impressed !!!

Can you give us in at least 25 words why you liked it so much. There is a movie I have watched twice in a single viewing session sometime within the last 5 year I think ... but I can't remember it, damn! It may come to me.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Mary gets addicted to sleeping pills.

Just finished watching PBS' presentation of Carole King and James Taylor Live at the Troubadour

Must be the fifth time I've watched this - blows me away every time. Carole King is my favorite songwriter.

Sunday night I watched a British TV movie on PBS, Turks and Caicus, a political thriller.  Great cast:  Bill Nighy (wonderful actor!), Christopher Walken, Winona Ryder, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, and Rupert Graves.  It's one of a three-part series, and I hope to see the other two on PBS.