FredCDobbs

What Are You Watching Now?

2,809 posts in this topic

The Defense Rests--​a 1934 drama from Columbia.  I watched because of Jean Arthur, who plays a idealistic law school grad who seeks a job from an unscrupulous Jack Holt.  Holt is a well known attorney who really cares about nothing except his press coverage, hiring witnesses to lie in court in order to free some really bad folks.  And that's the problem with the premise--why would Arthur, who believes the law is a noble calling, strive to work with this guy who has no redeeming values?  Then we watch her fall into the 'she wants to mother him' phase, right into 'she falls for him' phase.  She never seems to see she is complicit in his dirty deeds...so does she 'change' him?  No way...only a woman killing herself in his office (he was really afraid she was going to kill him, he could care less about the woman) helps him 'see the light'.  Well, I'm still a Jean Arthur fan, so I'll give it a C...so so...

• Like 2

Artists and Models--​the Martin/Lewis version...just because I haven't seen it in a long time...vintage MacLaine doing a dancer's moves on a stairway during her musical number...pristine print (great stream)

• Like 1

An RKO film I'd never heard of before-- a British spy thriller with James Mason called HOTEL RESERVE. Maltin gives it a favourable review. It was uploaded on YouTube earlier today.

Just watched Lana Turner's version of "The Great Lady Has An Interview" (1954).  She wasn't a singer, but did a creditable job in the rhythmic section of the song, and she looked like she was having a good time.  An enjoyable 8-9 minutes.

Also, was that Richard Anderson as one of the chorus boys?

Someone uploaded A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE on YouTube. I'd heard about this film noir for years. It's fantastic. TCM really needs to show it.

Someone uploaded A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE on YouTube. I'd heard about this film noir for years. It's fantastic. TCM really needs to show it.

Do you know if Universal has re-released a digital version of A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE?      If not,  that would be the main reason TCM hasn't shown it.

Do you know if Universal has re-released a digital version of A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE?      If not,  that would be the main reason TCM hasn't shown it.

I'm not sure. The print on YouTube has the old AMC logo on it. It's never aired on TCM. And I don't think Universal has ever issued it on home video. It has a brilliant screenplay by Aldous Huxley. There's a remarkable storm scene with Jessica Tandy and Charles Boyer that is filmed in a most striking manner-- it's such a visually rich-looking noir. 

It's a lazy night tonight.  I've got chicken and dumpling soup in the crockpot, a kraken & coke on the end table, a pile of laundry to fold and a stack of movies to watch.  It was supposed to rain today and I was very much looking forward to it, but I seem to have been denied my Oregon rain.  Hopefully it'll come through for me tomorrow. There's nothing like watching movies on the couch, cuddled in a warm blanket with a cup of tea in hand watching a hard-broiled noir or something. 

Right now, I'm watching To Catch a Thief

• Like 1

Dracula (1931) - TCM

For the umpteenth time. Even though I have it on DVD. And I'll probably watch Dracula's Daughter (1936) and Son of Dracula (1943) later tonight. Simply because it is October and, therefore, it is the logical thing for me to do.

Sadly, TCM is not given us the Spanish Drácula (1931) this month since that one probably gets less network airings in general than the other twelve Dracula movies that they are showing.

I'm watching Palm Springs Weekend (1963) with Troy Donahue and Connie Stevens.  I also recognized Jerry Van Dyke, Carole Cook and Jack Weston.  This is definitely not any sort of Oscar contender, but I do enjoy the 1960s fluff movies--especially ones involving teenagers, or in the case of this film, 20-somethings. The 1960s dancing is my kind of dancing, something I could actually do.  Lol.

I feel sorry for whoever's house it is where they have the big brawl.  That beautiful house is trashed.

Now I've moved onto another of my favorite subgenres--60s teen beach movies!

I'm watching this absurd movie called For Those Who Think Young.  It's got everyone in it: Paul Lynde, Bob Denver, Tina Louise, Nancy Sinatra, James Darren... just to name a few.

The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940): starring Loretta Young and Ray Milland. Found this one on YouTube and looking forward to finishing it after I finish applying for jobs here in CA. All I know so far of this movie, is Loretta is forced to drive home to the city with Milland after finding out that the train from their lodge had already taken off. These two already hate each other, what fun :) 

• Like 1

The Doctor Takes a Wife (1940): starring Loretta Young and Ray Milland. Found this one on YouTube and looking forward to finishing it after I finish applying for jobs here in CA. All I know so far of this movie, is Loretta is forced to drive home to the city with Milland after finding out that the train from their lodge had already taken off. These two already hate each other, what fun 

I rather like Loretta's early 40s comedies at Columbia. Also recommended: BEDTIME STORY with Fredric March and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne. They're both currently on YouTube.

• Like 1

You Gotta Stay Happy ​(1948)--In the 'why haven't I seen this before?' category.  This rom/com is your basic runaway heiress bride--with some twists and a very good cast.  Joan Fontaine is the fickle bride who rejects her new hubby on her wedding night, and ends up in the room of the gallant fellow who came to her rescue - James Stewart.  Since Stewart wants to believe she is a poor girl in distress, she lets him believe it, and even talks her way onto his cargo plane for a getaway.  Eddie Albert is terrific as Stewart's fun loving partner/co pilot, and their cross-country flight is made memorable by 'cargo' of a cigar smoking chimp, frozen fish, a coffin, a southern newlywed couple, and a suspiciously jumpy man. A storm forces the plane down near a farm, and who should come to their rescue, but Percy Kilbride who squeezes them in among his dozen kids (no, his wife isn't Marjorie Main...but this a Universal film, and they wanted to get the Kettle theme in..). Because of the delay, Stewart's business is kaput, but don't worry...there is a happy ending (of course!) Predictable, but a fun watch.  I have no idea of how 'available' the film is..I found it on a Kodi add-on (Pyramid)

I rather like Loretta's early 40s comedies at Columbia. Also recommended: BEDTIME STORY with Fredric March and A NIGHT TO REMEMBER with Brian Aherne. They're both currently on YouTube.

I will have to give those 2 a try! I too enjoy Loretta's earlier comedies :) 

• Like 1

I will have to give those 2 a try! I too enjoy Loretta's earlier comedies :)

Good. I hope you do! BEDTIME STORY (1941) is excellent with wonderful supporting players (Robert Benchley, Eve Arden and Helen Westley).

A Republic noir from 1955 called NO MAN'S WOMAN, starring Marie Windsor. Not bad. It's on YouTube. Good print quality.

"Paree, Paree" (1934)--Fun condensation of Cole Porters' "50 Million Frenchmen" with Dorothy Stone, who sang well and did high kicks almost as well as Charlotte Greenwood, and Bob Hope, who sang fairly well, although his voice wasn't as strong as Stones'.  Hope was already ad-libbing and getting laughs, even this early.  Choreographer Allan K. Foster tried to imitate Busby Berkeley's style.  This must have been filmed after the Code went into effect.  The censors didn't pay much attention to the lyrics; one double entendre was eliminated from the song "Find Me A Primitive Man", but the rest were left intact.

• Like 1

A Universal noir called THE FAT MAN, on YouTube. I think the series Jake and the Fat Man is derived from it. A hefty sleuth with a lot of personality tries to figure out what happened to a young man (Rock Hudson) who loved a girl (Julie London) then disappeared. It's actually a very absorbing mystery.

​Has Anybody Seen My Gal​--for some reason, I thought I'd seen this 1952 film...until I actually watched it.  Sounds like a musical, but it's not--it's a comedy with some serious overtones, and is really pretty good. Although he gets third billing, Charles Coburn is the star, very much in his More the Merrier​ character as the cantankerous old guy who moves in and disrupts the status quo.  Here, he is a very wealthy man, with no family to leave the $ to, so he decides to leave it to the family of the woman who turned him down when he was young...his thinking is if she hadn't, he wouldn't have gone off and made a fortune.  He manages to move in with her daughter, Lynn Bari, and her family to see if they are 'deserving' and gives them ( anonymously) a bit of it (100 grand)--in the 20's, that was quite a gift.  Social climber Bari gets carried away and the whole family is affected-- most notably the romance between daughter Piper Laurie and Rock Hudson, and the happiness of young daughter Gigi Perreau (who is a scene stealer).  If you watch closely, you can see soda-jerk Hudson serving young James Dean at the local drugstore.  Nice, even if a little predictable, story line and good performances...particularly Perreau and Coburn.

• Like 1

Watching Emmerdale. I missed yesterday's episode so I was trying to catch up. There are three episodes that will be broadcast on Thursday.